Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Half a millions Brits only wash their sheets three times A YEAR 
    Half a millions Brits only wash their sheets three times A YEAR

By Daily Mail Reporter
    Last updated at 8:16 PM on 16th February 2010

Waking up in the bed of a stranger is often an unsavoury experience and now new research has revealed frightening figures about what it is you could be sharing with.

A poll suggests that more than half a million Britons only wash their sheets three times a year, allowing some 10 million bugs and dust mites to settle in for a night cap alongside them.

Londoners are the most frowzy - almost a quarter of the capital's inhabitants opt for the four-monthly approach - while just eight per cent of house-proud people in Northern Ireland are the same. One is six do it only once a month.

The staggering statistic comes at a time when most of us are spending 49 hours a week under the covers to avoid the cold snap. Despite forking out an average £1,020 for a bed and linen, almost half of people surveyed admitted to regularly eating in bed and running the risk of encouraging further creatures.

The poll carried out by insurance firm Sheilas' Wheels revealed that under 25s had the dirtiest sheets with one in 10 polled washing them only six times a year. The elders among us, in contrast, aired their dirty laundry an average of three times a month.

Jacky Brown, of Sheilas' Wheels said: 'With the cold weather making our beds more irresistible than ever, Brits are currently spending more than 49 hours a week sleeping in. 'The bed is one of the most used and expensive items in the home.

'So it's astonishing that more people aren't keeping it clean, with many beds being used as an alternative to the kitchen table for a place to breakfast or snack.'

Environmental health expert Dr Lisa Ackerley said: 'It's estimated that 10 per cent of the weight of a two year pillow is comprised of dead skin and dust mites.
    ZOMG! Ewwww! :eek:

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0fjUQem40

They must change their sheets around the same time they brush their teeth, right? :D

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Wow! I'm not OCD, but that scares me! :eek:
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

I'm sure this isn't some kind of "British" thing. I'll bet you'd find the same thing in the USA. :(

For the record: I buy new pillows about every 3 months. It's that or nuking them from space just to be sure.

Banned
    My ex used to eat in bed which would gross me out. However, the sheets got washed once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I'm sure this isn't some kind of "British" thing. I'll bet you'd find the same thing in the USA. :(

For the record: I buy new pillows about every 3 months. It's that or nuking them from space just to be sure.

I buy pillows that can be put in the washing machine, and wash them about every 3 months. But I wash my sheets weekly, including the comforter and shams. I wash the mattress pad at least once a month.

I was so repulsed when my brother in law told me that hotels only wash the bedspreads/comforters once a month. That is so disgusting.

Of course I never wash them. I just go and buy new ones every week and give the dirties to the poor people.

Doesn't everyone? :p
    nie vergessen, nie verzeihen.

When I lived in Switzerland, I learned that it's a European thing to open your windows during nice weather and put your top covers in the window to air out... They were always pretty fresh, but I'd still wash them pretty regularly..
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post

Barneys sheets are rather crisp !

In four months I think you'll replace the outer layer of skin about 8 times. :eek:
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.