Thread: Rel: What do you believe?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Rel: What do you believe? 
    As I am relatively new to CU, and certain people have made assumptions about my spiritual beliefs, I thought I would create a thread that addresses this issue as it relates to all members who wish to opine on this subject. I am doing this so that I might have a better handle on where each of you stands with regard to your beliefs in a god, or lack thereof, and your reason for selecting your religious affiliation if you have one.

I would ask that you follow the format below in your responses (each of which is optional) and that all comments remain on topic. I further ask that respect for the opinions of others' prevails at all times.

I will go first in the example format that I ask that you follow.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Do you believe in God (Yes/No): Yes

2. If you answered Yes to #1, very briefly explain why (you can expound later): Mostly because I just know there is more to all of this than meets our natural senses. But also because science, rather than disproving God, validates God's existence to me with each new discovery.

3. If you answered No to #1; very briefly explain why (you can expound later):

2. What is your religious affiliation? None

3. How much of the Bible have you read?
    All of it ( X )
    Mostly the Old Testament ( )
    Mostly the New Testament ( )
    A little of both ( )
    None ( )

4. Do you believe the Bible is the literal word of God? No

5. Have you explored the history of the Bible (its stories, how today's Bible came about, etc.)? Yes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So answer and discuss.

If you choose to participate, thanks.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." ~ Albert Einstein

Shouldn't this be in Sports.

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    Shouldn't this be in Sports.
    Why, are you a bad sport there too?
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    Why, are you a bad sport there too?
    Yankee Fan.

:D

Traditionally, our REL: topics were always in Sports because Coach was the only one willing to referee them. :)
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    Yankee Fan.

:D
    Next contestant please.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSmith View Post
    Traditionally, our REL: topics were always in Sports because Coach was the only one willing to referee them. :)
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSmith View Post
    This will be refereed, madam, I can assure you. Kudos on your avoidance technique though.

2. If you answered Yes to #1, very briefly explain why (you can expound later): I have had a life changing born again experience and I know, because I know, because I know that Jesus Christ is God and that he loves me and I love Him. :)

2. What is your religious affiliation? Christian

All of it ( X ) repeatedly
    A little of both ( )
    None ( )

4. Do you believe the Bible is the literal word of God? I believe that the Bible is truthfully recorded and contains the written word of God.

5. Have you explored the history of the Bible (its stories, how today's Bible came about, etc.)? Yup.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

2. If you answered Yes to #1, very briefly explain why (you can expound later): Short: I don't have enough "faith" to believe that all this came about by accident. Also, I've met His Son, always a life and heart changing event.

2. What is your religious affiliation? Southern Baptist

All of it ( X ) Except not all of a couple of the OT books of prophesy. Most of the NT repeatedly.
    A little of both ( )
    None ( )

4. Do you believe the Bible is the literal word of God? The original manuscripts, yes. Our current translations are as close as we can get.

5. Have you explored the history of the Bible (its stories, how today's Bible came about, etc.)? Yes, and examined evidence, as in "New Evidence That Demands a Verdict." Also happen to be married to a minister, so have my own walking, talking reference manual at need. :D
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.