Thread: Arizona Speed Cameras Incite a Mini Revolt

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Arizona Speed Cameras Incite a Mini Revolt 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Reporting from Phoenix - Arizonans drive long distances on their highways, and they like to do it fast.But since the Grand Canyon State began enforcing speed limits with roadside cameras, motorists are raging against the machines: They have blocked out the lenses with Post-it notes or Silly String. During the Christmas holidays, they covered the cameras with boxes, complete with wrapping paper.

One dissenting citizen went after a camera with a pick ax.

Arizona is the only state to implement "photo enforcement," as it's known, on major highways and is one of 12 states and 52 communities, plus the District of Columbia, with speed cameras, according to the nonprofit Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

The cameras, paired with radar devices, photograph vehicles exceeding the speed limit by 11 mph or more. A notice of violation -- carrying a fine of $181.50 -- is then sent to the address of the vehicle's registered owner.

In California, speed cameras are illegal, but Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger proposed a program to add speed enforcement capabilities to 500 red-light cameras to generate $338 million for the 2010-11 budget. The proposal is unlikely to be a part of the Legislature's upcoming budget recommendations.

State Assembly Budget Committee Chairwoman Noreen Evans (D-Santa Rosa) has described the proposal as "silly."

"It's using big-brother tactics to balance the state budget," she said. "It's outlandish."

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-a...tory?track=rss

Resident Grump
    Maricopa County...dear dear me, "hero" Sheriff Joe didnt step in and save you?

Tsk

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    Maricopa County...dear dear me, "hero" Sheriff Joe didnt step in and save you?

Tsk
    Why can't someone mention the state of Arizona without you having to take a pot shot at Arpaio. We get it. You don't like the guy. I mean, wow. The Cardinals lost to the Saints. Is that Arpaio's fault too? Get a life already.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Why can't someone mention the state of Arizona without you having to take a pot shot at Arpaio. We get it. You don't like the guy. I mean, wow. The Cardinals lost to the Saints. Is that Arpaio's fault too? Get a life already.
    LOL.

Yeah Sonna, Joe is the SHERIFF of Maricopa County. The speed cameras are administered by the AZ Department of Public Safety, known in most other states as the "State Police". They report to the Governor of Arizona. The cameras were started under Janet Napolitano, and when they saw what a cash cow they are, they are expanding their use.

rm -rf obama*

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Preaching to an argumentative retard with a one track mind is useless.

Good for the resistance! These devices are a lot less reliable than the state or the manufacturer likes to let on. I would have no problem with civil disobedience on this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Good for the resistance! These devices are a lot less reliable than the state or the manufacturer likes to let on. I would have no problem with civil disobedience on this matter.
    A ticked off Zonie can come up with unique ways of expressing their displeasure.....
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

NeunElfer SuperMod hampshirebrit's Avatar
    Illegal in California?

I'm amazed to hear that. Looks like even California can get at least one thing right.
    nie vergessen, nie verzeihen.

Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    Illegal in California?

I'm amazed to hear that. Looks like even California can get at least one thing right.
    I noticed some blatant Brit bashing on a sheet thread! You better get right on it!:D

NeunElfer SuperMod hampshirebrit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I noticed some blatant Brit bashing on a sheet thread! You better get right on it!:D
    As if I should care. Brit bashing is one of the favourite habits of the great foreign unwashed peoples of the world.
    nie vergessen, nie verzeihen.