Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 So a guy comes to my door yesterday and knocks 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    A Mari333 Bouncy!!!!!

Mari333 (1000+ posts) Sat Feb-20-10 07:05 AM
    Original message

So a guy comes to my door yesterday and knocks

and he asks me if I can give him money.

Now, mind you, I live in a small small town. I dont know this guy, but this is the second time he has come to my door and asked for money.

He had once come back during the snowstorm in December and asked if he could shovel the walk.

I said okay, and paid him 20 dollars at the time to shovel the walk and the driveway. Seemed like a nice man, in his 40s, and thats what people do in small towns.

But that was once.

Then, in January, he comes over and knocks again and asks me if I would lend him money. I dont know this guy. He said his daughter needed medicine. I never met his daughter. I said no. I was nice, and polite, but I have a limited income.

I thought that would take care of it. But he comes by again, yesterday, with his kid in the car , and asks again. Now, he needs free money for his daughter's birthday, he said. He kept saying "Im not a bad guy, I just need some money".

I said no, Im sorry, I cant.

I am a nice person, I get into trouble being too empathatic, but what would you do?

I dont want to start a bad habit with him or myself. I had to say no, but again I was very nice about it.

just wondering what any of you think about this.
    Well Mari, I think you are just throwing together another bullshit story to feed to your buddies at the DUmp. But that's just me...

Some interesting comments. Raven makes an apperance and gets Mari to call the cops on the guy...assuming this actually all happened. :D
    May the FORCE be with you!

I don't want to start a bad habit with him or myself. I had to say no, but again I was very nice about it.
    I find it incredible that someone over there would say "I don't want to start a bad habit with him or myself.". If the OP would only think in those terms on a grander scale.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

Mari you hypocrite. This is the Barry mantra. You voted for him, start following it.

The guy knocking on your door has less than you. Therefore you have to give him some of yours so that we all rise together. Barry told us this. Why are you not playing along?

Or is "something for nothing" starting to leave a bitter taste in your mouth?

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostThere View Post
    I find it incredible that someone over there would say "I don't want to start a bad habit with him or myself.". If the OP would only think in those terms on a grander scale.
    The irony in that thread is staggering.

5. #5 Go 
    Tell John Edwards to get a job and stop knocking on your door.
    ________
    MY WEBCAMS HOOKUP
    Last edited by obx; 03-21-2011 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BDMcGee View Post
    The irony in that thread is staggering.
    I was thinking the same thing.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

This is really funny because I just read the thread about a DUmmies' kid giving his "money" to a less fortunate kid at school and the following comments about how you'd never see a 'conservative' do that . . and now this. Who, besides themselves, do they think they are kidding????

If Mari333 is the poster I think she is, she lives in the same part of Michigan that my sister lives in-St. Joe/Benton Harbor. I actually do believe this post, even though I don't believe half the crap they post over there. If Mari lives in Benton Harbor, it is the poorest city in Michigan, and has been for some time. It is rural poverty, which is very different from the urban poverty that most associate with Michigan, because of Detroit. It's poverty with a face you know.

Berrien County was once a thriving farm-based community.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    If Mari333 is the poster I think she is, she lives in the same part of Michigan that my sister lives in-St. Joe/Benton Harbor. I actually do believe this post, even though I don't believe half the crap they post over there. If Mari lives in Benton Harbor, it is the poorest city in Michigan, and has been for some time. It is rural poverty, which is very different from the urban poverty that most associate with Michigan, because of Detroit. It's poverty with a face you know.

Berrien County was once a thriving farm-based community.
    I would have thought that Benton Harbor would be somewhat immune to an economic downturn. It has long been one of the destinations for Chicagoans for weekend vacations.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    I would have thought that Benton Harbor would be somewhat immune to an economic downturn. It has long been one of the destinations for Chicagoans for weekend vacations.

St. Joseph is the destination for Chicagoans. They have all the beaches, Benton Harbor only has one beach on Lake Michigan. The rest of their waterfront is on the St. Joseph River, which is where the "harbor" is. The quaint little town with the little stores, restaurants and pricey hotels is St. Joseph.

BH has been having problems since I was in high school. When I was in college at WMU, I worked at the K-Mart near campus. We used to send all of the clearance merchandise that we couldn't sell to the Benton Harbor store, which no longer exists. I think that prior to the 80s, there was a Fisher Body plant or other GM plant there, and it closed during the early problems in the auto industry. Whirpool is the only major industry they have, and farming is now a corporate thing in Michigan.

My sister was telling me some of the fraud that's been uncovered in Benton Harbor's city government and school system. It seems petty next to some of the things that have been discovered in the Detroit Public Schools, but for a community as small as BH, the scale is different. A $30,000 scandal is as important to them and is as big of a loss to their budget as a $3 million one is in Detroit.