Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 2 students shot, 1 man arrested at Deer Creek Middle School 
    2 students shot, 1 man arrested at Deer Creek Middle School

By Howard Pankratz, Kevin Vaughan and Joey Bunch
    The Denver Post

Posted: 02/23/2010 03:37:08 PM MST
    Updated: 02/23/2010 10:31:57 PM MST

Debbie Center consoles her visibly upset daughter Deanna, 13, who was in the middle school library at the time of the shooting. (Kathryn Scott Osler, The Denver Post)

Mark Techmeyer, spokesman for the sheriff's department, said the two juveniles have been transported to a hospital where they are in stable condition.

He said both victims were outside the school.

The shooting was reported at 3:14 p.m., according to Techmeyer. The students were identified as Reagan Weber and Matt Thieu. Both 8th graders were initially treated at Littleton Adventist Hospital, but Matt was transferred to Children's Hospital where he was listed in critical condition tonight. Reagan was treated in the emergency room

Techmeyer said earlier Tuesday that the children's wounds are not thought to be life-threatening although the 32-year-old man, identified tonight as Bruco Strong Eagle Eastwood, was using a "high-powered rifle."

Eastwood has prior arrests for menacing and domestic violence, according to computerized court records.

Jared Nelson, 13, was on a bus when he saw the gunman round a corner on the north side of the school, pull a rifle off his shoulder, fire a round into the air and then shoot a student.

"It was kind of shocking when I saw it happening," he said.

Several people said that math teacher David Benke then charged and tackled the gunman as he got off a second shot.

To be clear here, it was a bolt-action .30-06 that the 32 year old stole from his father. He's crazy. The guy has been hearing voices for some time. :(

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/ci_14456094#ixzz0gTAjpECw

Pretty heroic on the math teacher's part, tackling the guy while he was firing his 2nd shot.

Thank God this wasn't worse. I hope and pray that the child in intensive care recovers soon.

To be clear here, it was a bolt-action .30-06 that the 32 year old stole from his father. He's crazy. The guy has been hearing voices for some time.
    That won't stop the gun-grabber liberal weenies from screaming about the "scary" guns and the need to disarm everybody.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    That won't stop the gun-grabber liberal weenies from screaming about the "scary" guns and the need to disarm everybody.
    You're 100% correct and the funny thing is their logic is 180 degrees out of phase. As long as we have crazies running the streets, folks need a means of protecting themselves. Every time I hear a story like this it just reaffirms my resolve that I'd never surrender my weapons. I can't really run or fight anymore, but I can shoot.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

Awesome courage and intelligence on the part of the teacher.. He said that he saw it was a bolt-action rifle and knew the guy couldn't reload before he tackled him... Amazing that a teacher knew anything more about guns than they're scary, but kudos to him!! Buy that man a Bud Light!
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Prayers for the kids and their families and a hearty "well done" to the teacher.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    i have a friend that lives not far from there, it was heroic on the part of the Teacher. it was BS that the article called a 30-06 "hi" powered make it sound like it was and AK or something...even that would be pathetic

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    i have a friend that lives not far from there, it was heroic on the part of the Teacher. it was BS that the article called a 30-06 "hi" powered make it sound like it was and AK or something...even that would be pathetic
    Well for that matter a 30-06 is more powerful than an AK.

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    It was a normal hunting rifle that any of us probably have.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Well for that matter a 30-06 is more powerful than an AK.
    7.62 flies at 2100 FPS, which isn't much less than a 30.06. But the .06 does have twice the kinetic energy.
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke