1. #1 Sen. Durbin Destroys Republican Arguments on Malpractice Reform 
    link

democracy1st (1000+ posts) Thu Feb-25-10 04:21 PM
    Original message
    Sen. Durbin Destroys Republican Arguments on Malpractice Reform
    Edited on Thu Feb-25-10 04:27 PM by democracy1st

If you were asked over the last 20 yrs if the number of paid malpractice claims have doubled or been cut in half, If you listen to most people here you'd say they must have doubled..No,according to the Kaiser Foundation they've been cut in half...
    theoldman (1000+ posts) Thu Feb-25-10 04:34 PM
    Response to Original message
    3. Here in Texas we have had tort reform.
    The insurance premiums have been reduced and doctors have saved money. Has this helped the public? Hell no, the doctors have put the savings in their pockets so medical costs have not been reduced. Tort reform in its present form only helps the doctors and the insurance companies.
    What kind of logic is this?

The insurance premiums have been reduced...and that only helps the doctors and insurance companies and not the public?

If premiums have been reduced where are the doctors getting this "extra money-savings".

If medical costs have not gone down how can the insurance companies decrease premiums and still survive?

Idiots!! How ignorant can they possibly be?

LaPera (1000+ posts) Thu Feb-25-10 04:45 PM
    5. This is fucking great-Dubin blew-away the republicans long time bullshit arguements used by the
    Edited on Thu Feb-25-10 04:47 PM by LaPera
    the republicans in defense of the lying, incompetent rich & medical facility corporations and the bullshit reasons republican use against health care reform!!

A MUST SEE!
    Which means Durbin talked and maybe yelled a bit and/or talked over the Republican. He lied a bit (ends justify the means) and for that DU hero worships the politican. That's all it takes to be a "hero" at DU.

I work in healthcare. I can guarantee that every major cost is held up against the possibility of a law suit. I've seen that put a very iffy expense over the top time and again. It's one thing to purchase something because it's needed, or replace equipment that's worn out...but to replace something because someone insists that "it looks like it could cause a problem" despite being perfectly safe... happens all the time. If in doubt, spend the money. "It's bound to be cheaper than a law suit."
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

I believe they were speaking of the savings the doctors enjoy on their reduced Malpractice Insurance Premiums not being passed along to the patient as reduced costs for service.

Not reduced Health Insurance Premiums for the patients themselves.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people.
    It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."
    -- John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by aerojarod View Post
    I believe they were speaking of the savings the doctors enjoy on their reduced Malpractice Insurance Premiums not being passed along to the patient as reduced costs for service.

Not reduced Health Insurance Premiums for the patients themselves.

If patient premiums are reduced then it reflects that the insurers are having to pay healthcare providers less. This means that healthcare providers are making less money, not more. Not rocket surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by FDK View Post
    If patient premiums are reduced then it reflects that the insurers are having to pay healthcare providers less. This means that healthcare providers are making less money, not more. Not rocket surgery.
    We need to clarify what we're talking about here:

theoldman (1000+ posts) Thu Feb-25-10 04:34 PM
    3. Here in Texas we have had tort reform.
    The (doctors malpractice insurance) insurance premiums have been reduced and doctors have saved money. Has this helped the public? Hell no, the doctors have put the savings in their pockets so medical costs have not been reduced. Tort reform in its present form only helps the doctors and the insurance companies.
    emphesis mine
    -- John Adams

But it is being passed on to them in the form of lower premiums. If tort reform hadn't happened they would be paying those increased premiums.

If the premiums are lower it means the doctors are charging less because their overhead is lower.

I suppose they think the Doctors are supposed to give them cash?

Edit: Add: Oh, I see what you mean. OK they aren't seeing lower health care costs but they are seeing better access to health care as more and more doctors are willing to practice in Texas, and more are willing to do some of the riskier (but necessary) procedures and operations. You know those that are "last ditch attempts" where people are willing to take the risk because of it's potential for help (vs. sure impairment or death.)
    Last edited by Carol; 02-26-2010 at 12:12 PM.

That may be the case, but I don't see any proof of it, or that statement being made by the Dummy that you quoted. He said:

1) Texas has had tort reform
    2) The malpractice insurance premiums for Dr.'s have gone down.
    3) Dr.'s haven't passed that savings down to patients as reduced costs for services.
    4) Malpractice Insureres enjoy not having to pay out gigantic settlements anymore in Texas.
    5) Where's the benefit for patients we were promised?

Beleive me, I'm not arguing against Tort Reform, its propsed benefits to the patient/consumer, and i'm certainly not advocating for the DUmmy.

I just wanted to point out that I believe you incorrectly interpreted what they wrote.
    -- John Adams

The insurance premiums have been reduced...and that only helps the doctors and insurance companies and not the public?

That's the DUmmy's claim. That reduced malpractice ins. premiums for the doctors have not lowered health insurance premiums for the public

If premiums have been reduced where are the doctors getting this "extra money-savings".

Again, it's the Dr's malpractic ins. premiums that have gone down due to tort reform. That THEY pay, not You, me, or the public.

If medical costs have not gone down how can the insurance companies decrease premiums and still survive?

You've made the DUmmy's point for him. Medical costs and Health Ins. Premiums HAVEN'T Gone down... according to him. I've seen no data.

Idiots!! How ignorant can they possibly be?

Understand what you're arguing about before throw stones...
    This is what we conservatives are for, correct? Better logic?
    -- John Adams