Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Saturday: Let's PLAY 
    Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    One of the great pleasures of being an adult is the opportunity to play with a child. Play. What a treasure. What a chance to be young again.

So many times our play is anything but fun. We play tennis. We play golf. We obsess over it. We worry about the result. We take lessons. To play.

Games. It doesn't have to be that way. We can play for the pure pleasure of it. Perform well. Do well. The game is a blessing, if we allow it to be.

In cycling, in running, as i grow older, my times get longer, not shorter. It takes more to cover a mile. To climb a hill. To reach the finish line.

There is more to it than the time, the result, the score. There is the doing of it.

Games. Remember marbles? Jacks? Checkers? What do you play?

TOTD: What does it mean for you to play? What is your game?

I like to win. I like to push hard. But as I get older, as time passes, the more I realize that the opponent isn't the other guy, the opponent is time itself. Sometimes, the opponent is inertia: an object at rest tends to remain at rest...etc..etc...

I played checkers with a child this week. It was fun. It didn''t matter who won. When I play basketball, I play hard. I want to win. But both things are play. Both kinds of games matter, for different reasons.

What do you like to play? What is your game? What does it mean to win? What does it mean to play?
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

TOTD

What do you like to play? Miniature wargames

What is your game? Warhammer 40,000 and Warmachine

What does it mean to win? Winning is secondary to having fun with friends. As long as me and my opponent have a good time, it doesn't matter who wins....unless it's a tournament. In that case, utterly crushing my opponent on the field of battle comes first and foremost. :D

What does it mean to play? It means, to me anyway, relaxing & having a good time with close friends and the chance to make new friends that share my hobby.
    Last edited by Zathras; 08-02-2008 at 03:46 AM.

Up at friggin' 7:30am (I hate my body-clock) after getting to bed at almost 3am...in case you hadn't heard, the 4th and final book in the hugely popular teen vampire series, Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyers, went on sale at midnight last night. Not the massive crowds we saw for Harry Potter but big enough. And this coming from a relative unknown author a few years ago who now has a feature film from the first book hitting theaters this December.

TOTD: I like to play video games with the Brat but I don't care about winning (he usually kicks my butt anyway) but I love playing just to play. We sometimes play board games as a family (but not so much lately, which we need to do more of) like Sorry, Clue, Scrabble, and Connect Four.

Adults need to try and take more time out of their hectic lives to just sit and play. Hell, too many kids are in such a damn hurry to "grow up" they stop doing so at like twelve, I think.
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Banned
    Hazy, overcast day here in the megalopolis. Not a lot on for this weekend (we decided not to go to the Newport Festival). Once my girlfriend gets back from drilling, we're just planning on a bit of light shopping (Whole Foods and B&N), a movie, a bit of cooking (something light), some wine, etc.

TOTD: Interesting. During my Pleasant Valley Sunday days, I used to play a lot of golf (at least two rounds a week), as well as a lot of board games, particularly Trivial Pursuit and Clue. In those, winning didn't really matter; rather, I was the pleasure of the experience. During that period it was also getting into early video games (guess which was my favorite :D) in which "winning" was more of an iterative experience.

When I left the US, bridge became my game and it was deadly serious. In Saudi, the expats have local bridge clubs, generally with sessions two night a week. I had one partner, a American residing in Oz and in Saudi for the same client as me, for over a year with whom I won some local competitions. Winning was everything and we were quite good. I continued playing in the UK and Bosnia, although noit as frequently or as intently.

Since returning, I've not gotten much into games -- an occassional round of golf, an occassional interesting video game. We spend most of our time either travelling or dealing with the everyday requirements of life. However, one might consider CU a bit of a game. :D

Shooting is my game! Sadly I dont get to do it as much anymore, ammo is expensive :o
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants, it is the creed of slaves." -William Pitt

I've just returned from dead heading and doing some general garden clean up. This one type of lettuce I planted is just bolting like crazy. Today will be the last maximum hot day for a while but it will still be icky well into next week.

TOTD: I like to play cards: Spades, bridge. Hearts, etc. However, I also really like to win so that's probably not the kind of game Bubba is thinking about. I would like to get into golf more. As it is, I spend all my time at the driving range.

For just sheer fun I enjoy shooting trap or skeet and playing ping pong. When I'm shooting, I'm really competing against myself but when I play ping pong, I'm really playing. :D

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    I'm cleaning the house today. I was thinking of doing it tomorrow just to shake up my routine but it just felt wrong. I'm also reading those teen vampire books and am appalled that I like them.

TOTD: I am the Connect Four Queen. The only way I can get someone to play against me now is if Tristan has an unsuspecting friend over.:( I love Clue and Trivial Pursuit too. I used to play Spades on a daily basis. I loved that game but haven't really played cards in years. As for outside games, I love croquet.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I'm cleaning the house today. I was thinking of doing it tomorrow just to shake up my routine but it just felt wrong.
    Sadly, I can completely relate to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    TOTD

What do you like to play? Miniature wargames
    Me too!

28mm sci fi and post apocalyptic skirmish, WWII Naval and WWII 20mm.

It's an outlet for my creative talents and the conventions I go to are my thrice yearly "Dad" weekends where I can go the gathering of the nerd nation and sit in bars and sing songs in between arguing about German armor and Russian small arms! :D

And it isn't usually about winning. Sometimes I would rather do the Fun thing than the Smart thing just to see what happens.
    Last edited by asdf2231; 08-02-2008 at 05:38 PM.

Poker. And losing is not an option.
    Be Not Afraid.