Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Call For Summer Squash Recipes. 
    It's coming on and I don't like sweet things. What's your best recipe?

I am no great fan of squash so I don't grow it but I was looking up some courgette and squash recipes for someone and came across these ones: http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ipes_6892.html

Summer Squash Frittata for Two
    Serve this frittata for breakfast, brunch, or a simple dinner. Italians serve it at room temperature, but you may also serve it hot or cold. Garnish with cherry tomatoes or salsa if you like.

1 Tablespoon olive oil
    2 Tablespoons chopped onion
    1/4 pound mushrooms, sliced thin
    1 medium zucchini (or 2-3 pattypan or crookneck), sliced thin
    1 cup chopped Swiss chard leaves
    1 Tablespoon minced fresh parsley
    2 teaspoons minced fresh basil
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
    3 large eggs, lightly beaten with 2 teaspoons water
    2 to 3 Tablespoons shredded Gruyere or Parmesan cheese

1. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and mushrooms and sauté for two minutes.

2. Add the squash, chard, parsley, basil, salt, and pepper. Sauté for about two minutes, or until the vegetables are tender-crisp.

3. Pour in the eggs, cover and cook for about two minutes, or until eggs are almost set. Sprinkle the frittata with cheese and broil until set.

Can't vouch for quality, but the frittata one should be good.

That's a good idea. I often use it in stir fry and I love eggs. I'll skip the chard, though. We ate all that up last month and I'm charded-out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    That's a good idea. I often use it in stir fry and I love eggs. I'll skip the chard, though. We ate all that up last month and I'm charded-out.
    Hehe I know what you mean, I think I have prepared green beans every way imaginable, and they are still producing. :)

Quote Originally Posted by bijou View Post
    Hehe I know what you mean, I think I have prepared green beans every way imaginable, and they are still producing. :)
    Have you pickled them yet? Pickled green beans are a real treat in the fall or winter.

Have you pickled them yet? Pickled green beans are a real treat in the fall or winter.
    I haven't I don't do pickling as a rule, do you have a recipe?

At some point I'd like to do canning but it is impossible to find canners here.

gator
    Cook it on a cedar plank......

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Summer Squash Pickles
    Ingredients:
    8 cups yellow summer squash, sliced
    2 cups sliced sweet onion
    1 tablespoon non-iodized salt
    1 cup diced green bell pepper
    1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
    2 cups cider vinegar
    3 1/2 cups sugar
    1 teaspoon celery seeds
    1 teaspoon mustard seed
    Preparation:
    Combine squash and onion slices in a large enamel kettle; sprinkle with salt. Let stand 1 hour. Add green pepper, vinegar, sugar, celery seeds and mustard seeds and bring to a boil.

Mustard Pickles
    Cucumbers
    Cauliflower
    Pi ckling onions
    1/3 bottle dry mustard
    2 tbsp. turmeric
    1 c. flour
    2 c. sugar
    1 qt. vinegar
    1 bottle pickling spice (put spice in nylon bag)

Soak cucumbers whole in salt water overnight. Next morning slice cucumbers, break cauliflower into pieces and add pickling onions with ends cut off and skins off outside. Add sugar and vinegar to pan of cucumbers. Add water to cover all. Add pickling spice bag.
    Bring to boil and boil until cucumbers are tender. Dip out some of the juice to make paste of flour, dry mustard and turmeric. Add to pickles and cook until thick. You need to keep tasting. You may need to add more sugar or vinegar to your taste and maybe need to add more turmeric for color. Put in hot jars and seal.

Sweet Mustard Pickles

6 med. cucumbers, chopped
    2 c. onions, coarsely chopped
    3 med. sweet red peppers, chopped
    1 med. head cauliflower, broken in florets
    1 qt. sm. pickling onions
    1 c. salt
    1 qt. white vinegar
    4 c. sugar
    3/4 c. flour
    1/4 c. dry mustard
    1 1/2 tsp. turmeric
    1 1/2 tbsp. celery salt

Layer the vegetables - the cucumber, onion, red pepper, and cauliflower in a bowl with the salt. Cover with cold water and let stand overnight or about 12 hours. Drain and rinse well with cold water. In a saucepan, combine sugar and vinegar. Heat to boiling. Mix the remaining ingredients, the flour and seasoning. Add some of the boiling vinegar mixture, cooled, and mix well. Add this to the rest of the boiling vinegar mixture and mix in well. Add drained vegetables to this sauce. Cook 15-30 minutes. Pack in hot sterilized jars and seal at once.
    Grandma's Mustard Pickles

2 c. tiny cucumbers
    2 c. lg. ones cut in sm. pieces
    2 c. button onions
    2 c. green tomatoes
    3 c. cauliflower
    A little red pepper (sweet), for color
    1 c. carrots, partially cooked
    1 c. shell beans, partially cooked (I use cranberry beans)

Cut in small pieces and soak overnight in brine made of 1/2 cup salt and 2 quarts water. In the morning, bring to a boil and drain.
    Make a dressing of: 2 c. sugar 3 tsp. dry mustard 2 tsp. turmeric 1 c. vinegar 1 c. water unless vinegar is very weak

Mix dry ingredients together. Then mix in vinegar and water. Cook until thick, stirring all the time or it will burn. When paste has thickened, stir in the pickles and heat. Pour into canning jars and seal.
    Zucchini Pickles
    Ingredients:
    2 pounds zucchini or summer squash, sliced, about 7 cups
    2 medium onions, halved and sliced, about 2 cups
    1/4 cup salt
    2 cups white vinegar
    1 to 2 cups sugar
    1 teaspoon celery seed
    1 teaspoon turmeric
    2 teaspoons mustard seed
    Preparation:
    Place squash and onions in a large non-reactive pot; add the salt and enough water to cover. Let stand for 2 hours; drain well. In a 2-quart saucepan, bring remaining ingredients to a boil; pour over the squash and onions.

Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    Cook it on a cedar plank......
    Never buying those cedar planks again. I didn't think it made much of a difference in taste with the salmon. They were a waste of money.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

GO CARDS -THERE IS ALWAYS NEXT YEAR
    GO ROYALS NOW

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Never buying those cedar planks again. I didn't think it made much of a difference in taste with the salmon. They were a waste of money.
    That is good to hear!! Because I nearly bought some cedar planks at Costco's today, and I decided not to spend the money. Sounds like a gimmich to me.

I always use charcoal, and/or wood, (never gas.. gag gag!!!), so I think the flavor is pretty good already.

While we are asking for recipes.. anybody have a good zucchinni recipe? We had a family reunion, and someone brought some sort of zucchinni spears...I don't know if it was grilled. Probably was since we were all camping out. I suspect it was drizzled with olive oil, garlic, parmesan cheese.. etc. Anybody have a recipe similar to that? It was sooo good, and I never found the recipe, or (with the size of my family) even who made it.

spellcheck has alerted on gimmich, parmesan, zucchinni, and spellcheck. Good grief.. I even tried several spellings on them before thinking, "bite me".
    Last edited by Jumpy; 08-02-2008 at 03:39 PM.