Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Was Jimmy Carter THAT Bad? 
    link

Bullet1987 (1000+ posts)
    Original message
    Was Jimmy Carter THAT Bad?

We often hear that Obama is going to be another Jimmy Carter? I've even seen it written on here by DUers. I would understand why the Republicans hate him...they hate all Democrats. But since when did Carter's name become synonymous with failure? Is it purely because he was a 1-term President? But then GHWB (Poppy) was a 1-term President too. His son was an even bigger failure. I don't see people coming on T.V. saying "you don't want to be like the Bushes." I'm only 22, so I wasn't around way back then. Is it because Carter was possibly the last true American President before complete corporate takeover brought to us by Ronald Reagan? Or is it just more of the MSM/republicans dictating to the Democratic Party? I know Carter has said a lot of things that have put him in the news. He's openly called Israel's actions apartheid and that pissed a lot of people off. But Israel has been getting some bad press lately. People aren't as afraid to criticize them or question them now as they once were. They still have a very powerful lobby called AIPAC though.

So what's the big idea?
    Yes he was that bad!
    PurgedVoter Donating Member (590 posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Sun Feb-28-10 12:04 AM
    Response to Original message
    1. Carter stood up to the oil companies

He was and is an honest and brilliant man. The best president that we have had in my lifetime.
    rufus dog Donating Member (1000+ posts)
    Response to Reply #2
    6. He had some faults

But honesty wasn't one of them. The dude must have been cleaner than Mother Teresa because the Repubs would have blown up any indiscretion into an impeachable offense. They had to wait for Clinton for that.

He did tend to get a bit too much into the minutia, but to compensate for that he worked his ass off.

The comparisons to Obama started before the election. Because that is their hope, to make any Democrat a one termer and slime the living shit out of them after while saying how good life was under their guy. All in all it is BS. If you take all of the Presidents over the past 50 years and rank them on economic growth (jobs created, stock market increase, standard of living, etc) Carter would rank pretty close to Reagan (the hero of the right) and above Bush 1 and obviously way above W. To be fair you would have to look at a lot of factors to compare, for example strength of economy at inauguration, economic cycles, global events.

But if Ronnie is the gold standard and Carter was a turd, then you wouldn't have a whole lot of room between gold and shit, and W would then be a steaming pile of dung the size of Northern Hemisphere.
    sandnsea Donating Member (1000+ posts)
    5. Republicans crashed the economy

pissed off the Middle East and then dumped it in Carter's lap.

Sound familiar?

No, he wasn't a bad President. If we had listened to him all these years, we wouldn't be in the mess we're in today.

He did start a lot of the deregulating though. I don't think he was that great of a friend to labor.

Yeah, that double digit inflation wasn't that bad! Don't worry, with Obama, we're sure to be there in no time!

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    sandnsea Donating Member (1000+ posts)
    5. Republicans crashed the economy

pissed off the Middle East and then dumped it in Carter's lap.

Sound familiar?

No, he wasn't a bad President. If we had listened to him all these years, we wouldn't be in the mess we're in today.

He did start a lot of the deregulating though. I don't think he was that great of a friend to labor.!

Carter inherited a growing economy. It grew at 5.3% for the entire year of 1976. Carter took office in Jan of 1977. Real wages were on the rise and mortgage rates were reasonable.

After Carter took over, real wages fell by double digits, inflation rose by double digits, mortgage rates were approaching 20%, radical Islam was on the rise and so was the Soviet Union.

The true answer is he was MUCH worse than is known.

PurgedVoter Donating Member (590 posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Sun Feb-28-10 12:04 AM

He was and is an honest and brilliant man. The best president that we have had in my lifetime.
    Ha ha ha. He he he. Ho, ho ho. Stop already. For this to be true you would have had to have lived four years, from 1976 to 1980. That or this is actually Jimmah Carter himself.:eek:
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Carter is easily one of the worst five Presidents in history. Obama is giving him a run for the money in a race to the bottom though.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    PurgedVoter Donating Member (590 posts)
    Sun Feb-28-10 12:04 AM

How can anyone type that with a straight face?
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Quote Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post
    Carter is easily one of the worst five Presidents in history. Obama is giving him a run for the money in a race to the bottom though.
    QFT
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

Carter: Good man, terrible president.

He couldn't handle the economy. He gets blamed for the Iran hostage situation, but the hostages did come back alive after all that time. I think he was right to allow the Shah to seek medical treatment here after the Iranian revolution deposed him-mainly because the Shah was an american ally, and we're not supposed to desert our allies without good reason. The demands of revolutionary college students doesn't really fit that criteria.

Carter is the one democratic president my very liberal mother never voted for. She didn't vote for Reagan, however, in 1980, she voted for John Anderson. My mom though Reagan was going to get us in a war over the Panama Canal. She was wrong, it was his successor that did that.

I can't defend his pro-Castro and pro-Chavez stances as a retired president, however I do respect his work with Habitat for Humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Carter: Good man, terrible president.

He couldn't handle the economy. He gets blamed for the Iran hostage situation, but the hostages did come back alive after all that time. I think he was right to allow the Shah to seek medical treatment here after the Iranian revolution deposed him-mainly because the Shah was an american ally, and we're not supposed to desert our allies without good reason. The demands of revolutionary college students doesn't really fit that criteria.

Carter is the one democratic president my very liberal mother never voted for. She didn't vote for Reagan, however, in 1980, she voted for John Anderson. My mom though Reagan was going to get us in a war over the Panama Canal. She was wrong, it was his successor that did that.

I can't defend his pro-Castro and pro-Chavez stances as a retired president, however I do respect his work with Habitat for Humanity.
    I question whether he was/is a good man. For the last few years I've heard him take cheap shots at political opponents. He acts like the typical moonbat when he speaks. He has no problem telling tall tales that suit his narrative.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Of the 8 Presidents in my lifetime, Carter is the second worst...
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot