Sgent (1000+ posts) Mon Mar-01-10 12:23 AM
Original message
White House Is Rethinking Nuclear Policy (Weapons)
Source: NY Times

WASHINGTON — As President Obama begins making final decisions on a broad new nuclear strategy for the United States, senior aides say he will permanently reduce America’s arsenal by thousands of weapons. But the administration has rejected proposals that the United States declare it would never be the first to use nuclear weapons, aides said.

Mr. Obama’s new strategy — which would annul or reverse several initiatives by the Bush administration — will be contained in a nearly completed document called the Nuclear Posture Review, which all presidents undertake. Aides said Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates will present Mr. Obama with several options on Monday to address unresolved issues in that document, which have been hotly debated within the administration.

First among them is the question of whether, and how, to narrow the circumstances under which the United States will declare it might use nuclear weapons — a key element of nuclear deterrence since the cold war.

Mr. Obama’s decisions on nuclear weapons come as conflicting pressures in his defense policy are intensifying. His critics argue that his embrace of a new movement to eliminate nuclear weapons around the world is naïve and dangerous, especially at a time of new nuclear threats, particularly from Iran and North Korea. But many of his supporters fear that over the past year he has moved too cautiously, and worry that he will retain the existing American policy by leaving open the possibility that the United States might use nuclear weapons in response to a biological or chemical attack, perhaps against a nation that does not possess a nuclear arsenal.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/01/us/politics/01nuke.ht...
scottsoperson (117 posts) Mon Mar-01-10 12:54 AM
Response to Reply #2
3. i suppose obama may use the nuclear option
of course, repubs used to think the nuclear option was a good thing.
Alert Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top

FrenchieCat (1000+ posts) Mon Mar-01-10 01:56 AM
Response to Reply #2
5. I don't get your cliched talk. Can you come again, so that even I can understand? Thanks!

(from the article) Mr. Obama’s new strategy — which would annul or reverse several initiatives by the Bush administration — will be contained in a nearly completed document called the Nuclear Posture Review, which all presidents undertake.
zipplewrath (1000+ posts) Mon Mar-01-10 07:14 AM
Response to Original message
11. Every President since Kennedy
Basically every president since Kennedy has struggled with this problem to one extent or another. The US always wants to declare "no first use". The problem (besides the fact that of course we already HAVE) is that our entire "defense of Europe" plan relied upon first use as a deterrent. To this day our military plans for deterent and defense against other nuclear enabled countries is based upon "pre-emptive" use. And in our planning for Iran I've heard news stories that they were considering nuclear "bunker busters". I'm dubious that this president will put forth the effort to undo that much military strategy.
Alert Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top

DevinKline (24 posts) Mon Mar-01-10 09:05 AM
13. "it would never be the first to use nuclear weapons"
Uhhhhh....did someone forget to call Japan prior to writing that bit?
Yeah, we bad imperial Japan good. Ask the Philippians about that one.
obliviously (1000+ posts) Mon Mar-01-10 11:10 AM
16. We should sell most of or nukes to our enemies
Edited on Mon Mar-01-10 11:11 AM by obliviously
After all most here are in agreement that everyone else is much more responsible than we are. We could raise money for green energy and health care.
Oh noes, how to reply to this one! They all know they agree but what to say? It looks so retarded in print.