1. #1 Pickled Green Beans. 
    INGREDIENTS
    2 1/2 pounds fresh green beans
    2 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar
    2 cups water
    1/4 cup salt
    1 clove garlic, peeled
    1 bunch fresh dill weed
    3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)

DIRECTIONS
    Sterilize 6 (1/2 pint) jars with rings and lids and keep hot. Trim green beans to 1/4 inch shorter than your jars.

In a large saucepan, stir together the vinegar, water and salt. Add garlic and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. In each jar, place 1 sprig of dill and 1/8 teaspoon of red pepper flakes. Pack green beans into the jars so they are standing on their ends.

Ladle the boiling brine into the jars, filling to within 1/4 inch of the tops. Discard garlic. Seal jars with lids and rings. Place in a hot water bath so they are covered by 1 inch of water. Simmer but do not boil for 10 minutes to process. Cool to room temperature. Test jars for a good seal by pressing on the center of the lid. It should not move. Refrigerate any jars that do not seal properly. Let pickles ferment for 2 to 3 weeks before eating.
    I got this over at All Reicpes. It's very similar to what I do. I add a lot more garlic and red pepper flakes, however, and I throw in some oregano and basil.

Bijou, even if you don't have a real canner, I think you could do this recipe in a stock pot or roaster if you did a couple batches. The processing time is so short that it wouldn't be too much of a bother.

Can you get canning jars and seals?

Thanks Ginger. Jars and seals are no problem to get hold of but for some reason canning doesn't seem to be popular as a preserving method here.