1. #1 Best Of: DU'ers mostly back 2nd Amendment 
    ensho (1000+ posts) Mon Mar-01-10 12:14 PM
    Original message
    U.S. Supreme Court to take on battle over gun rights

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_14489424?source=most_view...

The U.S. Supreme Court is about to take dead aim at the fierce debate over gun regulations in cities and states across the country, with California's strict gun-control laws squarely in the cross hairs of the legal showdown.

The justices on Tuesday will hear arguments in a challenge to a Chicago area ban on handguns and semiautomatic weapons, weighing for the first time whether the Second Amendment right to bear arms applies to local and state gun regulations. For a state such as California, which has long been a target of gun rights advocates for a slew of firearms regulations, a Supreme Court ruling extending Second Amendment protections to cities and states could open the floodgates to a new generation of lawsuits.

-snip-

The Supreme Court case is the second in the past two years that takes on a legal debate over the Second Amendment that went unresolved for more than 100 years: how much, and whether, constitutional protection restricts government's ability to regulate gun ownership, possession and sales.
    -snip-
    --------------------------------

wonder how much money the Supremes get from the gun lobby
    http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=389x7818671

HUNDREDS of posts, so I'm only going to bring a select few over, but it seems the majority are in support of this. Sometimes DU does suprise me a bit.

warm regards (100 posts) Mon Mar-01-10 08:15 PM
    Response to Reply #1
    67. It could be a good thing...
    They could re-validate the 2nd Amendment.
    ThomWV (1000+ posts) Mon Mar-01-10 12:22 PM
    Response to Original message
    2. Great, finally a national respect for the 2nd Amendment and the right to self defense
    michreject (1000+ posts) Mon Mar-01-10 01:04 PM
    Response to Original message
    4. I sure do hope the 2nd Amendment wins in Chicago
    No state should be able to cherry pick what parts of the Constitution they support.
    Now the anti-gun nuts come out in force, but their promptly smacked down.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Every liberal who has ever lived in a big city supports gun rights, even if he or she doesn't personally own one.

It's not surprising, really. With a few loud exceptions, Democrat and Republican voters have essentially the same position on gun control: They have no problem with people owning guns as long as they obey the law, pass a background check and pay for the various fees and permits.

Granted, there are more on the Democrat side calling for more laws, but often they're calling for some of the laws we already have out of ignorance. Then again, I've argued with Republicans right here who think there should be more laws regulating guns, who have called for things that would make a DUer blush.

I'd say the percentage of people who want guns completely unregulated is about the same on both sides of the aisle. Most essentially want the status quo perhaps with a bit of change in one direction or the other.
    ... certain forms of ammunition have no legitimate sporting, recreational, or self-defense use and thus should be prohibited. Such action is long overdue.

- Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by FeebMaster View Post

I'd say the percentage of people who want guns completely unregulated is about the same on both sides of the aisle. Most essentially want the status quo perhaps with a bit of change in one direction or the other.
    I don't want anybody knowing about my guns,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,uh, um, OOPS?:eek:
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand