Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    You don't teach social studies do you?
    I used to. Grew a brain and left the public screwul life behind. (WOW, screwul and behind in the same sentence, these ought not happen).
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    I used to. Grew a brain and left the public screwul life behind. (WOW, screwul and behind in the same sentence, these ought not happen).
    Social studies isn't just taught in public school..Every private school I went to had a social studies course.

Sonnabend
    Social studies isn't just taught in public school..Every private school I went to had a social studies course.
    Yes, but we were taught facts, not political opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by stsinner View Post
    I often wonder how anyone thought it would be a good idea to stop containing mentally unstable people in insane asylums... Just how does this benefit society? So what this means is that all of those people in the many defunct insane asylums and those who would have been incarcerated there are out and among us..
    You would be suprised by how many of these guy's and Gal's are let out of prison every year. They just find another "easy victim" and come right back.

We have to let them out on the streets because there are not enough facilities to place them in and their familys won't take them in.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    And they'll blame the release on the next conservative President just like they blamed it on Regan when Carter signed the bill releasing many mentally ill people. Carter did it but the libs told everyone that Regan kicked them out and made them homeless.

Are you sure about your timeline there? I have always thought that the complaint about Reagan dumping mentally ill people on the street came from his term as governor of California rather than his presidential term.

What are they, nuts!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    Yes, but we were taught facts, not political opinions.
    Yeah, in the schools I went to ''social studies'' was simply a fancy term for ''history class.''

Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post
    Yeah, in the schools I went to ''social studies'' was simply a fancy term for ''history class.''
    That's too bad. History can be approached from several perspectives but "social studies" are always taught from the point of view of whatever the latest academic fad says.

For instance, social studies confirmed the racial biases and ethnic stereotypes that helped to fuel both eugenics in general and European antisemitism and the American "Negro issue" in particular during the 1930s.

It was in academic settings that these views took hold and were propagated.