Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Coffee Party Perks Interest. 
    Coffee Party, With a Taste for Civic Participation, Is Added to the Political Menu

By KATE ZERNIKE
    Published: March 1, 2010

Fed up with government gridlock, but put off by the flavor of the Tea Party, people in cities across the country are offering an alternative: the Coffee Party.

Growing through a Facebook page, the party pledges to “support leaders who work toward positive solutions, and hold accountable those who obstruct them.”

It had nearly 40,000 members as of Monday afternoon, but the numbers were growing quickly — about 11,000 people had signed on as fans since the morning.

“I’m in shock, just the level of energy here,” said the founder, Annabel Park, a documentary filmmaker who lives outside Washington. “In the beginning, I was actively saying, ‘Get in touch with us, start a chapter.’ Now I can’t keep up. We have 300 requests to start a chapter that I have not been able to respond to.”

The slogan is “Wake Up and Stand Up.” The mission statement declares that the federal government is “not the enemy of the people, but the expression of our collective will, and that we must participate in the democratic process in order to address the challenges we face as Americans.”

Local chapters are planning meetings in cities from Washington to San Antonio to Los Angeles (where there have been four in the last month.) The party (coffeepartyusa.org) is planning nationwide coffee houses for March 13, where people can gather to decide which issues they want to take on and even which candidates they want to support.

This summer, Ms. Park said, the party will hold a convention in the Midwest, with a slogan along the lines of “Meet Me in the Middle.” The party has inspired the requisite jokes: why not a latte party, a chai party, a Red Bull party? But Ms. Park said that while the Coffee Party — and certainly the name — was formed in reaction to the Tea Party, the two agree on some things, like a desire for fiscal responsibility and a frustration with Congress.

“We’re not the opposite of the Tea Party,” Ms. Park, 41, said. “We’re a different model of civic participation, but in the end we may want some of the same things.”

The Tea Party argues for stripping the federal government of many of its roles, and that if government has to be involved, it should be mostly state governments.

“The way I see it,” Ms. Park said, “our government is diseased, but you don’t abandon it because it’s ill. It’s the only body we have to address collective problems. You can’t bound government according to state borders when companies don’t do that, air doesn’t. It just doesn’t fit with the world.”

Still, she said, “we’ve got to send a message to people in Washington that you have to learn how to work together, you have to learn how to talk about these issues without acting like you’re in an ultimate fighting session.”

Ms. Park and chapter organizers said they would invite Tea Party members to join their Coffee counterparts in discussions. “We need to roll up our sleeves, put our heads together and work it out,” she said. “That’s, to me, an American way of doing this.”
    Interesting. Too bad the media has made all of us sound like raving lunatics. I bet we have a lot in common with the Coffee Klatch. ;)

NYT

The slogan is “Wake Up and Stand Up.” The mission statement declares that the federal government is “not the enemy of the people, but the expression of our collective will, and that we must participate in the democratic process in order to address the challenges we face as Americans.”
    Ehh, I'm not feelin it. This suggests that your group is asleep. Wake up is often used to tell somebody that they are being a useless tool. Stand up suggests the absense or weakness of spine that most libberweenies demonstrate.

How about "Beaners?" You call our group "Tea Baggers," a pejorative totally devoid of factual application to our group. It is however, suggestive of a large percentage of your group who actually partake in this activity. So work on that motto Beaners, you'll find something workable. Afterall, it is the Left who has all the practice and is into labeling.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    Ehh, I'm not feelin it. This suggests that your group is asleep. Wake up is often used to tell somebody that they are being a useless tool. Stand up suggests the absense or weakness of spine that most libberweenies demonstrate.

How about "Beaners?" You call our group "Tea Baggers," a pejorative totally devoid of factual application to our group. It is however, suggestive of a large percentage of your group who actually partake in this activity. So work on that motto Beaners, you'll find something workable. Afterall, it is the Left who has all the practice and is into labeling.
    Be nice - these people want some of the things we want. I'll spilt a donut with anybody who wants to put Washington on a diet. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Be nice - these people want some of the things we want. I'll spilt a donut with anybody who wants to put Washington on a diet. :D
    :o *ashamed* Yes ma'am.:o
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Banned
    If you do not know who your adversary is, then you have lost half the battle. Liberals have no intention of freezing or cutting spending. It's like telling a crack addict that your next fix is not coming. No amount of discussion is going to change them into becoming a fiscal hawk. At least half or more of Democrats and RINO's are opposed to cutting spending. The Coffee Party is just trying to steal some of the Tea Party's thunder in my opinion. l

We have already had a coffee party. I call it the 8 years of compassionate conservatism under GWB and the Republican Congress. You see how effective that was in curtailing spending.

The Tea Party crowd needs to stay focused on the anger that they feel toward the government not some watered down moderate wannabes that make up the Washington/Manhattan coffee/tea party bunch crowd. The Tea Party is the real deal. They know we have a cancer in our government and it needs surgery. Eliminating worthless agencies like EPA, Education, thousands of dead heads in DC, putting Congress on a diet, cancel funding for Acorn, AARP, Unions, Arts, etc, etc is what needs to be done. The band aid approach of these coffee do gooders is not going to cut the mustard. Severe cuts in spending and lowering taxes is the only approach to our financial survival.

Annabel Park is not grass roots, she is astro-turf.

http://www.leftcoastrebel.com/2010/0...igging-up.html

In truth, Annabel is a longtime political wonk with a large number of leftist political connections.

Jacobson broke Annabel’s association with United for Obama, but there are far more. According to the Washington Post in 2008, she started by campaigning for Democrat Senator James Webb in 2006. Since then, she has been associated with a large number of leftist groups including, Asian Pacific Americans for Progress, Asian Americans for Obama, and she started the 121 Coalition. If you include her friend Eric Byler, co-director with Annabel of “9500 Liberty” a Michael Moore-esk liberal documentary, you can add in APA Five and Asian-Nation.org. Eric Byler also did the filming for the Coffee Party’s homepage video. Both Annabel and Eric recently did a workshop for the APA Five on community activism. Perhaps, there was something already in the works?

As has been pointed out by many today, Annabel also has a large number of MSM contacts. She previously worked as a Strategy Analyst for the NY Times and has been interviewed a number of times prior to the Coffee Party’s break out Washington Post article. Here is Annabel being interviewed in the Washington Post in 2008. Here she is with Anderson Cooper of CNN.
    http://legalinsurrection.blogspot.co...-parasite.html

Park is a former Strategy Analyst [Park's Linked In page has been taken down, here is a cached link] at the NY Times who was one of organizers and operators of the United for Obama video channel at YouTube:

A Korean-American filmmaker is in charge of creating video clips that are playing a role in increasing support for Senator Barack Obama, the frontrunner for the 2008 Democratic presidential nomination.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hoplophobe View Post
    Thanks for outing the lying bitch. I expect more of the same from the left. Her mushy bull shit just did not resonate with me.

I think there were threads about this on DU. It seems to be just another way to try and mock the Tea Party.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post
    I think there were threads about this on DU. It seems to be just another way to try and mock the Tea Party.
    That's what I thought too.

Since they're slandering the Tea Party movement with that derogatory name they use, we do need one for them. Beaners is a bit of an ethnic slur, however.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    That's what I thought too.

Since they're slandering the Tea Party movement with that derogatory name they use, we do need one for them. Beaners is a bit of an ethnic slur, however.
    I think calling them "progressives" is enough of a derogatory name.