1. #1 More people who can't read a recipe 
    Despite the fact that Paula Deen’s refrigerator is loaded with enough butter to choke a horse, I must admit her food usually looks edible – if not mouthwatering.

This one, however, doesn’t.

Behold Paula Deen’s Cheesy Ham and Banana Casserole, a heavy contender for one of the worst recipes on the planet. It’s a nasty combination of ham, bananas, bacon, cheese, and potato chips sandwiched between soggy, eggy slices of white bread. And rumor has it that if you can actually swallow one bite down, you’ll instantly get Type II Diabetes.

paula-bananas

The recipe currently has a low 2-star rating on the Food Network’s website, and as usual, some of the comments there are hilarious:

Donna wrote, “this was the most disgusting recipe I have ever made. I was so embarrassed to serve this to guests. They couldn’t even swallow it.” (No shit, Donna! It combines BANANAS AND HAM. You couldn’t figure that one out on your own?!) ...
    See the rest and a picture of the dish here.

That was never going to be good.

I'd try it.
    ... certain forms of ammunition have no legitimate sporting, recreational, or self-defense use and thus should be prohibited. Such action is long overdue.

- Ronald Reagan

Power CUer
    Not to mention burgers on Krispy Kreme doughnuts. Horrifying.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

I can't mix fruit with meat in one dish. I can't handle salads with cherries or raisins in them, or ham and bananas, in this case. I don't even like fruit topping on my cheesecake.

For me, fruit is consumed separately from meat and cheese, as a snack or as dessert. Veggies go with meat and cheese better.

I'm not a foodie or anything but I think if you got rid of the banana, milk/cream, nutmeg, and potato chips this would be just fine as a breakfast sandwich if it was grilled.

Really, you could just give the banana and milk/cream to a nearby child and throw the chips down for the dog. Bingo - everybody is happy. :)

Banned
    I told one of my co-workers how to cook a ham. Boil the ham in water a few min. to get the salt out. Then how to prepare it with cloves & cook it in the oven along with basting it at the end. She boiled it for 3 hours and it shrunk up like the size of a grapefruit. Her husband told her to chunk it. Last year I brought her a cooked ham for New Year's. We both get a good laugh over that.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I can't mix fruit with meat in one dish.
    There's nothing like a pork roast with apples and prunes.... mmmmmm
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    I told one of my co-workers how to cook a ham. Boil the ham in water a few min. to get the salt out. Then how to prepare it with cloves & cook it in the oven along with basting it at the end. She boiled it for 3 hours and it shrunk up like the size of a grapefruit. Her husband told her to chunk it. Last year I brought her a cooked ham for New Year's. We both get a good laugh over that.

Ham is simple. We do it Detroit-style here. Soak it overnight in Vernors and stick it in the oven in the for a couple of hours before serving it. Just remember to get up in the middle of the night to rotate the ham, so it's saturated properly.

Quote Originally Posted by FeebMaster View Post
    I'd try it.
    Elvis tried it!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Ham is simple. We do it Detroit-style here. Soak it overnight in Vernors and stick it in the oven in the for a couple of hours before serving it. Just remember to get up in the middle of the night to rotate the ham, so it's saturated properly.
    Try baking it after soaking it in cola overnight and then baking it with the cola syrup.We normally deeply slash the fat and stick a bunch of whole cloves into the creases then smear it thick with Guldens yellow mustard.
    Then cover the mustard then by hand with a thick layer of brown sugar and into the oven in a pan for about an hour. The combination of the cola syrup ,mustard and brown sugar is delicious and the ham goes fast at the table.
    Nigella Lawson Cola Baked Ham.

Ingredients For the Ham:
    "Double the whole thing
    * 1 (4 1/4 to 4 1/2-pound) bone in ham.
    * 1 onion, peeled, cut in 1/2
    * 1 (2-liter) bottle cola (recommended: Coca-Cola)

For the Glaze:

* 1 handful cloves
    * 1 heaping tablespoon molasses
    * 2 teaspoons English mustard powder
    * 2 tablespoons Demerara (raw cane sugar) or granulated brown sugar

Directions
    For the ham:
    Peel and cut 1 onion in half. To a large pot or Dutch oven, place ham, the onion and pour over top, the 2 liter bottle of coca-cola. On a medium-high heat, allow to cola to come to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover, not tightly with lid, and allow to cook for 2 1/2 hours. It is 1 hour for every 2 pounds.

Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
    For the Glaze:

Pull the ham from the pot, and allow to rest on a cutting board reserving the cooking liquid. Using a sharp knife, trim the skin, leaving a thin layer of fat on the ham. Using the knife, score the fat diagonally into large diamond cut.. In each diamond pierce the fat with 1 clove.

Spread the molasses over the meat. Gently pat the powdered mustard and sugar around the meat, so it sticks to the molasses. Line a roasting pan with aluminum foil. Gently place the ham in the roasting pan. Cook the ham for about 10 minutes or until glaze is burnished and bubbly.

For braising the ham in advance and then letting the ham cool, take ham from the refrigerator, glaze it according to the recipe, and give it 30 to 40 minutes to sit at room temperature. Place in a 350 degree F oven for 30 to 40 minutes, then turning up the heat if you think it needs a more crispy exterior.

Note: Goes well with Sweet Corn Pudding
    Crock pot Coca Cola Braised Ham
    Ingredients:
    8 pounds fresh (standard bone in ham)
    Salt and pepper, to taste
    2tablespoon Dry Mustard
    2 tablespoon Prepared Mustard
    2 liters bottle of Coca-Cola
    2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    2 cup Brown Sugar, Dark, Packed

Directions:
    Score surface of ham and stuff the slashes with a handful of whole cloves and season with salt and pepper. (use less salt if using a cured ham) Place in large crockpot, skin side down.

Combine mustards, coca-cola, ground cinnamon, and brown sugar and blend with a wire whisk in a saucepot. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture dissolves. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 minute. Pour over ham in the crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours. Slice and serve hot or cold with remaining sauce as a glaze.