Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 What about the pilots? 
    That air traffic controller and his supervisor are toast. Bring in the body bags. When their union came out with a harsh criticism, you knew they were goners. But what's gonna happen to the pilots? They went along with the kid playing air traffic controller. If I were one of the pilots, I'd be really worried right now. I'd bet the airlines could fire them and their union wouldn't say a word.

Was it O.Snowe or her twin who suggested congressional hearings on this?
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostThere View Post
    That air traffic controller and his supervisor are toast. Bring in the body bags. When their union came out with a harsh criticism, you knew they were goners. But what's gonna happen to the pilots? They went along with the kid playing air traffic controller. If I were one of the pilots, I'd be really worried right now. I'd bet the airlines could fire them and their union wouldn't say a word.

Was it O.Snowe or her twin who suggested congressional hearings on this?
    I am not sure what you are referring to...

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

There was a pilot on a local talk show last talking about it. He said it was wrong but also that it was no big deal. The kid didn't issue any directions that were executable Or even could have been. It was just chatter that had no bearing on the movement of the aircraft. He seemed to think the whole thing was overblown.

I agree... it's much adeu about nothing.

The controller let his kid talk to some pilot that were on the ground, awaiting departure.
    I would feel otherwise if he had the lapse in judgement to have the kid get on the mic to a plane in bound on final.

sheesh.
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people.
    It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."
    -- John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    There was a pilot on a local talk show last talking about it. He said it was wrong but also that it was no big deal. The kid didn't issue any directions that were executable Or even could have been. It was just chatter that had no bearing on the movement of the aircraft. He seemed to think the whole thing was overblown.

I agree that this is way overblown. Nobody was every at any kind of risk. If they feel the dad should be punished, just suspend him for a couple of days.

Just what the hell are you people talking about here?
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    An Air Traffic Controller had his kid at work and let him talk to a pilot that was on the tarmac. The kid was issuing "orders" to the pilot...
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    Air Controller Accused of Letting Kids Talk With Jets
    By MELANIE TROTTMAN And ANDY PASZTOR

The Federal Aviation Administration suspended an air-traffic controller and his supervisor at New York's John F. Kennedy Airport, after the controller allegedly allowed his 10-year-old son to radio instructions to pilots.

The FAA is investigating the matter, which occurred on the evening of Feb. 16 at one of the nation's busiest airports. It was reported by Boston television station WFXT-TV on Tuesday.

The day after his son was there, according to people familiar with the details, the same controller brought another youngster, his daughter, into the controller tower, and she also allegedly transmitted some radio messages to aircraft.

"This lapse in judgment not only violated FAA's own policies, but common sense standards for professional conduct," FAA Administrator Randy Babbitt said in a statement Wednesday.

Doug Church, a spokesman for the National Air Traffic Controllers Association, an air traffic controllers union, said, "We do not condone this type of behavior in any way. It is not indicative of the highest professional standards that controllers set for themselves and exceed each and every day in the advancement of aviation safety."

According to FAA and air-traffic-controller personnel, the boy apparently amused and impressed tower staffers with his knowledge of air-traffic-control language. One person familiar with the incident said the controller was proud of how much he had taught his son and may have been showing him off.

In the recording, the boy's squeaky voice can be heard relaying instructions to the aircraft, apparently after hearing them from his father; at times, a controller jumped in with additional instruction. "That's what you get, guys, when the kids are out of school," a male voice in the tower said.

In one exchange, the child can be heard saying, "JetBlue 171 contact departure." The pilot responded: "Over to departure JetBlue 171, awesome job."
    It's all over the Internet.

What is dis, how you say, Internets? Where can I fine dis Internets?
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people.
    It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."
    -- John Adams

The day the story broke I heard an interview with a FAA inspector about people in the tower. He said that even though he is an inspector, if he didn't have official business in the tower, he wouldn't be allowed in. He said that traffic controllers are not allowed in the tower unless they are scheduled to work. This guy brought 2 small children in and let them talk to planes!!!

Folks who say this is no big deal are looking at it in a vacuum. This was reported to be at a very busy airport and during normal business hours. I'm pretty sure air traffic controllers are watching and working with more than one plane at a time. This guy let his son give some instructions to a couple planes. I'd image he's paying extra close attention to what his son is saying and doing, wouldn't you think? If so, it sounds like the other planes on the ground and in the sky are not getting this man's full attention. Yea, this was cute, and it was a big deal. As far as the controller and his supervisor --- stick a fork in them, they're done.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.