1. #1 Teachers in trouble after honoring O.J. Simpson, Dennis Rodman and RuPaul 
    Somebody's in trouble!

Three Los Angeles elementary school teachers accused of giving children portraits of O.J. Simpson, Dennis Rodman and RuPaul to carry in a Black History Month parade have been removed from their classrooms, a school district spokeswoman said Wednesday.

Children from other classes at the school displayed photos of more appropriate black role models, such as Nelson Mandela, Harriet Tubman and President Obama, Los Angeles Unified School District spokeswoman Gayle Pollard-Terry said.

The incident occurred Friday at Wadsworth Avenue Elementary School in South Los Angeles, where the student body is more than 90 percent Latino.

District Superintendent Ramon Cortines placed the teachers - all white men who teach first, second and fourth grades - on administrative leave on Tuesday while an investigation is conducted, Pollard-Terry said.
    "The superintendent will not let anyone make a mockery out of Black History Month," she said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/03/04/2010-03-04_teachers_in_trouble_after_honoring_oj_simpson_d ennis_rodman_and_rupaul_for_black.html#ixzz0hEaDEf 5S

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

I read about this yesterday. The teachers should have known better than to do that. If they have an issue with Black History month, that's not the way to deal with it.

Using OJ, in particular, is very offensive. Rodman and RuPaul might not be examples of virtue, but neither one is a killer. RuPaul's never hurt anyone. I don't think Dennis Rodman ever intentionally hurt anyone off the court. He should have never dated Madonna. He was somewhat stable before that, and only had one or two tattoos. He's on Celebrity Rehab, and Dr. Drew thinks Dennis might have Asberger's Syndrome.

These guys were idiots. I'm not enthusiastic about "months" for race but this was stupid.

How odd. Three white male elementary teachers, a 90% Latino school, and a Black history month parade? (Really, a parade? Has anyone heard of math class?) The use of the kids was nasty, but the kids shouldn't have been doing a parade in the first place. MLK day has a parade. No reason for another the following month.

elspeth - I firmly agree. A parade is asinine. Kids should spend less time on stupid shit like this and more time learning how to READ and to memorize their maths tables.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    elspeth - I firmly agree. A parade is asinine. Kids should spend less time on stupid shit like this and more time learning how to READ and to memorize their maths tables.
    Math should be singular teach!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Math should be singular teach!
    Not according to the people who invented the language :p
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I read about this yesterday. The teachers should have known better than to do that. If they have an issue with Black History month, that's not the way to deal with it.

Using OJ, in particular, is very offensive. Rodman and RuPaul might not be examples of virtue, but neither one is a killer. RuPaul's never hurt anyone. I don't think Dennis Rodman ever intentionally hurt anyone off the court. He should have never dated Madonna. He was somewhat stable before that, and only had one or two tattoos. He's on Celebrity Rehab, and Dr. Drew thinks Dennis might have Asberger's Syndrome.
    Did you catch him on Celebrity Apprentice last year? Oi. And this season Trump's using Darryl Strawberry. Yikes.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Did you catch him on Celebrity Apprentice last year? Oi. And this season Trump's using Darryl Strawberry. Yikes.

No, but I loved Dennis when he was a Piston. A lot of Detroiters have funny Rodman stories. My favorite is one I heard on the radio-a guy was driving in Royal Oak on a nice day, and Rodman was driving around in his convertable, with the top down. The listener pulled up next to him, looked over, saw it was Rodman. Dennis was picking his nose.

Back in the Bad Boy days, various Pistons would have basketball camps in the summer for kids, usually at Belle Isle or at one of the local colleges. I knew some kids who went to a few of them-they all said that they learned the most about basketball at Joe Dumars' camp, but they had the most fun at Dennis Rodman's.