Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 From Hutch to Table 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    In an age when diners scoop marrow from roasted beef shins and eat the feet of pigs raised by farmers they've met, rabbit seems like the right meat at the right time.

Rabbits from upstate New York await their fate at a seminar on raising and cooking rabbits held behind Roberta's restaurant in Bushwick, Brooklyn.

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/201...how_index.html

Good for them! If it wasn't alive, why would anybody want to eat it? People need to appreciate what goes into food instead of just opening up a can.

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    In an age when diners scoop marrow from roasted beef shins and eat the feet of pigs raised by farmers they've met, rabbit seems like the right meat at the right time.

Rabbits from upstate New York await their fate at a seminar on raising and cooking rabbits held behind Roberta's restaurant in Bushwick, Brooklyn.

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/201...how_index.html
    Rabbit, the new chicken!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    Rabbit, the new chicken!
    The French eat a lot of rabbit .I've had it roasted,fried and stewed and it's not bad.It does taste a lot like chicken when fried.The problem is if you cook it for the family the kids won't eat it.

I want to try raccoon and beaver.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I have had coon, rabbit and squirrel in a stew. Years ago fried alligator was a biggie around these parts. Taste like chicken.

Only if I were starving and nothing else to eat.When I was a kid I hunted rabbit and Big Grey squirrel for my dogs.During the summer the rabbits become infested with deer ticks and aren't worth much .

I could never bring myself to eat a rabbit I shot but they did smell good when I boiled them for the dogs.I was able to take my gun to school on the school buss if I removed the bolt and kept it in my pocket.I kept it in the coat locker during school and my pockets full of bullets.

On the way home the school bus would drop me off at the end of the road to my house, about two miles away and I would hunt rabbits along the way.I never failed to shoot at least two and sometimes more.

In the summer when rabbits were infested with ticks I would hunt Grey squirrels
    in the oaks .The trick was to keep a bunch of small rock's in your pocket and when the Grey squirrel saw you aiming at him he would scurry around the other side of the tree.Just throw a stone off to one side and the squirrel would scurry back around to my side and bang.About a dozen peeled and boiled Grey's would feed the dogs well .

Some people in the Maine backwoods eat 'wood pig' .That's an old time name for Ground Hog/Woodchuck .Smoked whole porcupine is right tasty they tell me .Just throw the critter whole into an hot fire and burn the quills down and pick off the meat,yum/not .

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    I have had coon, rabbit and squirrel in a stew. Years ago fried alligator was a biggie around these parts. Taste like chicken.
    I like gator real well, to me some cuts are similar to lamb in flavor. I would think beaver and coon would be good meat, they are very clean animals and eat good food.

I like gator real well, to me some cuts are similar to lamb in flavor. I would think beaver and coon would be good meat, they are very clean animals and eat good food.
    It's against the law to kill a beaver I believe in most places.Coon has been eaten for years in the south by the poor .The basic rule of thumb is if it doesn't eat meat it's safe to eat .Gator to me isn't worth much along with catfish and hush puppies.

Gators will eat any dead critter including a man. I was invited to a catfish feed by a customer in Florida and I had to go but the fish was terrible and the hush puppies gritty.Catfish is a member of the carp family and is a bottom feeder and the Jewish refuse to eat it and the Jews generally know what is good to eat and what isn't .

The flesh is flabby and can be wormy so if given a choice I will pass on Catfish.
    I prefer beef,lamb,very lean pork or bird.