Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Sonnabend
    My point exactly. He should know better.
    He is a she.

Whatever his political leanings he was unprofessional for insinuating his own political beliefs, whatever they might be, in a place where he is providing medical care to pregnant women who might actually be on an emotional rollercoaster because they are pregnant.
    As I understand it, the posters are covered by the First Amendment, being as they are on private property. By that corollary no doctor should have Fox news, CNN or other news shows on TV as they provide "political commentary"

Unless his sees only pregnant women of one political persuasion he should keep his views to himself.
    SHE is free to do as she damned well pleases.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    He is a she.

As I understand it, the posters are covered by the First Amendment, being as they are on private property. By that corollary no doctor should have Fox news, CNN or other news shows on TV as they provide "political commentary"

SHE is free to do as she damned well pleases.
    I said his/her in one part of my post. Really doesn't matter.

I said explicitly that it was the right of the doctor to do as he/she pleased on private property.

The doctor's judgment in posting the material is what I question.

First, do no harm is a valid principle in medical ethics. The doctor is governed by rules of behavior which are beyond the law and the rights given under the constitution.

This doctor did do harm to a patient. SHE may very well be able to do as she damned well pleases, but she is none-the-less, an ASS.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Sonnabend
    First, do no harm is a valid principle in medical ethics.
    Uh, primum non nocere refers to TREATMENT, not to what she can or cannot put on her office wall.

The doctor is governed by rules of behavior which are beyond the law and the rights given under the constitution.
    Say what????

This doctor did do harm to a patient. SHE may very well be able to do as she damned well pleases, but she is none-the-less, an ASS.
    The widdle moonbat had her widdle feewings hurt...awww diddums..

We don't actually get a get-out-of-jail-free card just because we're pregnant. Women aren't so emotionally fragile and totally driven by hormones as some of us would like men to believe.

The doctor wanted to enlist her patients in contacting their representatives to kill Obamacare because this doctor doesn't believe that she will be able to provide a good level of care under that program.

By all accounts the doc didn't suggest that the woman do anything nor did she have a political conversation with her at all. The patient was entirely in the wrong here. If she didn't care for the posters, she could have just changed docs and asked for her records to be forwarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    My point exactly. He should know better.

Whatever his political leanings he was unprofessional for insinuating his own political beliefs, whatever they might be, in a place where he is providing medical care to pregnant women who might actually be on an emotional rollercoaster because they are pregnant.

Unless his sees only pregnant women of one political persuasion he should keep his views to himself.
    If he owns the place she can put what evers he wants up on her walls as long as it's not illegal. So if she wants pics of mostly or completely naked men on her walls - that's her business. If you or I object, we can always take our business elsewhere.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

I said his/her in one part of my post. Really doesn't matter.

I said explicitly that it was the right of the doctor to do as he/she pleased on private property.

The doctor's judgment in posting the material is what I question.

First, do no harm is a valid principle in medical ethics. The doctor is governed by rules of behavior which are beyond the law and the rights given under the constitution.

How did he harm her? Was in not her choice to be come offended?

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

A doctor is likely to have patients of many political persuasions in his/her practice. They pay the the doctor for his/her medical expertise. The patient pays the doctor.

I'm damned if I am going to continue seeing, and paying, a medal professional who brings, unbidden, an extraneous element like politics into the doctor patient relationship, especially if the political opinion of the doctor is different from my own. I wouldn't want my doctor talking politics with me because I don't pay him/her for his/her political opinions, even if I happen to agree with them.

Political discussions are, by their nature, potentially divisive. Such is human nature. And disagreements often cause people to be upset. Nobody should get a pass because she is pregnant.

A doctor has a right to post what he or she pleases in his/her office.

A pediatrician is a doctor who has a right to dress up like Freddie Kruger when he see his patients. Some would think that tit was way cool. Others would be terrified. So, right?....yes....good idea?.....not so much.

A doctor is not only subject to state and federal laws and also the AMA Code of Medical Ethics and the principles of the Hippocratic Oath. Do no harm is a valid principle.

Since political speech, including posters, is obviously legal that brings us to the matter of the professional judgment of the doctor. I don't question HER right to put up the poster. I also happen to agree with the content of the poster. But SHE should have had better sense than to post it in HER office because of the potential for divisiveness but also because it might upset some patients of a different political persuasion. I would fire a doctor who had a Bush Lied People Died poster in his/her office where I am obviously going to read it if I am (!) There and (B) Conscious and (C) can read. It would royally piss me off.

I wouldn't however tear down the poster. But I might if I were a psychiatric patient and a psychiatrist's office. Pregnant women don't get a pass, obviously, neither should they be antagonized by the political opinions of their doctors whom they pay. That is not only bad judgment, but bad business.

How was the patient in all this hurt?

Was she upset by this? Yes, apparently she was enraged to the point that she tore down the poster. Was she correct in doing so, obviously not. Do I agree with her doing so? Obviously not. Should she have been put in a position to have felt this emotion in the first place. No.

What are the health risks to an unborn baby of such an incident? Well, the mother was highly upset. Hopefully the baby is unharmed. Most likely that is the case. But, one thing is certain, the mother will have to find a new ob/gyn. I hope then next one has better judgment.

Did it ever occur to any of you that there may be some pregnant women in this economy, maybe even in that doctor's practice, who are facing the prospect of an uncertain future employment wise, and maybe that will affect their health insurance coverage while they are pregnant? Such a patient might be a wee bit uncertain about the future, how to pay for the things needed including birthing etc. etc . Such a person might be on edge, feeling unattractive, hormonally challenged, uncomfortable, sick and did I mention hormonally challenged?

Such a person might even be in favor of Obama Care. They might even be Democrats. They have that right. I would that they be disabused of such notions, but you know what?... there is a place and a time for such political persuasion and it isn't at the doctor's office.

A doctor's office is also her workplace. If she believes that the government is headed toward a situation that will provide a lower standard of care, she can alert her patients to that opinion - an opinion that is probably more informed than the patient's own.

A woman who would act this way probably acts this way all the time, pregnant or not. She wasn't harmed, she was offended and I'll bet that she's offended early and often.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    A doctor's office is also her workplace. If she believes that the government is headed toward a situation that will provide a lower standard of care, she can alert her patients to that opinion - an opinion that is probably more informed than the patient's own.

A woman who would act this way probably acts this way all the time, pregnant or not. She wasn't harmed, she was offended and I'll bet that she's offended early and often.

Hey, I'm tryin' ta be sensitive here. :p

I don't think it being a workplace helps the argument. Many, even most times political discussion is discouraged, or even prohibited, in the workplace.

And I think the relationship between that particular patient and her doctor is the overriding factor.

The doctor's political opinions, no matter how right they might be, obviously got in the way of the doctor patient relationship.

The doctor was wrong.

[/B]

Hey, I'm tryin' ta be sensitive here. :p

I don't think it being a workplace helps the argument. Many, even most times political discussion is discouraged, or even prohibited, in the workplace.

And I think the relationship between that particular patient and her doctor is the overriding factor.

The doctor's political opinions, no matter how right they might be, obviously got in the way of the doctor patient relationship.

The doctor was wrong.
    Oh crap! Poli is your sock.:eek: