Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 "Mississippi ACLU demands female Student be Allowed to take Girlfriend to Prom" 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    ACLU demands female student be allowed to take girlfriend, wear tuxedo to prom

The American Civil Liberties Union and the Mississippi Safe Schools Coalition have sent a letter demanding that Itawamba County School District officials reverse their decision to forbid a lesbian student from attending prom with her girlfriend and from wearing a tuxedo to the prom.

Constance McMillen, a student at Itawamba Agricultural High School, said that school officials told her that she could not arrive at the prom with her girlfriend, also a student at IAHS, and that they might be thrown out if any other students complained about their presence. In addition, she was told that she would not be allowed to wear a tuxedo to the April 2 event.

“Prom is one of those high school moments everyone should get to experience and enjoy. I didn’t go to prom last year, so this is my only chance to go,” said McMillen, an 18-year-old senior at the school in Fulton, a small town of about 3,900 in the northeastern corner of Mississippi. “We just want to be able to be ourselves at our own prom.”

In its letter to Itawamba County School District officials, the ACLU cited federal court cases guaranteeing students’ First Amendment right to bring same-sex dates to school dances, and also pointed out that treating McMillen and other lesbian, gay, and bisexual students differently from other students violates the Constitution’s equal protection guarantees. In addition to illegally barring McMillen and her girlfriend from attending the prom together, the ACLU said that the school further violated McMillen’s free expression rights by telling her that she can’t wear a tuxedo to the prom.

The ACLU and the Mississippi Safe Schools Coalition have given the school district until March 10 to respond to their letter.

Not only do prom dress codes and same-sex date restrictions unfairly restrict LGBT students, but they can also affect other students as well. Some students cannot afford the expected prom attire, and those who do not have dates could be prevented from attending with friends.

http://www.examiner.com/x-12237-Tran...tuxedo-to-prom

Cancel the prom and plan a private formal. Either that or tell the ACLU to go F__ its sself.

I wasn't aware that the First Amendment covered things such as types of dress or dates...

Amazing what the Left thinks the Constitution protects....
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    I wasn't aware that the First Amendment covered things such as types of dress or dates...

You're talking about people who feel that they have a right to government funded health care so . . . .
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

I can't recall the last time the ACLU was on the right side of an issue.. They seem to side with the immoral with every opportunity...
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

I've never heard of restrictions on who can attend a prom. Unless things have changed a lot, plenty of people just go stag (male and female both). The clothing issue is laughable. Women are supposed to wear vaguely formal dresses (which doesn't mean much) and men wear a tux or a suit or at least real shoes and a tie.

Renting a tux isn't less expensive than buying a dress.

Proms have lost their very pointed heterosexual function as "practice" social events.

Are they both hot? Then fine.

Otherwise no because it's just gross.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post

Well, they certainly don't believe it protects conservative talk radio.

Quote Originally Posted by stsinner View Post
    I can't recall the last time the ACLU was on the right side of an issue.. They seem to side with the immoral with every opportunity...
    The ACLU is so convoluted that I sided with PeTA in a case where the both were fighting.
    Last edited by NJCardFan; 03-06-2010 at 11:41 PM.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I've never heard of restrictions on who can attend a prom. Unless things have changed a lot, plenty of people just go stag (male and female both). The clothing issue is laughable. Women are supposed to wear vaguely formal dresses (which doesn't mean much) and men wear a tux or a suit or at least real shoes and a tie.

Renting a tux isn't less expensive than buying a dress.

Proms have lost their very pointed heterosexual function as "practice" social events.
    My school did have restrictions on it. We had a couple open bi/homo sexual students in our school, but no big deal was made of it.

Going stag won't help much if your girlfriend/boyfriend doesn't go to that school.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post

Very true. They're all about the sex now.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.