Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    Islamic Theocracy is a fascist-esque reaction to the void left by the collapse of the soviet union and the systematic dismanteling of middle eastern democracies.
    Israel hasn't been dismantled; yet.
    People seem to forget that Afghanistan used to have an impressive record of western liberal social policies (at least when compared to todays), in fact it was a leader in the region in terms of civil rights policies.

However, these were being led by soviets so the United States actively funded and armed resistence groups to fight the soviets. The resulting void left an opportunity to the fascist-esque Radical Islamic Theocracy groups to take over afghanistan and begin to fight US.
    You have your time sequences bolixed up. Afghanistan had a reasonably progressive constitutional monarchy that was overthrown, I believe, during 1973. My recollection is that the Soviets were behind that coup, as well as a later one in 1978. The U.S. in fact funded anti-Soviet forces, some of whomo later became jihadis.
    This same effect occured after WWI in germany, the void in their broken country was the perfect petri-dish for the Nazi party to rise up.
    The U.S. was not the cause of WW I. We went in when Britain was in mortal danger and neutral shipping rights were under attack.

The Nazis did not come from out of nowhere. Their society was already primed for this.
    Last edited by JBG; 03-11-2010 at 08:24 AM.
    If it's us or them, I choose us.
    ============================
    Freedom speaks English.
    September 11; a moment of great moral clarity

This idea that "they hate freedom" is dumbed down puppy chow for the laziest thinkers among us.

Still, the fact that America essentially writes blank checks for Israel to commit what many call crimes against humanity (I believe it is currently still Iraeli Apartheid Awareness Week) can't simply be overlooked, it is a very primary reason that America is hated by middle easterners.

This fairly tale way of looking at the world of "good guys vs bad guys" gets us nowhere and can hardly even be called thought at all.
    Really now?

What Israel does is childs' play compared to the atrocities in the Arab world that are barely news.
    Freedom speaks English.

Quote Originally Posted by JBG View Post
    Really now?

What Israel does is childs' play compared to the atrocities in the Arab world that are barely news.
    What are some of the things that Israel does which you are referring to as "childs' play"?

Sonnabend
    If they attacked us because they hate our civil liberties or moral looseness (according to their fundamentalist views), shouldn't they be launching a full assault on Denmark and Amsterdam?
    They did. Massive riots and deaths over some cartoons. The Danes have had a gutful..so has France and other nations that are pissed off over Muslim aggression and wanton murder.

and this

Recognise him?

He wrote a book., more people died, and there is still a death sentence on him, the fatwa calling for any Muslim worldwide to murder him. Several assassination attempts have been made.

Sonnabend
    What are some of the things that Israel does which you are referring to as "childs' play"?
    Defending themselves against splodeydopes. These renegade Arabs that no one wants are the main problem....quite frankly, Israel would be best served by doing a Rachel Corrie on Gaza.

Turn the place into a parking lot or housing for settlers...either works for me.

There's a HUGE difference between not allowing freedom in a country you control and actively crusading against it as if it were a Real Thing that threatened you.
    Since the Islamic faith denies individual freedom to specific persons and when they attempt to spread their faith by all means necessary they are by default crusading against it freedom.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

I would cal lthe rather limited and surgical miitary operations, which at least try to keep to military targets, a lot gentler than the indiscriminate slaughter wreaked by Arab forces.

I am not that religious but a quick read of the Bible or Koran would show that the Arab's current style of warfare has been endemic to the region since Biblical times. Sometimes I wonder if we should treat the Gazans the way we were instructed to treat the Amelkites and Jebusites before.
    Freedom speaks English.

Apartheid is an international crime.

Israel, like all natons has a right to defend itself, and yes Palistinians are suicide bombing and attacking them regularly. However, it doesn't give Israel the right to place prohibition of Arabs (even Israeli citizens) to prvent them from marriage, from land ownership, from attaining water, vote, and so on. They systematically abuse the Arab people in the area even more than South Africa did to blacks not too long ago.

It is absolutely dehumanizing. An 11 year old child from Gaza throws a rock at an Israeli tank that rolls up and down his broken street, and the tank opens fire at him and kills him. This is not an unusual occurance.

Ther'es restrictions on travel education, really it's a full top to bottom very explicit apartheid. It's sad because Western media (even the EVVILLL LIBERALLLL CHANNELS) don't report on this.

My god they simple build roads and walls right over Palistinian land and prohibit them from crossing it, effectively annexing their land more and more each year.

It's an absolute atrocity and while they do have a legitimate justification for self-defense, they do not have a free card to commit crimes against humanity.

Apartheid is an international crime.

Israel, like all natons has a right to defend itself, and yes Palistinians are suicide bombing and attacking them regularly. However, it doesn't give Israel the right to place prohibition of Arabs (even Israeli citizens) to prvent them from marriage, from land ownership, from attaining water, vote, and so on. They systematically abuse the Arab people in the area even more than South Africa did to blacks not too long ago.

It is absolutely dehumanizing. An 11 year old child from Gaza throws a rock at an Israeli tank that rolls up and down his broken street, and the tank opens fire at him and kills him. This is not an unusual occurance.

Ther'es restrictions on travel education, really it's a full top to bottom very explicit apartheid. It's sad because Western media (even the EVVILLL LIBERALLLL CHANNELS) don't report on this.

My god they simple build roads and walls right over Palistinian land and prohibit them from crossing it, effectively annexing their land more and more each year.

It's an absolute atrocity and while they do have a legitimate justification for self-defense, they do not have a free card to commit crimes against humanity.
    One man's crime against humanity is another man's view of self-defense. All sides behave equally poorly and unjustly but to say that one side is behaving worse than the other shows a complete lack of understandings.

Which is the bigger crime, for and Israeli tank to roll over a teen who threw a rock at it, or for and Palestinian teen to walk in to a crowded cafe and detonate a suicide vest?

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    One man's crime against humanity is another man's view of self-defense. All sides behave equally poorly and unjustly but to say that one side is behaving worse than the other shows a complete lack of understandings.

Which is the bigger crime, for and Israeli tank to roll over a teen who threw a rock at it, or for and Palestinian teen to walk in to a crowded cafe and detonate a suicide vest?
    One is an oppressed individual committing a violent offense against civilians. Undeniably bad and totally unjustifiable. Its like a dog backed against a corner, it bites. The dog still gets put down, but it's behavior is not unexpected.

The other is a(n extremely powerful, nuclear armed) nation systematically oppressing an ethnic group (both non-citizens and citizens) and violating international law with total impunity.

While both are undoubtably bad, I'd say that institutionalized apartheid is worse than violent acts of "going postal" so to speak.