Thread: New HBO Series

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 New HBO Series 
    HBO greenlights 'Game of Thrones' to series (pic)
    Winter is, indeed, coming.

HBO has greenlighted highly anticipated fantasy series "Game of Thrones."

The premium network has picked up the project for a first season debut next spring (below is the first released photo from the series). Nine episodes plus the pilot have been ordered. Production will begin in Belfast this June.

From the moment the project was first announced in development, the series based on the George R.R. Martin novels has generated enormous, perhaps unprecedented, online interest for a series at such an early stage.

The sprawling tale set in the mythical land of Westeros tells the story of the noble Stark family who become caught up in high court intrigue when patriarch Eddard (played by Sean Bean) becomes the king's new right-hand man. The four-and-counting books in the series would each be used as one season of the series.

Unlike many fantasy novels, the "Thrones" series largely avoids relying on magical elements and instead goes for brutal realism -- think "Sopranos" with swords. Martin, a former TV writer ("Beauty and the Beast"), writes each chapter as a cliffhanger, which should lend itself well to series translation. David Benioff and Dan Weiss are the series creators.
    http://www.thrfeed.com/2010/03/hbo-g...-thrones-.html

Sounds pretty interesting.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Ugh. Another television series on HBO. Um, how about an occasional movie?
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Ugh. Another television series on HBO. Um, how about an occasional movie?
    I'd prefer they stick to the TV Shows. I remember their quality movies of the 80's and 90's.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I'd prefer they stick to the TV Shows. I remember their quality movies of the 80's and 90's.
    To be honest, I like True Blood. I liked the Soprano's for 3 seasons then they started taking 2 years in between seasons and even then only gave us 45 minute episodes. Other than that, the rest suck out loud.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    To be honest, I like True Blood. I liked the Soprano's for 3 seasons then they started taking 2 years in between seasons and even then only gave us 45 minute episodes. Other than that, the rest suck out loud.
    Bingo.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

I'll give any HBO original series a look. Some I can get into some I can't. This is the network that originally aired Band of Brothers (arguably the best programming ever to hit TV), soon "the Pacific", Hung is entertaining, the Sopranos was decent, and curb your enthusiasm is hit or miss to me. Sometimes funny, other times not.

Also deadwood and the one about Rome that I would still like to see in their entirety.

It looks to me that HBO is trying to rival "Sparticus: blood and sand" on starz. I"m not a big fan of "fantasy" type stuff, but I'll check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman_Shadwell View Post
    I'll give any HBO original series a look. Some I can get into some I can't. This is the network that originally aired Band of Brothers (arguably the best programming ever to hit TV), soon "the Pacific", Hung is entertaining, the Sopranos was decent, and curb your enthusiasm is hit or miss to me. Sometimes funny, other times not.

Also deadwood and the one about Rome that I would still like to see in their entirety.

It looks to me that HBO is trying to rival "Sparticus: blood and sand" on starz. I"m not a big fan of "fantasy" type stuff, but I'll check it out.
    HBO doesn't need to "rival" any of the subscription channels when it comes to tv shows. They set the bar on that stuff. Cinemax has done a pretty good job in meeting the quality of their shows, especially with Dexter. Starz Sparticus left a lot to be desired IMO.

As long as they stick to the story as written in the book, and hold the same production level that they have with their other shows, I see this being a damn good piece of work.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    HBO doesn't need to "rival" any of the subscription channels when it comes to tv shows.
    Agreed. Spartacus is the only series outside of HBO I've watched on a Sub. network. Maybe rival wasn't the word I was looking for. All I meant was that if HBO puts on an original series, I'll generally give a a chance. I can't say that for any other network.

As far as Spartacus on starz, I haven't seen the whole series yet. I started watching it on demand on a recommendation from a friend.

ROME.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman_Shadwell View Post

Sparticus: blood and sand is trying to be Rome times 300.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.