Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 McCain vetting Va. congressman as possible veep 
    McCain vetting Va. congressman as possible veep

By BOB LEWIS, Associated Press Writer 9 minutes ago
    RICHMOND, Va. - John McCain's campaign has asked Virginia Rep. Eric Cantor for personal documents as the Republican presidential candidate steps up his search for a running mate, The Associated Press has learned.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Cantor, 45, the chief deputy minority whip in the House, has been mentioned among several Republicans as a possible running mate for McCain. A Republican familiar with the conversations between Cantor and the McCain campaign said Cantor has been asked to turn over documents, but did not know specifically what records were sought.
    Interesting possibility!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080803/.../mccain_cantor
    This is bigger than presidential politics. This is a battle for America.

Goldwater
    Sarah Palin the best choice. He can win with her.

Palin exactly the veep McCain needs
    Palin can win the hearts of conservatives, given her strong pro-life views -- views that were backed up with action this year when she gave birth to a son with Down's syndrome. It would probably also help with these folks that her oldest son recently enlisted in the Army. And she can excite libertarian Republicans, given her fiscal conservatism as governor as well as her reputation for anti-corruption, love of guns and the outdoor life, and moderation on social issues other than abortion.

In short, Palin will provide McCain the surge he needs to win his last battle.
    But she is caught up in a special investigator situation.

Beaten Last Dead Horse
    I have no objection to Sarah Palin as McCain's VP, so far. She is solidly pro-life, which is good. I just hope she isn't pro-amnesty for illegals like McCain is, or pro-gay civil unions/marriage/adoption. That might be difficult to swallow.

I know very little about VA Rep. Eric Cantor, so I cannot comment on him, at this point in time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    Sarah Palin the best choice. He can win with her.
    GW, I'm not familiar with Sarah Palin but, according to the article LL quotes above, she seems primarily known for "pro-life" views. If that's the case, and since McCain himself is already pro-life, what does she add to the ticket to attract the moderate vote?

Quote Originally Posted by mike128 View Post
    I know very little about VA Rep. Eric Cantor, so I cannot comment on him, at this point in time.
    Heaven knows we are waiting with baited breath for your approval.

Power CUer
    (whispering) Eric Cantor doesn't believe in Jesus! :eek:

I moved away from Virginia about 6 years ago, was it Cantor that had anti-Semitic literature used against him?

Power CUer
    I don't know, but sadly I wouldn't be surprised, since he's from a more rural part of the state. I remember he ran against that guy who has spent his whole life capitalizing on the few years he was on "Dukes of Hazzard".

Goldwater
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    GW, I'm not familiar with Sarah Palin but, according to the article LL quotes above, she seems primarily known for "pro-life" views. If that's the case, and since McCain himself is already pro-life, what does she add to the ticket to attract the moderate vote?
    McCain has trouble with the evangelicals anyway, not that they want Obama, theres just no enthusiasm for McCain himself. Palin brings together those Christians and makes libertarian, Reagan type conservatives more comfortable. Add to that she is a very attractive woman and a good mother for the Clinton supporters and you've got one of the best possible VP picks for McCain, if he picks her I might change my prediction to who will win.