1. #1 Pope Pius in WW II - Enemy or Friend of Jews? 
    I have long considered Pope Pius to be one of Hitler's enablers. Now I'm not so sure, given Gary Krupps' work, detailed in article below, and gut instinct.

What's the instinct based on? Simple, the Pope sits in the Vatican. Italy, which surrounds it, was a significant Axis power. As Stalin asked, how many division did the Pope have at the time? While Pope John Paul II turned out to have many "divisions" when it came to upending Communism in Poland, he was not sitting in Poland or for that matter a Russian ally.

I think the Pope likely did what he could but I'm not totally convinced. Excerpts from New York Times article below:
    Wartime Pope Has a Huge Fan: A Jewish Knight (link)

But the more curious and complicated story is the transformation Mr. Krupp has undergone since. With no previous training or special interest in history, he has emerged as the Vatican’s most outspoken Jewish ally in a heated debate at the crux of tensions between Roman Catholic and Jewish leaders and historians: whether Pope Pius XII, the pontiff during World War II, did as much as he could have to save Jews from the Holocaust.

Mr. Krupp, 62, has raised enough money through the Pave the Way Foundation, a nonprofit organization he founded in 2002, to travel the globe, hire researchers to scour historic documents, sponsor a three-day symposium in Rome and publish four editions of a glossy, illustrated volume of evidence supporting his view that Pius XII spared no effort to save the lives of persecuted Jews.

He has pressed his case in a recent op-ed article for The New York Post, and in interviews with conservative Catholic television programs and Web sites, which have cited him as an expert on Pius.

The controversy over Pius’s wartime conduct had stalled his elevation for so many years that Pope Benedict’s action shocked scholars on both sides of the debate. And while agreeing on little else, some in both camps credit Mr. Krupp for breaking the logjam.

In a dispute decades long, the church has maintained that Pius XII supported efforts throughout the war to hide Jews or help them escape, but worked behind the scenes to avoid retaliation from Nazi and Italian Fascist authorities.

Holocaust scholars, who consider Pius, with his worldwide network of diplomats and clergy, to be among the first world leaders to have grasped the scope of the Jewish persecution, have asked why he did not condemn it publicly. But most consider that and other questions unanswerable until the Vatican opens the complete archives of Pius’s papacy. Although a selection of those papers has been published, the Vatican has kept most off limits to outside researchers.

Did you know Pius XII saved more than 860,000 Jews from the death camps? I mean, I never knew that before. It’s character assassination — a shanda — that so many Jews say he was an anti-Semite,” said Mr. Krupp, using a Yiddish word for disgrace.

The assessment of Mr. Krupp’s work among many scholars and leaders of long-established Jewish organizations has been equally harsh.

Rabbi Eric J. Greenberg, associate director of interfaith affairs at the Anti-Defamation League, called Mr. Krupp’s mission “a campaign of misinformation.”

Professor Dwork said Mr. Krupp’s research was “amateurish, worse than amateurish — risible.” More disturbing, she said, it seems to have emboldened some in the Vatican to push harder for Pius XII’s canonization.

“Listen to me: Pius XII was the greatest hero of World War II,” Mr. Krupp said recently. “He saved more Jews than Roosevelt, Churchill and all the rest of them combined. We should not let him be an issue between Catholics and Jews.”

He added: “And I predict this: Historians are never going to solve this whole problem. There will always be questions.”

Thoughts?
    If it's us or them, I choose us.
    ============================
    Freedom speaks English.
    September 11; a moment of great moral clarity

Power CUer
    Yad Vashem may have listed him as one of the Righteous Among the Nations, but I have no idea why he's being considered for sainthood.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

I wasn't alive at the time, it's hard for me to pass judgement on the pope for not stopping the holocaust. I don't know if any one man could do so, and I'm not sure an organization as large and powerful as the Roman Catholic Church even could have done so. Situations like that become matters of saving who you can and shining a light on the evil in hopes that other powers will see it and rise to help.

There are stories of people who acted bravely to save jews and other people from the holocaust, like Schindler, Corrie ten Boom and her family, the people who hid the Franks, Bonhoeffer, etc. Is it fair to compare the pope to them? I don't know. If he really did save 800,000+ jews from the holocaust, that should be reported fairly. It puts him in Schindler's league.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    If he really did save 800,000+ jews from the holocaust, that should be reported fairly. It puts him in Schindler's league.
    Tentatively that's where' I'm heading but I do want to see more evidence and examples.
    If it's us or them, I choose us.
    Freedom speaks English.
    September 11; a moment of great moral clarity