Thread: "Generation Kill" on HBO

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 "Generation Kill" on HBO 
    Have any of you seen this show? It is hands down the most despicable piece of anti-war propaganda I have ever seen. Its not even anti-war, but anti-Troop is more like it. It shows our soldiers as stupid, raping, murdering animals. It is so over the top that I felt disgusting after watching it for 2 minutes.

Heck, just look at the name of the show - "Generation Kill". Gee, I wonder what they are saying with that title.

Unreal.
    **** Obama and **** you too.

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMBA View Post
    Have any of you seen this show? It is hands down the most despicable piece of anti-war propaganda I have ever seen. Its not even anti-war, but anti-Troop is more like it. It shows our soldiers as stupid, raping, murdering animals. It is so over the top that I felt disgusting after watching it for 2 minutes.

Heck, just look at the name of the show - "Generation Kill". Gee, I wonder what they are saying with that title.

Unreal.
    It is very real.

The story is a true account of the war.

Some of the people that were in the real Recon Battalion are actually actors in the show. For instance, the Recon sniper called “Fruity Rudy” is the real person.

I have not seen any raping on the show. The Marine shot a camel in real life during the Advance on Baghdad under orders to shoot anything that moved. Those were actual orders and it happened as depicted. I suspect there were many killed in the war. Shit happens in war. You also saw the officer chew ass for it happening and told the Marines that they were not there to do stuff like that. You also saw the squad show compassion for the boy that got shot even when it was not good security wise to do so.

As far as stupid goes there are some stupid people in the military. There are some stupid enlisted men and there are stupid officers and NCOs. Just like in real life there are stupid people and you will also find some of them in the military.

In the military you have thieves, psychos, con men, cowards etc, etc, in addition to decent, moral, and hard working men and women. The military is a cross section of America. There are nether Saints or sinners. They are just Americans. Most of them are kids not far out of High School. In my time in the military I ran across officers and NCOs just as incompetent as the ones depicted in the show, which were based upon real life people. I also ran across some very good leaders. You also have to remember that Lt Flick is depicted as a very good leader.

I look at the series as showing how men do their duty under the stresses of war. War is not pretty. War is chaotic as hell. The series is actually good in my opinion. As a veteran I watch it and relate and also get an appreciation of the stresses the troops went through to invade Iraqi.

I dont subscrine to that crap channel called HBO, though i do want to see this series, the book was good and didnt strike me as anti anything though HBO is known for liberalizing things

I just started watching another HBO series I rented call John Adams and even there they throw in a bit if leftist crap that has no context in history to back up it having happened but they stick it in w/ a secondary character so no one gets pissed, well except me
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants, it is the creed of slaves." -William Pitt

I'm a Marine, currently serving in Iraq. I think you took the show in entirely the wrong light. At first, when I saw the ads I thought it was going to be an Anti-War, Anti-Marine Corps production but nothing could be further from the truth. The show deals with and shows possibly the most realistic depiction of modern warfare ever shown on screen.

Recon Marines, and frankly Marines in general are a strange group of people. No doubt you noticed the black comedy in the show, the way the characters talk to each other. The dialoge is often filled with racial remarks, ethnic slurs, profanity, you name it. It SEEMS barbaric...it SEEMS idiotic....but it's war. Those who've served in Combat, especially Marines I'm sure could watch Generation Kill and get a kick out how accurately they portrayed the way we interact with each other. When it's 130 degrees in a blistering sand filled nation, you're thousands of miles from home, scared of what might happen you come up with ways to keep each other occupied. We swear, talk smack to each other and engage in a lot of Off Color antics. It's a way to keep your morale and your sanity.

HBO and the Marines involved realized a lot of America and the World as a whole might look at this and think we're mindless killers. But it's an accurate portrayal of Recon, and I think it's a great piece.

If some people think it shows us as ruthless killers, it's because we are. Granted, we're taught to follow the Rules of Engagement, and only a heartless monster would target unarmed women or children. But complete annihilation, total destruction of the enemy? That's the Marines job. War isn't nice or fun and it isn't something you can win by trying to fight it "politically correct". I applaude the Marines who participated in Generation Kill. OORAH.
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by NonConformist View Post
    I dont subscrine to that crap channel called HBO, though i do want to see this series, the book was good and didnt strike me as anti anything though HBO is known for liberalizing things
    HBO did Band of Brothers.

That was a good show and it wants full of liberal crap. I have it on Tape
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants, it is the creed of slaves." -William Pitt

Most of my favourite tv-series (ROME, Band of Brothers, John Adams, the Sopranos, Deadwood and Carnivale) aired on HBO, so I have very little against that channel. Bill Maher, however, is a pretty horrible person as far as I can tell. I'll certainly watch Generation Kill.
    Last edited by IanMartins; 08-03-2008 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    It is very real.

The story is a true account of the war.

Some of the people that were in the real Recon Battalion are actually actors in the show. For instance, the Recon sniper called “Fruity Rudy” is the real person.

I have not seen any raping on the show. The Marine shot a camel in real life during the Advance on Baghdad under orders to shoot anything that moved. Those were actual orders and it happened as depicted. I suspect there were many killed in the war. Shit happens in war. You also saw the officer chew ass for it happening and told the Marines that they were not there to do stuff like that. You also saw the squad show compassion for the boy that got shot even when it was not good security wise to do so.

As far as stupid goes there are some stupid people in the military. There are some stupid enlisted men and there are stupid officers and NCOs. Just like in real life there are stupid people and you will also find some of them in the military.

In the military you have thieves, psychos, con men, cowards etc, etc, in addition to decent, moral, and hard working men and women. The military is a cross section of America. There are nether Saints or sinners. They are just Americans. Most of them are kids not far out of High School. In my time in the military I ran across officers and NCOs just as incompetent as the ones depicted in the show, which were based upon real life people. I also ran across some very good leaders. You also have to remember that Lt Flick is depicted as a very good leader.

I look at the series as showing how men do their duty under the stresses of war. War is not pretty. War is chaotic as hell. The series is actually good in my opinion. As a veteran I watch it and relate and also get an appreciation of the stresses the troops went through to invade Iraqi.
    But what about the parts where they push propaganda, like the line last night of "dont help the injured civilians. The law says we only have to provide them with the level of care they could get on their own, and around here that is nothing."

Dont you think that suggests that our military doesnt want to help the injured civilians?

And what about when they are driving and shooting and saying "vote republican"?

And the parts where they are mocking the Islamic faith? Does that do our soldiers any good?

Parts of it may be "based on true stories", but I would say it is very, very loosely based. To anyone outside of the military it makes our soldiers look bad.

Quote Originally Posted by OwlMBA View Post
    But what about the parts where they push propaganda, like the line last night of "dont help the injured civilians. The law says we only have to provide them with the level of care they could get on their own, and around here that is nothing."

Dont you think that suggests that our military doesnt want to help the injured civilians?

SF can not usually spare any supplies lest the short themselves, its more a matter or practicality than maliciousness, plus they cant get tied down when they need to push on
    and they have no idea when they can resupply if at all

And what about when they are driving and shooting and saying "vote republican"?

Because they are liberating people and the Republicans are the masterminds?

And the parts where they are mocking the Islamic faith? Does that do our soldiers any good?

No, but the truth is the truth, and I dont know any decent American who wouldntr mock the so called Religion of Peace

Parts of it may be "based on true stories", but I would say it is very, very loosely based. To anyone outside of the military it makes our soldiers look bad.
    You'd be surprised how LE, FF the .mil etc would look if people knew half the crap you do to keep sane or the things we joke about!

Quote Originally Posted by NonConformist View Post
    You'd be surprised how LE, FF the .mil etc would look if people knew half the crap you do to keep sane or the things we joke about!

I appreciate the insight from our military folks. It is helpful. Believe me. But I still don't think they do a good job of portraying our military. When a program like this shows our soldiers mocking "towel heads", even though I am sure it is true sometimes, it does us no good. True or not, this show would only serve to grow hatred of our soldiers. It honestly makes them look like braindead hicks with a bone to pick, and they don't care who gets in the way.

But I am of the belief that war does not belong on TV. Not live on the news networks or satorialized on HBO. War is hell, and the media does not need to be involved. If you want to see it, go enlist. That is the way I look at it. The media picks and chooses what they want to show, and they do a great job of picking the worst things.

When Al Jazeera shows clips from CNN's embedded reporters, you know something is wrong.

From an outsiders point of view, this show is negative of our soldiers and our military.