Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMBA View Post
    And the raping and deliberate murder of innocent civilians, followed by a laugh as portrayed in generation kill? Is that all part of it too?

Trust me, all that show is doing is hurting people's opinion of the military. We expect you to cuss, we expect you to use slurs, but that show goes WAY beyond that to things that nobody wants our military doing. They make it look like murdering civies and the like is common.
    Okay, I only saw the first few episodes since I came to Iraq in June but I didn't see any raping going on. Civilian deaths? Yes, it's a fact of war. What part of that don't you understand? Would you favor Stalinist censorship rather then the brutal truth of this war?
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    Okay, I only saw the first few episodes since I came to Iraq in June but I didn't see any raping going on. Civilian deaths? Yes, it's a fact of war. What part of that don't you understand? Would you favor Stalinist censorship rather then the brutal truth of this war?
    You are missing the point. Had you seen the show, they REVELED in it. I could give a @#$% about civilian deaths, but in this show they show soldiers as seeking out civilians to kill in one scene.

So you can either say, "yup thats how our soldiers are - excited to kill iraqi civilians" or you can say "the show unfairly stereotypes our soldiers are murderers".

They also did a good job of throwing in snarky little comments like about the military being comprised of the bottom of the class, etc.

Trust me, that show does the military no favors. When the DUmpies love it you know there is a problem.
    **** Obama and **** you too.

I'll have to watch the rest of the series and make my own decision on it. From everything I read about it and saw in the first few episodes it's extremely accurate to what happened, if the SSgt from the unit is working on the project as a producer I have to believe he didn't make stuff up. I'll watch the rest and see what I think.
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

gator
    You are missing the point. Had you seen the show, they REVELED in it. I could give a @#$% about civilian deaths, but in this show they show soldiers as seeking out civilians to kill in one scene.

So you can either say, "yup thats how our soldiers are - excited to kill iraqi civilians" or you can say "the show unfairly stereotypes our soldiers are murderers".

They also did a good job of throwing in snarky little comments like about the military being comprised of the bottom of the class, etc.

Trust me, that show does the military no favors. When the DUmpies love it you know there is a problem.
    Read his first post. He sees the point. It is you that is missing it.

I saw no stereotype as murders. I also saw no rape, although you mentioned it twice.

Almost everybody in the military has snarky little comments to make at one time or another. Some do it constantly. I saw the men in the squad get really pissed when a civilian boy was shot accidentally. Then even shunned the person that did it (accidentally) and called him asshole.

The DUers can love it for whatever reason they want. If you go to the military type forums like AR-15.com (mostly military) you will see the same kind of comments made by the vets on this thread. The show is appreciated for its realistic portrayal.

The men depicted in the show are all volunteers. Many of them are also professionals. They bitch and complain about the conditions like all military men before them. They make fun of the incompetent officers behind their back like all military men before them. They bitch about not knowing what is going on like all military men before them. They become callous to killing like all military men before them. They are all full of piss and vinegar like all military men before them.

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    I'll have to watch the rest of the series and make my own decision on it. From everything I read about it and saw in the first few episodes it's extremely accurate to what happened, if the SSgt from the unit is working on the project as a producer I have to believe he didn't make stuff up. I'll watch the rest and see what I think.

Go to the HBO Generation Kill website and you will see interviews of the men that were on the Recon squad including the SSG and the Lt. All the events depicted in the series happened and they tried very hard to capture the language and mood of the troops.

Eyelids
    Of course it should. But Generation Kill does for the military what "The First 48" on A&E does for the black community.
    What the hell is The First 48?

The big Cheese
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids View Post
    What the hell is The First 48?
    One does not greet death when he knocks at your door.

Nay you repeatedly punch him in the throat as he slowly drags you away.

Eyelids
    I was there was a way to adblock Zafod.

You do know he is a mod, don't you?

The big Cheese
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids View Post
    I was there was a way to adblock Zafod.
    I was there was a way to make you not be so fucking retarded!

Congrats though......

One does not greet death when he knocks at your door.

Nay you repeatedly punch him in the throat as he slowly drags you away.