Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    Me too.

Spices, every day. And cigars (not every day). And of course, some good single malt (also not every day).

Cigars are a problem ... I have to go up to London or Belgium to get resupplies.

minor threadjack

/minor threadjack
    Hey! Lots of spice every day and there's no reason not to have a good single malt every day as well (at least an Oban). One cigar a week.

BTW, isn't Calais closer? And watch out for the strike force of Adebayor, de Silva, Vela, and Van Persie this year. :D

All the chavs go to Calais. If you want to see chavs en masse, then Cite Europe is the place to be.

I go through it when I'm in the car on the way to Brugge. I go through it ... not to it.

Plus they don't know how to store cigars properly in Calais, whereas in Brugge, no problem.

That box of Maduros came from Jerry's in Brugge.

London, I go to Foxes of St James

Amsterdam, PGC Hajenuis on Rokin... amazingly good, probably the best cigar place anywhere in the world. Like a temple of cigars, in Art Deco, with beautiful women and all.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkalot View Post
    OMG
    that is the cutest little furry :)

I AM IN UR HAND HOLDING MY ICKLE AR. SRSLY KTHXBAI.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    CW, I don't think I've ever used fresh garlic. I normally buy the minced garlic but always have garlic powder on hand just in case. As for the cigars...we have cigar shops popping up all over the place here. I, of course, don't smoke them. Are y'all talking about hard to get cigars?
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    All the chavs go to Calais. If you want to see chavs en masse, then Cite Europe is the place to be.

I go through it when I'm in the car on the way to Brugge. I go through it ... not to it.

Plus they don't know how to store cigars properly in Calais, whereas in Brugge, no problem.

That box of Maduros came from Jerry's in Brugge.

London, I go to Foxes of St James

Amsterdam, PGC Hajenuis on Rokin... amazingly good, probably the best cigar place anywhere in the world. Like a temple of cigars, in Art Deco, with beautiful women and all.
    My favorite cigar is the Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur...and Fuente Gran Reserva is a good one, also, although ANY Fuente is a good smoke, in my opinion. Years ago my Dad got a hold of some Opus X's....pretty damn good cigar.
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Cigars are nasty.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Ive smoked cheap cigars with my sisters on our semi annual weekend getaways. Since I will not be introducing
    them to Scotch..single or double or mixed malt, on our next gathering, maybe it would be fun to introduce the
    sisters to a really good cigar. Who decided that cigars are just for men??

My grandmother told me that her mother, an Amish woman, and her sisters loved to relax with a good cigar.

Anyway, My local beer distributor has cigars that are kept in a humidity controlled thingy.

I think I will just buy the most expensive cigar, and we will all try it. Sounds like fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Cigars are nasty.
    I agree. :D Hope SR listens to you. He just laughs when I say it while he's puffing away.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

GO CARDS

TOTD: I would say that this is a difficult question to answer meaningfully. Most of the "exotic" foods we associate with being heavily spiced really weren't day-to-day foods of the peasant or working classes. People might eat spiced foods for holidays and celebrations but most people ate somewhat plain foods on a daily basis. The other thing is that using a lot of garlic may seem exotic to a Midwestern farm family but using a lot of dill and vinegar would seem exotic to someone else and would have been dead common in Kansas.

One thing that is worth noting is that studies have shown that urbanized people living sedentary lives eat quite a bit more calorically when food is spiced and when numerous ingredients are used in a dish. They not only eat larger portions versus plain foods but they actively seek these foods out more often. In traditional settings, people ate a lot at celebrations and then went back to their rice/polenta/bread staple and reduced their portions sizes. We don't do that.