Thread: Is a woman's place in the home? 1 in 4 say yes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Is a woman's place in the home? 1 in 4 say yes 
    Is a woman's place in the home? 1 in 4 say yes

Sun Mar 7, 2010 12:17pm EST

NEW YORK (Reuters Life!) - Women head governments, run companies and comprise about half the world's workforce, but a global poll shows that one in four people, most of them young, believe a woman's place is in the home.

The survey of over 24,000 adults in 23 countries, conducted by Reuters/Ipsos and released on the eve of International Women's Day, showed that people from India (54 percent), Turkey (52 percent), Japan (48 percent), China, Russia, Hungary (34 percent each) and South Korea (33 percent) were most likely to agree that women should not work.

And, perhaps surprisingly, people aged between 18 and 34 years are most likely to hold that view, not those from the older, and more traditional, generation.

However, the majority, or 74 percent, of those polled believe a woman's place is certainly not at home.
    Interesting. There are always problems with the media's treatment of this issue. One problem is that the media continue to feed the idea that women have a real choice. Most don't. Standards of living and expectations (even in the third world) are so high that virtually all women are simply expected to work in addition to everything else.

The other problem is that the media draws a bright line between paycheck work and working at home. A woman can be a cook and maid outside the home and this is considered "work" if she receives a paycheck for it but those same tasks in her own home aren't considered work.

There is a big value in having an adult who is able to attend to childcare/elder care, manage the home, work in the yard, prepare healthy food, execute errands, and perform social tasks.

Reuters

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Interesting. There are always problems with the media's treatment of this issue. One problem is that the media continue to feed the idea that women have a real choice. Most don't. Standards of living and expectations (even in the third world) are so high that virtually all women are simply expected to work in addition to everything else.

The other problem is that the media draws a bright line between paycheck work and working at home. A woman can be a cook and maid outside the home and this is considered "work" if she receives a paycheck for it but those same tasks in her own home aren't considered work.

There is a big value in having an adult who is able to attend to childcare/elder care, manage the home, work in the yard, prepare healthy food, execute errands, and perform social tasks.

Reuters
    Don't forget the wifely duties!

Do you know why a guy would say, a woman's place is in the home? Not really having a lot of choice in the matter, I've been a stay at home dad for a few years now and I know the answer to that question. It's because being the primary caregiver parent and taking care of a home is one helluva tough job and I think a lot of men could not do it. It goes against thousands of years of training men have endured. We are hunters and gatherers not homemakers. To obscure the fact we are not suited for the job, if not incapable, we announce that women should assume it. Clever.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

Power CUer
    It's wherever she wants it to be.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostThere View Post
    Do you know why a guy would say, a woman's place is in the home? Not really having a lot of choice in the matter, I've been a stay at home dad for a few years now and I know the answer to that question. It's because being the primary caregiver parent and taking care of a home is one helluva tough job and I think a lot of men could not do it. It goes against thousands of years of training men have endured. We are hunters and gatherers not homemakers. To obscure the fact we are not suited for the job, if not incapable, we announce that women should assume it. Clever.
    I can picture Linda numbers topless with a spear chasing wild boar.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    There is always a choice. My sister is a stay at home mom with a house, 2 cars, 4 kids under 10, and only my B-in-laws income as a restaurant manager with a national family dining chain. They are sensible about how they spend their money an do very well. My Brother on the otherhand and his wife both work, have 2 kids, 2 cars, rent, and barely make ends meet while making twice what my sister and her family live off of.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Women should be able to do anything men do, except vote and drive a car.....
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    Women should be able to do anything men do, except vote and drive a car.....
    and have opinions ;)

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    and have opinions ;)
    :D

Actually, i'm a wild-eyed liberal on that one. I think they can have all the opinions they want. They shouldn't be able to voice them, of course.

Goes without saying, really.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    :D

Actually, i'm a wild-eyed liberal on that one. I think they can have all the opinions they want. They shouldn't be able to voice them, of course.

Goes without saying, really.
    I'm always willing to let my wife know what her opinions are and I given them to her all the time. ;)