Thread: Dietary Supplement Makers Up As McCain Withdraws Bill Support

1. #1 Dietary Supplement Makers Up As McCain Withdraws Bill Support 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    -Shares of nutritional supplement makers climbed Monday as Sen. John McCain (R., Ariz) withdrew his support for legislation to regulate dietary supplements.

"It looks like it will be an easier world to be in the dietary supplement business," said Avondale analyst Bret Jordan. "The bill would have significantly tightened regulatory requirements."

In February, McCain and Sen. Byron Dorgan (D., N.D.) introduced the Dietary Supplement Safety Act of 2010 to give the U.S. Food and Drug Administration more power to oversee the dietary supplement industry amid concerns the products contain harmful, hidden ingredients. The proposal would have given the FDA powers to recall dietary supplements from the marketplace and would require companies to list all ingredients in the products.

But McCain recently withdrew his support, with Sen. Orrin Hatch (R., Utah) thanking him in a letter for doing so. Utah is the largest producer of dietary supplements.

"I am pleased that you understand my serious concerns with your bill," Hatch said in a letter posted on McCain's Web site. "Also, I want to thank you for agreeing to withdraw your support for the provisions of S. 3002 that I believe would do great harm to the dietary supplement industry and work with me on solutions that will truly help dietary supplement consumers without injuring this important industry."

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...08-711131.html

Comments:
    I read Mike Reagan’s editorial wherein he describes McCain’s arrogance and contempt for us Great Unwashed and his mad ego as he has seen from McCain in person. I agree with him.

I’m betting that Maverick John just decided to hop aboard Dorgan’s bandwagon out of pure instinct that us peasants should not be trusted to purchase vitamins and supplements freely because we’re too stoopid.

I’m also betting that he had no idea of the anthill he’d be kicking over with this action and was far too arrogant to bother finding out what a huge and varied population takes supplements and does not want the nanny state telling them what they can and can’t take by mouth.
    mccain still needs to be put out to pasture.

Yes, but we’ll still have to deal with MiniMe Grahmnesty...
    we have to make sure that people in SC get their minds right and dump that little twinkie too
    I read Mike Reagan’s editorial wherein he describes McCain’s arrogance and contempt for us Great Unwashed and his mad ego as he has seen from McCain in person. I agree with him.

I agree about the ego, but I don't think MCain has arrogance for the Great Unwashed. I just think is a weak minded dummy. He is led into poor legislation like this and McCain Feingold be cause he isn't intelligent enough to see past the limited appeal of something.

Really, I just think he is a dumbass with a short fuse.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    he finally did something smart. i'm extatic that he withdrew his support from this. I'm sure some of it was campain backlash, but this would have hurt a TON of people, not just the companies.