Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Black Barbie Sold for Less Than White Barbie at Walmart Store 
    Walmart is raising eyebrows after cutting the price of a black Barbie doll to nearly half of that of the doll's white counterpart at one store and possibly others.

A photo first posted to the humor Web site FunnyJunk.com and later to the Latino Web site Guanabee.com shows packages of Mattel's Ballerina Barbie and Ballerina Theresa dolls hanging side by side at an unidentified store. The Theresa dolls, which feature brown skin and dark hair, are marked as being on sale at $3.00. The Barbies to the right of the Theresa dolls, meanwhile, retain their original price of $5.93. The dolls look identical aside from their color.

Editors at Guanabee.com said the person responsible for the photo told the Web site that it was taken at a Louisiana Walmart store. The person did not return e-mails from ABCNews.com.

A Walmart spokeswoman, who could not verify the exact store shown in the photo, said that the price change on the Theresa doll was part of the chain's efforts to clear shelf space for its new spring inventory.

"To prepare for (s)pring inventory, a number of items are marked for clearance, " spokeswoman Melissa O'Brien said in an e-mail. "... Both are great dolls. The red price sticker indicates that this particular doll was on clearance when the photo was taken, and though both dolls were priced the same to start, one was marked down due to its lower sales to hopefully increase purchase from customers."

"Pricing like items differently is a part of inventory management in retailing," O'Brien said.

But critics say Walmart should have been more sensitive in its pricing choice.

"The implication of the lowering of the price is that's devaluing the black doll," said Thelma Dye, the executive director of the Northside Center for Child Development, a Harlem, N.Y. organization founded by pioneering psychologists and segregation researchers Kenneth B. Clark and Marnie Phipps Clark.

"While it's clear that's not what was intended, sometimes these things have collateral damage," Dye said.

Other experts agree. Walmart could have decided "that it's really important that we as a company don't send a message that we value blackness less than whiteness," said Lisa Wade, an assistant sociology professor at Occidental College in Los Angeles and the founder of the blog Sociological Images.

Last year, Wade posted a blog entry on another case where a black doll was apparently priced less than its white counterpart at an unidentified store. Wade said that when white dolls outsell black dolls, it's usually because black parents are more likely than white parents to buy their children dolls of a different race.

"Most white parents wouldn't think to buy black doll for their child, even if they believe in equality and all those things," she said.
    http://abcnews.go.com/Business/black...ry?id=10045008

It's a fuckin' doll!!!!!!!!
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

All the black people who run civil rights' organizations are aghast. The rest of them are going to Walmart to get some black barbies at great prices for birthday and Christmas presents! I might go and get a couple to donate for our office Christmas party next year.

It's funny-last year, Walmart had a retro-Barbie that was a re-issue of the very first Barbie I ever had-Julia, from the tv show! It was $45, or I would have bought it as a collectable. It never went on clearance, I kept looking. But Julia was a show that's title character was a black, widowed nurse with a really cute little boy.

the reactions to this are commodity fetishism exemplified.

symptom of capitalist ideology.

Supply and demand. I demand you Whitey, Cracker Racists run out and buy the entire supply of Black Barbies at full price!
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

To paraphase Ram Jam

Old black Barbie bambalam
    Black Barbie had a child bambalam
    Damn thing gone wild bambalam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMLnDuzgkjo

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    To paraphase Ram Jam

Black Barbie had a child bambalam
    Damn thing gone wild bambalam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMLnDuzgkjo
    Gotta Love it. :D
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post

You are a symptom caused by a leaky condom!

Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

You know, I was going to ask you if you're really this stupid but I realized that you really are. Since you're too stupid to figure things out on your own, let me help you out and it's a simple lesson in economics:

You're a widgit salesman. You are given 50 widgits to sell: 25 red and 25 blue. After a month of selling you realize that the blue ones are selling like hotcakes but you can't give the red ones away. Logic dictates that if you want to make money, sell more blue widgits but you're stuck with these red ones which are taking shelf space. You have 2 choices: completely remove the red ones leaving them to clog up your warehouse or you can cut your losses and knock the red ones down to 1/3 of the regular price to get rid of them. Eventually you do and now you're free to sell nothing but blue widgits and boost your profit margin. It's really this simple but being the liberal that you are, this logic thingy is beyond your level of comprehension.

My guess is that this Walmart can't give the black Barbies away so they're doing the logical thing: lower the price so you can start moving them. Only uppity liberal douchebags would make an issue out of this.

On a side note, I completely agree with Rebel Yell...it's a fucking doll!
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    You know, I was going to ask you if you're really this stupid but I realized that you really are. Since you're too stupid to figure things out on your own, let me help you out and it's a simple lesson in economics:
    um i was talking about the people who were criticizing wal-mart.