Thread: Do You Ladies And Gentlemen Entertain The Nation That McCain Might Lose?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Do You Ladies And Gentlemen Entertain The Nation That McCain Might Lose? 
    I see some of the same overconfidence here that I see at the DUmp. They think that Obama can't lose and they might be right. Every available metric favors the Democrat this year.Perception is more important than reality and the perception is the war is bad, the economy is bad, and George Bush is a failed president. You might agree or disagree with that assessment but that is what Senator McCain is up against.He is also up against a charismatic candidate who has the press in his back pocket.

The political environment in 2008 is as bad for the Republicans as it was for the Democrats in 1980 and we all saw what happened. Ronald Reagan won 489 Electoral College Votes and the Republicans won control of the Senate for the first time in twenty five years.

The one thing that can stave off defeat is John McCain has a great resume and Obama's color and his loopy friends like Reverend Wright, Father Pfleger, Bill Ayres and Tony Rezko might make him too risky a proposition.

I don't see how either side can be overconfident.

Power CUer
    I don't think for a minute that either side has it locked up. There's no such thing as "can't lose".

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I don't think for a minute that either side has it locked up. There's no such thing as "can't lose".

This is an interesting election...There are times when one knows in June who will win in November. Think 32, 36, 40, 44, 52, 56, 64, 76*, 80, 84,96...

This election reminds me of 1976. It was in the wake of Viet Nam and Watergate. Jimmy Carter should have won in a landslide. He blew a 33 point post convention lead and won by less than two percent. In fact if 30,000 votes in Hawaii and Ohio went the other way he would have lost the Electoral College. This election will most likely be like 76.

But can McCain pull off the upset or come close enough to disappoint.

I will vote for Obama but I can honestly say I would not feel bad if he lost.He brought it on himself with his messianic followers and his past associations

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by everyman68 View Post
    I will vote for Obama but I can honestly say I would not feel bad if he lost.He brought it on himself with his messianic followers and his past associations
    So why vote for him? What's the appeal, for you?

I certainly think it's possible McCain could lose.

Don’t think so. It could happen - but one heck of a lot of Republicans would have to stay home and not vote or get swept up in this ‘Revolution In The Air’ (ala Dylan) 1960’s flashback crap and vote for Obama. It think there’s a better chance that Obama self destructs and allows Hillary to stay on - in his champaign in some face saving capacity. Universal health care is her last rock to hold on to and that subject will be her party’s demise once the Republican bean counters get their calculators out and expose the tax realities.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

There's no such thing as "can't lose".
    pffft. You should see me at the track on Saturday. :D

Of course he can lose. It's an election. He'll have at least two votes though. Mine and his.
    Be Not Afraid.

Goldwater
    Look, Dukakis had like a 15 point lead over Bush when he came out of the convention, it's not over until one of them is in the oval office.

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Don’t think so. It could happen - but one heck of a lot of Republicans would have to stay home and not vote or get swept up in this ‘Revolution In The Air’ (ala Dylan) 1960’s flashback crap and vote for Obama. It think there’s a better chance that Obama self destructs and allows Hillary to stay on - in his champaign in some face saving capacity. Universal health care is her last rock to hold on to and that subject will be her party’s demise once the Republican bean counters get their calculators out and expose the tax realities.
    I don't see Obama tanking before the convention. The GOP strategists are too smart for that. They'll save the big stuff for the GE.

Obama does not really have the support of many traditionally liberal groups: working class ("uneducated whites," as Eyelids calls them), women, gays (who are still mad about his anti-gay preacher ties), and Hispanics (who will probably vote for McCain). At best, he will get lukewarm support from these groups, and if the GOP has any dirt (especially anti-white or criminal), those groups will not vote for him in the numbers he needs. Obama basically has well-heeled liberal males and college students and he make keep those, that is, if midterms occur before the first week in November and not during. :)

So why vote for him? What's the appeal, for you?

It's a fair question.I am socially liberal.Economically moderate.And on foreign policy I am a nationalist/realist.
    That makes me closer to Obama on two of the three big issues...

Plus I have African American friends who would literally lay down their life for me. I don't want to be the one to rain on their parade. I'm kind of sad because I see Obama as an clever opportunist who is an imperfect vessel for their wishes.

I respect McCain's service and would never attack him personally...I am concerned about his age and mental agility. I respect older people...Konrad Adenauer ran post war Germany at 87 but McCain seems old and the presidency is a hard job.

Also, I am in Florida. Obama is all wrong for this state. Democrats that do well here are centrist, defense minded Democrats. Liberal Democrats get smashed. Therefore there are little consequences to my vote.

If I was the ultimate decider I don't know what I would do.