Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 59 of 59
  1. #51  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,492
    Since people are so fascinated by this story (and the honor, defended or not, of GW Bush), I will add that after that one back and forth we settled into a very interesting conversation about life in Sweden. He was well to do (by appearance) and was not at all pleased at the high rate of taxation and the way the money was allocated and spent. I learned a lot from it. We also discussed opera quite a bit, since we were both fans.

    He wasn't completely reliable; when I told him my favorite tenor was Jussi Bjoerling, he told me Bjoerling was buried in the church across the street. I already knew Bjoerling was buried in the small town he came from, which is over 100 miles from Stockholm.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #52  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,970
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Since people are so fascinated by this story (and the honor, defended or not, of GW Bush), I will add that after that one back and forth we settled into a very interesting conversation about life in Sweden. He was well to do (by appearance) and was not at all pleased at the high rate of taxation and the way the money was allocated and spent. I learned a lot from it. We also discussed opera quite a bit, since we were both fans.

    He wasn't completely reliable; when I told him my favorite tenor was Jussi Bjoerling, he told me Bjoerling was buried in the church across the street. I already knew Bjoerling was buried in the small town he came from, which is over 100 miles from Stockholm.
    You still craw-fished out like a wimp cause you did not inform him of the wonderful attributes of the USA. Or maybe you do not think this country is so great.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #53  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,492
    When you are in a conversation, you can conduct it as YOU see fit. :) I'm not going to rehash yesterday's altercation; it was boring enough then.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #54  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    8,563
    Quote Originally Posted by CueSi View Post
    Um... Sonna... it's the Swedes. The Swiss are a totally different breed of creature.

    ~QC
    The difference is in the cheese:
    Swiss-----------------------------------------------------Cheese
    Swedish--------------------------------------------------Bikini parachute team.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #55  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,970
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    When you are in a conversation, you can conduct it as YOU see fit. :) I'm not going to rehash yesterday's altercation; it was boring enough then.
    True. Your expanded version of the incident was even more boring. You are one of those Rockefeller Republicans. Correct.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #56  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,492
    They used to be called that; also "country club Republicans", which my parents certainly were. The Episcopal Church used to be known as the "Republican Party at Prayer" before the fundies took it over. :p
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #57  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Florida. The Cuban Part.
    Posts
    3,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    I sit corrected.:)...but I still would have said it. What was done to former Pres. Bush was inexcusable, and I firmly believe that down the line, many will regret it bitterly. Some horrid precedents were set...and that will have repercussions over time.

    I'm not an American...but I will be DAMNED if I ever sat still for that kind of crap. The media and others got away with far too much, far too often.
    You're right to a degree... but I've learned that sometimes a verbal castration doesn't come in a testosterone fueled shout.

    Beating the Europeans at their own snottiness and sarcasm tends to be the best way. Especially while sipping a glass of wine or coffee. . .

    ~QC
    "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Rudyard Kipling - (1865-1936)

    Context doesn't matter to this liberal it seems/ as long as it satisfies his godless dreams/ like monkeys throwing sh!t as castles in air/ as long as he throws/that is the extent of his care.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #58  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,492
    Quote Originally Posted by CueSi View Post
    You're right to a degree... but I've learned that sometimes a verbal castration doesn't come in a testosterone fueled shout.

    Beating the Europeans at their own snottiness and sarcasm tends to be the best way. Especially while sipping a glass of wine or coffee. . .

    ~QC
    Especially since I don't suffer from testosterone poisoning. It was a glass of wine - and a lovely plate of smoked reindeer.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #59  
    Sonnabend
    Guest
    and a lovely plate of smoked reindeer.
    They must be a BITCH to get into a cigarette holder :D:D
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •