Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    LOL! Most Nordic countries don't have a particularly elevated view of the United States. You have to understand that Sweden (and the others) are very small countries with a very, very inflated view of social justice. Up until the past 20 years or so, no Scandinavian country had any experience at all with other cultures. This intellectual isolation allowed them to form views of other cultures that were never tested.

Of course, they're learning the hard way now. ;)
    I have read where Americans studying in Scandinavian countries have a difficult time dating the local girls. Many don't like Americans or their politics. That is a good enough reason for me to never go there. Looks like Americans don't hold patents on the ugliness of citizens in other countries around the world. I lived in Germany many years ago and that was not the case then.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    No. It happened in the cafe attached to the opera house, which is also a bar (hence my statement, "My husband and I were in a cafe at the opera in Stockholm") . You can eat dinner at the bar; that's the only kind of table there is in the place.
    An opera/cafe/bar sounds like a dump for snobs that like to insult Americans.

When someone is in any foreign country show some respect even if you don't feel that they deserve it. Taking the moral high ground is always the right thing to do. Any ways, who care what some foreigner thinks?

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    I have read where Americans studying in Scandinavian countries have a difficult time dating the local girls. Many don't like Americans or their politics. That is a good enough reason for me to never go there. Looks like Americans don't hold patents on the ugliness of citizens in other countries around the world. I lived in Germany many years ago and that was not the case then.
    That's probably more of a cultural thing. Americans seem loud and intrusive to Scandinavians. You have to understand that two Scandinavians can know each other for 10 years without actually disclosing personal information like first names, marital status, or number of offspring (if any).

Those Americans boys would get laid in a heartbeat if they bought the girl a drink, ignored her for an hour, and then demanded to know her taste in film directors or 19th century literature. :D

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    When someone is in any foreign country show some respect even if you don't feel that they deserve it. Taking the moral high ground is always the right thing to do. Any ways, who care what some foreigner thinks?
    Your opinion is noted. However, taking the low road (moral high ground as you call it) will not change hearts and minds if you wimp out. Therefore, respect has to be earned and is a two way street. That is my opinion whether I am in the USA or TBT.

Do you see anything wrong with telling this jerk at this opera/cafe/bar the attributes of the greatness of the USA. That's what's wrong with people, they are too damn afraid of offending someone. Screw that.
    Last edited by lacarnut; 03-10-2010 at 03:28 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Those Americans boys would get laid in a heartbeat if they bought the girl a drink, ignored her for an hour, and then demanded to know her taste in film directors or 19th century literature. :D
    Dang, I wish I would have known about that 30 years ago:p

Your opinion is noted. However, taking the low road (moral high ground as you call it) will not change hearts and minds if you wimp out. Therefore, respect has to be earned and is a two way street. That is my opinion whether I am in the USA or TBT.

Do you see anything wrong with telling this jerk at this opera/cafe/bar the attributes of the greatness of the USA. That's what's wrong with people, they are too damn afraid of offending someone. Screw that.
    Who goes over seas to change hearts and minds? I go to see the Eiffel Tower and the historic landmarks of Europe. I leave the hearts and minds stuff up to the people who are much more capable of that than I am... the Hare Krishna's

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Who goes over seas to change hearts and minds? I go to see the Eiffel Tower and the historic landmarks of Europe. I leave the hearts and minds stuff up to the people who are much more capable of that than I am... the Hare Krishna's
    Good for you. However, I see you ignored my question which was "do you have problem telling foreigners about the attributes of the greatness of the USA" .

I suspect there are a lot of dogs out there that are deeply offended by that cartoon.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Good for you. However, I see you ignored my question which was "do you have problem telling foreigners about the attributes of the greatness of the USA" .
    Not if they ask.

C. S. Lewis