1. #1 How Government Wastes Money 
    I don't know if this belongs here or in General Discussion but I'm posting this here anyway because it's about government waste. I'm sure you all got this but I got something in the mail that was interesting and it magnifies government waste. We all know the census is coming up. Well, the other day I get a letter from the gubment with the word "Census" on it so I figure this could be information on how to do this on line(it was easy to see that there was only 1 small letter inside). Well, I was wrong. It was a letter from the gubment telling me that I should be getting my Census packet in the mail in a week or so. Wow. So the government sends out over a hundred million of these just to let people know that their census packet is on the way. Do the math for a minute. Just rounding it to 100,000,000 then multiplying it by 25 cents(post card postage) would mean it cost $25,000,000 just to let people know that the real census pack is coming. Am I the only one who thinks that this is an incredible waste of money?
    Last edited by NJCardFan; 03-10-2010 at 12:07 PM.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

I got the same stupid letter... Thanks for the heads up, gubment...
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

Some one else did the math too! Its closer to 42 million!!! Wonder where they got that money!?

Stolen from us and wasted by them!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

It just goes to show that they really don't care what we think.. You know that they knew there would be this question asked, and they really just don't give a shit if we think they're being wasteful..
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    More from the Department of Redundancy Department

The United States Census Bureau sent out 120 million letters to tell us that the Census will arrive next week. The I-Team's Leisa Zigman checked into the cost of mailing those letters and asks why the government feels the expense was necessary.

Government representatives explained in order to reach more than a hundred million households, the cost of postage and printing for the preliminary letters saves money because it results in a greater return of the questionnaires. That means hourly Census workers don't have to visit as many homes.

Shelia Jones wasn't impressed with that answer.

"I was disappointed and I was wondering why they were sending out this mailing when it wasn't the actual census form?" she said.

At Miso Restaurant in Clayton, Brad Beracha asked, "$85 million for this piece of paper? That is absurd. Why do we need notification the census is coming?"

A Census spokesperson Sydnee Chattin-Reynolds explained, "We have extensive research that shows additional mailings alerting households to the arrival of the census form increase response rates by about six to 12 percentage points. And, every one percent increase saves the taxpayers about $85,000,000 in expensive door-to-door follow up."

"It costs 42 cents to mail back a form. If you compare that to the cost of $57 for someone to go door-to-door, 42 cents versus $57 is a huge savings."

Experts at Conservatree, a nonprofit recycling organization, analyzed the paper reams and calculated the number of trees used to reach 120,000,000 people. Conservatree experts estimate it took 23,906 trees to produce this advance mailing.

While the advance letter costs $85,000,000 no one at the bureau could answer how much it will cost to produce and mail out the actual census. They promised to get back to us.

The entire project is budgeted at $6.7 billion.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

And Obama said that he was going to be the Green president. Pshaw.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post

A Census spokesperson Sydnee Chattin-Reynolds explained, "We have extensive research that shows additional mailings alerting households to the arrival of the census form increase response rates by about six to 12 percentage points. And, every one percent increase saves the taxpayers about $85,000,000 in expensive door-to-door follow up."
    Wonder what THAT costed!!!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    Wonder what THAT costed!!!
    I got one of those stupid mailings yesterday. Bureaucrats must stay up nights to find more ways of pissing money away.

I got the same letter today and immediately thought the same thing.