1. #1 Tom Hanks: US Wanted to Annihilate the Japanese Because They Were ”Different” 
    Tom Hanks: US Wanted to Annihilate the Japanese Because They Were ”Different”2010
    March 10
    tags: Hollywood, News, NewsRealblog, Politics, Tom Hanksby Michael van der Galien

Although I am used to Hollywood stars making the most outrageous, anti-American and downright stupid statements, I’ve got to admit that I was taken aback by this post over at Hot Air, nonetheless. Its subject: Tom Hanks said recently that America wanted to ”annihilate the Japanese because they were different.” Yes, seriously:

He is pleased that The Pacific has fulfilled an obligation to our World War II vets. He doesn’t see the series as simply eye-opening history. He hopes it offers Americans a chance to ponder the sacrifices of our current soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan. “From the outset, we wanted to make people wonder how our troops can re-enter society in the first place,” Hanks says. “How could they just pick up their lives and get on with the rest of us? Back in World War II, we viewed the Japanese as ‘yellow, slant-eyed dogs’ that believed in different gods. They were out to kill us because our way of living was different. We, in turn, wanted to annihilate them because they were different. Does that sound familiar, by any chance, to what’s going on today?”
    As John Nolte explains at Big Hollywood, “no matter how many times you read this passage the context is clear. By ‘different’ Hanks is clearly referring to race, culture and religion, not ideology.”
    Words fail.

Newsreal Blog

Power CUer
    I thought he was actually a little less moonbatty than the others. Guess not. Anyone who has read "The Ghost Soldiers" knows better, and knows what we were up against.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

When ever I start to take Tom Hanks too seriously I recall Bachelor Party and Bossum Buddies, that kind of puts things in to perspective.
    Last edited by FlaGator; 03-10-2010 at 02:54 PM.
    Cast your burden on the Lord,
    and he will sustain you;
    he will never permit
    the righteous to be moved.
    Psalm 55:22

They started it. The Enola Gay ended it.
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

They were out to kill us because our way of living was different. We, in turn, wanted to annihilate them because they were different. Does that sound familiar, by any chance, to what’s going on today?”
    Yeah....it does sound very familiar to what's going on today:
    A sneak attack out of the blue on Pearl Harbor by one,
    a sneak attack out of the blue on the WTC by the other.

Tom Hanks' wife is a looney tunes liberal.
    I guess she's rubbed off on him.

I'd argue it was the opposite. The US wanted to describe the Japanese as "different" because they wanted to annihilate them (although this term is a bit too loose, still though, the detention of Japanese Americans and of course The Bombs still remain an awful stain on our history, despite the complixities of the situations at thetime)

Quote Originally Posted by Space Gravy View Post
    They started it. The Enola Gay ended it.
    Technically, the Bock's Car ended it with the second atomic bomb drop, but I'm just being an a-hole for pointing that out. :D