Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast
    PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    The Pacific is excellent. Part 1 was a real ride. I advise anyone who has HBO to tune in, they show reruns often and Part 2 airs tonight.

If you don't have HBO visit a friend who does :) (my place is welcome to other Texans)
    Is it available for download anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Is it available for download anywhere?
    actually I think episode 1 is available for free from the HBO site:

http://www.hbo.com/the-pacific/index...l-episode.html
    Last edited by Wei Wu Wei; 03-20-2010 at 03:01 PM.

PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    actually I think episode 1 is available for free from the HBO site:

http://www.hbo.com/the-pacific/index...l-episode.html
    Thank you.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    That sounds really nice until you actually analyze your statement. If you don't count the millions killed in the Holocaust (or the Armenian Genocide, or the various cities destroyed by invading armies, including Baghdad by the Mongols, Carthage by Rome, or Constantinople by the Turks), you're still way off (and as regards the genocides, I would say that ongoing, deliberate slaughter of civilians beats a single bombing). For that matter, the Japanese rape of Nanking resulted in more civilian deaths, and did so in a much more deliberate and sadistic manner (including the rapes of between 40,000 and 80,000 women).

Then, there's your assumption that we targeted civilians exclusively. Hiroshima was hardly a civilian target. It housed the headquarters of the Japanese Fifth Division and Field Marshal Shunroku Hata's 2nd General Army Headquarters, which commanded the defense of all of southern Japan and served as a supply and logistics base, as well as a communications center, a storage point, and an assembly area for troops. In short, it was a military target first.

I don't recall anyone paving it over. If anything, we've flagellated ourselves over it for decades, while the Japanese have gone to great lengths to avoid admitting responsibility for their actions in the war, to include the mass enslavement of "comfort women," the deliberate mass murder of civilians (see Nanking, for one example), the systematic murder of POWs, etc. If anything demonstrates a clear-cut distinction between good guys and bad guys, it's that the good guys spent the decades after the war rebuilding their enemies' homelands and beating ourselves up over winning. Bad guys tend not to care what happens to their enemies.

Winning a war means defeating your opponent's will to fight. We may never eliminate every jihadi, but we can certainly make it unpleasant for the nations that support them with arms, funding and sanctuaries. If we destroy the infrastructure that supports them, as well as discrediting them in the eyes of the Muslim world, then we will not have to maintain a perpetual war footing.

So, this war is not like, say, the Moro insurrection, in which we fought and defeated Islamic tribes in the Philippines (who, BTW, considered themselves jihadis) or the Barbary Pirate War? Perhaps you mean that it's not like the Cold War, in which our main enemy used proxies to engage us in order to avoid our direct retaliation, the way that Iran uses Hamas and Hezbollah? Or perhaps you mean that it's not like the Indian Wars, which, regardless of the morality of them, were fought against tribal leaders who used hit and run tactics and ultimately were driven from the field and forced to accept terms that have kept them from reengaging for the better part of two centuries?

And, of course, that doesn't take into account all of the other similar conflicts which other nations have fought, and won, against similar groups. We have every means of winning this war, except one. If we lose the will to fight, then we are defeated before we start. In that regard, you need to decide whose side you're on.

Save your finders typing to Wei_Wei and his little code kiddies.Tell them to read a history book about WW II and pay attention to the part about the Japanese sneak attack of Pearl Harbor .

Tell them of the estimate of the number of American dead if we invaded the Japanese Mainland but that wont penetrate their thick kiddie Liberal skulls.Harry Truman made the decision to use the Atomic bombs and end the war.Great man that Harry Truman !!

And while they're 'about it' have them look at those old black and whites of American troops 'island hopping' across the Pacific taking Island after Island with young men, most under twenty years old, fighting and dying for their country.

Makes me feel ashamed for most of this current crop of young American men who hate their own country.

Tell them of the estimate of the number of American dead if we invaded the Japanese Mainland but that wont penetrate their thick kiddie Liberal skulls.Harry Truman made the decision to use the Atomic bombs and end the war.Great man that Harry Truman !!
    Tell them of the estimated Japanese civillian deaths if we were to invade the home islands. The atomic bombs saved Japanese lives.

The Pacific is excellent. Part 1 was a real ride. I advise anyone who has HBO to tune in, they show reruns often and Part 2 airs tonight.

If you don't have HBO visit a friend who does :) (my place is welcome to other Texans)
    Since Hanks (and you) equate our war in the Pacific with racism, rather than national defense, I'll hold out for a more reliable source before I commit to watching.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Sonnabend
    And just WHERE have you been hiding, Major? :D

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Since Hanks (and you) equate our war in the Pacific with racism, rather than national defense, I'll hold out for a more reliable source before I commit to watching.
    Well, when you come right down to it, and if you could turn back the clock and walk among the population of America in November, 1941, no one would know what you mean when you use the term "racist". It was not in popular usage, and if fact appears in text for the first time in 1936.

http://www.sovereignty.org.uk/sitein...d/oracism.html

That doesn't mean that Americans were not racist, of course, but it does indicate that there was no shortcut to making them understand their own racist motives. Name calling has come a long way, it seems....:)

The 1941 Americans were racist by any standards. The question to me is: was our fury with Japan really fueled only by the bombing of Pearl Harbor? Or did our foes' obvious differences contribute to their near annihilation?
    Attributing the war in the Pacific totally to racism is a little silly, but so is denying that the Japanese were not disliked before the war.

Sonnabend
    Originally Posted by TruckerMe
    Also, I was fortunate enough to be assigned to a Filipino ship while I was in the Navy and I am aware of their feeling toward the Japanese and what happened in The Philippines. I heard it firsthand from those who were children in 1942.

Be careful who you attempt to lecture about WWII history. You may be in over your head.
    Again.

What was the name and registry of that ship? When were you there? Who was its Captain? What other ships did you serve in?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    And just WHERE have you been hiding, Major? :D
    Been up to my ears at work. We just got a brigade combat team out the door and we're ramping up to transform to a new TDA. And, frankly, I got tired of Gator's idiocy. But. once in a while, somebody lays on a juicy target and I just can't resist.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!