Thread: Assemblyman seeking to ban all salt in restaurant cooking

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Assemblyman seeking to ban all salt in restaurant cooking 
    Assemblyman seeking to ban all salt in restaurant cooking

March 10, 2010 at 11:59 am by Steve Barnes, senior writer
    A new bill in the state Assembly would ruin restaurant food and baked goods as we know them.

In a deeply misguided gesture that is also an abuse of the legislative process, a New York City Assemblyman is pushing a nanny-state bill that would ban the use of all forms of salt in the preparation and cooking of all restaurant food.

If passed, the measure, introduced Friday by Felix Ortiz, D-Brooklyn, would result in fines of up to $1,000 for each individual addition of salt by restaurant staff, whether before, during or after cooking. Customers would have the option of adding salt when the food is served.

Ortiz admits that prior to introducing the bill he did not research salt’s role in food chemistry, effect on flavor or his bill’s ramifications for the restaurant industry. He tells me he was prompted to introduce the bill because his father used salt excessively for many years, developed high blood pressure and had a heart attack.

“I think salt should be banned in restaurants. I ask if a dish has salt in it, and if I does, I get something else that doesn’t have salt,” Ortiz tells me, before going on to say that he has and expects he will continue to eat, other other things, ham, cheese and bread in restaurants, all of which contain salt.
    This could only be stupidier if he was also calling for a ban on blue decor in restaurants because it makes him feel sad. :mad:

Times union

Banned
    He would get strung up in Louisiana with that stupidity. Makes me hungry for crawdads or boiled shrimp.

Power CUer
    He's obviously never prepared a meal in his life, but his mama should smack him with a wooden spoon.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Banned
    Jeez! I don't know what the fuck I am talking about but I am going to put up a bill.

He could always open his own restaurant that features no salt menu items!

There's a restaurant in Warren near my church that advertises healthy food, they do pretty well. It's not a vegetarian place, although they have vegetarian items, low-salt items, low-fat items, and so on. It's owned by a retired doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    He could always open his own restaurant that features no salt menu items!
    We already have that. We call it 'The Arctic'.
    Last edited by Gingersnap; 03-10-2010 at 05:24 PM.

It's time, set up the guillotine, lop a few heads off and mount them on stakes to warn the other politicians and bureaucrats. just five or six of them would be sufficient!

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    It's time, set up the guillotine, lop a few heads off and mount them on stakes to warn the other politicians and bureaucrats. just five or six of them would be sufficient!
    Be careful, Big Sister is reading our script !

9. #9 Take Action. Sign the Petition. 
    Sign the petition today to protect your right to make your own food choices.

MyFoodMyChoice.org

Quote Originally Posted by MyFoodMyChoice View Post
    Sign the petition today to protect your right to make your own food choices.

MyFoodMyChoice.org
    Most of us don't live in NYC. :D