Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Hard Times Turn Coupon Clipping Into the Newest Extreme Sport 
    Hard Times Turn Coupon Clipping Into the Newest Extreme Sport
    Penny Pinchers Deal for Discounts; Mr. Engels's 6-Foot Tower of Jell-O

Article By TIMOTHY W. MARTIN

Under a futon in her Charleston, S.C., apartment, Stacy Smith has stashed boxes of soy bars, bags of potato chips, bottles of vitamin water, canned vegetables, soup, barbecue sauce and antibacterial wipes. Her bedroom closet is jammed with soda and shampoo, her bookcase with garlic salt and meat marinades.

No, Ms. Smith isn't stocking up for a hurricane. The 39-year-old's apartment is stuffed with groceries because she's one of a growing flock of "extreme couponers."

These discount devotees have formed vast online communities that collectively unearth and swap digital, mobile-phone and paper coupons. The cleverest shoppers combine dozens of coupons and go from store to store buying items in quantity, getting stuff free of charge.

"If you can get 100 packs of toilet paper for free, you're going to," says Erin Libranda, 38. When the resident of Katy, Texas, has amassed enough coupons to buy many months' supply of eggs, she puts tiny cracks in them, adds lemon juice and freezes them.

Jill Lansky, 34, of Kalamazoo, Mich., likes to amuse friends by opening a cupboard to reveal 150 bottles of Powerade she bought for 25 cents each, thanks to coupons she collected on CouponForum.com.

Jody Wilson, 33, got turned onto the couponing Web site AFullCup.com last March. Since then, she's posted nearly 9,500 messages to the site's forum. "I became extremely addicted," says the credit analyst from Battle Creek, Mich. "There's deal after deal after deal."

Couponers trade deal information and coupons themselves through cellphones, Twitter, Facebook, and message boards on Web sites like Slickdeals.net and TheKrazyCouponLady.com, motivated as much by competitiveness as by frugality.

Some sites, which tend to make their money from online ads, organize contests to see which member can spend the least cash in a month on essentials. Some couponers brag online about stockpiling free groceries, then selling them at yard sales.

Proud shoppers post photos of themselves posing with their latest hauls. Nathan Engels of Villa Hills, Ky., can't resist loading up on free products. Mr. Engels recently erected a 6-foot-tall tower featuring the 1,142 packages of Jell-O he had got for nothing. He brags about his jam-packed freezer holding 30 pounds of meat, 50 pounds of cheese and 200 bags of vegetables.

"I'm going to buy as much as I can—I don't care if it's a year's or two-year's supply," says Mr. Engels, 28, who is married and has a young daughter.
    Coupons are for people who eat out of cans. :p

WSJ

Banned
    My penance for driving the family car when I was a teenager was taking my mom grocery shopping. My dad forced me. I did not mind the 10 or 15 coupons she had but back in those days the checker would take the time to make sure the coupons had not expired and were for the right product. Today the checkers don't even check expiration dates. We would also go to more than one store if another one had a bargain or double coupons at another store. After those experiences, coupon clippings kinda turned me against that practice.

Hey, don't diss coupons. SR and I went to a kitchen and granite place tonight. They had a coupon with a price quoted. Naturally they didn't have the lower priced granite available. I made a couple remarks about my earlier conversation with the Better Business Bureau and surprise, surprise, they agreed to honor the price. That lil ole coupon saved us about $1,000, minimum. :D

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Hey, don't diss coupons. SR and I went to a kitchen and granite place tonight. They had a coupon with a price quoted. Naturally they didn't have the lower priced granite available. I made a couple remarks about my earlier conversation with the Better Business Bureau and surprise, surprise, they agreed to honor the price. That lil ole coupon saved us about $1,000, minimum. :D
    That kind can work (I've done it myself). Coupons on Doritos or premade mashed potatoes or cans of beans?

Not so much. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    That kind can work (I've done it myself). Coupons on Doritos or premade mashed potatoes or cans of beans?

Not so much. :D
    You don't make your own mashed potato's? Oh my.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I make my own mashed taters---and also French fries. SR always complains that I buy a 5 pound bag of potatoes and they start sprouting. Soooo, thrifty person that I am, I have to use up all those excess potatoes. :D

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    I make my own mashed taters---and also French fries. SR always complains that I buy a 5 pound bag of potatoes and they start sprouting. Soooo, thrifty person that I am, I have to use up all those excess potatoes. :D
    Ginger uses canned beans too!:eek:

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Are you insane? About the only things in tubes or cans in my house involve condiments. However, if people eat fake spuds, canned beans, or whatever then they might be sucked into coupons even if the real thing is a lot cheaper.

I hate you - you made me look. :mad:

:D

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    My penance for driving the family car when I was a teenager was taking my mom grocery shopping. My dad forced me. I did not mind the 10 or 15 coupons she had but back in those days the checker would take the time to make sure the coupons had not expired and were for the right product. Today the checkers don't even check expiration dates. We would also go to more than one store if another one had a bargain or double coupons at another store. After those experiences, coupon clippings kinda turned me against that practice.
    They don't have to check - the computer checks. That's what them little strips on the coupon are for. :p
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Are you insane? About the only things in tubes or cans in my house involve condiments. However, if people eat fake spuds, canned beans, or whatever then they might be sucked into coupons even if the real thing is a lot cheaper.

I hate you - you made me look. :mad:

:D
    Instant mashed potato flakes make great breading for fish. . . . just say'n . . . .
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.