Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Next president of the USA? 
    Could it be John Thune? I think we might be onto something with him.

John Thune for President?
    By BILL DUPRAY

Thune

Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.) is not on a lot of people’s lists of presidential contenders. His name doesn’t show up in many straw polls of the GOP faithful. But that doesn’t mean he won’t be the guy who takes down Obama (or Hillary) in 2012.

Back in our November 13, 2009 podcast I made the bold prediction that John Thune would be the next president of the United States. You can hear it, along with Clyde Middleton’s and my discussion in the podcast starting at about the 28:38 minute mark.

David Brooks at the New York Times thinks there may be big things in Thune’s future. And over at CQ Politics, they are thinking along the same lines.

While most of the 2012 GOP presidential buzz is focused on a group of former and soon-to-be former governors, Sen. John Thune is increasingly being viewed as the Capitol’s most likely White House contender.

The telegenic first-term senator’s national profile is no doubt on the rise — as evidenced by the South Carolina Republican’s increased leadership role this Congress and extensive fundraising for his non-competitive re-election race next year. . . .

When asked about any presidential aspirations, Thune said he was only focused on his re-election campaign — even though he has not attracted a single Democratic opponent so far. But he has undoubtedly been more vocal and visible in recent weeks, appearing with some regularity on cable news shows and playing a key role in presenting the GOP response to Democrats’ health care legislation through his role as Republican Policy Committee chairman.

Indeed, Sen. Thune has been very visible. We interviewed him yesterday in a blogger conference call (and yes, he was asked if he is running for president) to talk about the health care bill in the Senate. Audio of the call is here. It runs just under 29 minutes.

We also interviewed him back on October 21, 2009 (audio at the link) when he laid out what he thought would be Reid’s strategy to get the ObamaCare bill through the Senate. He predicted that the public option would not survive, and as we learned last night, he was proven correct.

Now it can’t hurt any presidential aspirations he may be harboring to keep conservative bloggers in the loop, but as you listen to him speak, he’s also very different from the 2008 GOP aspirants like Huckabee, Romney, and even Palin. He is a new face to most of the public and his common sense conservatism and disarming congeniality may very well make him a good bet to win the White House.
    The government cannot give anything to anyone that they did not first take from someone else.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    umm....a Thune/Ryan Ticket would be sweet!

Banned
    Maybe a Palin/Thune ticket. The next Repub Prez need to be someone who will crack the whip on spending/taxes, etc. in order to turn this country around. A go along to get along President will not get the job done. I don't know anything about Thune but if he does not have a pair of BIG BALLS I am not interested. Plus, if he can not challenge Obama face to face and call a spade a spade, he can not cut the mustard.

oh yeah he's got some balls, he took on and defeated Tom Daschle when he was Minority Leader, at a time he was fairly popular too in SD if irc. He's been very outspoken against a lot of Obassiah's policies and even against all of the bailouts from Bush on. American Conservative Union gave hime a 100 rating a life time of 87%. Paul Ryan has Higher life time but not by much...like 5 points and also has a 100 rating. TEA Party loves him too and he's been a supporter of theirs since the begning

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    umm....a Thune/Ryan Ticket would be sweet!
    Ryan/Thune. Ryan is one smart dude.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

I don't know as much about Thune as I should, but I'd vote for sack of onions over Obama.

Quote Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post
    I don't know as much about Thune as I should, but I'd vote for sack of onions over Obama.
    Vidalias or Texas 1015's.

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostThere View Post
    Ryan/Thune. Ryan is one smart dude.
    yeah, i just got the new Imprimis yesterday, and Ryan is the author for the month. all about Health Care. He's getting his name out there on a National Level. I think he's going to push for higher office soon. either Leadership in the House or POTUS/VPOTUS though I would think going for VP would be better then go Pres. but we'll see.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    oh yeah he's got some balls, he took on and defeated Tom Daschle when he was Minority Leader, at a time he was fairly popular too in SD if irc. He's been very outspoken against a lot of Obassiah's policies and even against all of the bailouts from Bush on. American Conservative Union gave hime a 100 rating a life time of 87%. Paul Ryan has Higher life time but not by much...like 5 points and also has a 100 rating. TEA Party loves him too and he's been a supporter of theirs since the begning
    He sounds good but can he take on Obummer on the campaign trail and in the debates. I know Sarah Barracuda can. I don't want a damn RINO like Romney. His signing of the MA health care bill is a deal breaker.

I'm not sure, with out seeing it. But I would say yes. (remember any time the media says a debate is a tie, the Republicans won). Mabye a Palin/Thune Ticket would make more sense than Thune/Ryan at this point. but the sharks are already in the water waiting to go after Palin. She doesn't seem to be really angeling at a POTUS run, but it is 2 years away...We'll see around December who's going to start their campains