Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Miss. prom canceled after lesbian's date request 
    Miss. prom canceled after lesbian's date request

By Chris Joyner, USA TODAY

JACKSON, Miss. A Mississippi county school board announced Wednesday it would cancel its upcoming prom after a gay student petitioned to bring a same-sex date to the event.
    "Due to the distractions to the educational process caused by recent events, the Itawamba County School District has decided to not host a prom at Itawamba Agricultural High School this year," school board members said in a statement.

Constance McMillen, an 18-year-old senior at Itawamba, recently challenged a school policy prohibiting her from bringing her girlfriend as her date to the April 2 prom. McMillen, who is a lesbian, and the Mississippi chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union urged school officials to reverse the policy both on McMillen's choice of date and attire. She also wanted to wear a tuxedo to the dance.

ACLU attorney Christine Sun said her organization receives requests for help every year from students facing anti-gay prom policies. The complaints are especially prevalent in the South where attitudes toward sexuality are more conservative, she said.

In the announcement, the school board encouraged the community to organize a private prom. "It is our hope that private citizens will organize an event for the juniors and seniors. "We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this causes anyone," the statement concluded. School officials did not respond to calls seeking comment.

The announcement alarmed McMillen.

"Oh, my God. That's really messed up because the message they are sending is that if they have to let gay people go to prom that they are not going to have one," she said. "A bunch of kids at school are really going to hate me for this."
    LOL! That's the funniest thing I've read in a week! :D

USA Today

Power CUer
    "Itawamba Agricultural High School" in Mississippi? What do they graduate, sharecroppers?
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Power CUer
    "The complaints are especially prevalent in the South where attitudes toward sexuality are more conservative".

I guess this means the old fashioned, traditional blowjob in the back seat of the limo on prom night. :p
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

"The complaints are especially prevalent in the South where people believe what they believe and don't really give a shit if others like it or not.".
    fixed
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

"Oh, my God. That's really messed up because the message they are sending is that if they have to let gay people go to prom that they are not going to have one," she said. "A bunch of kids at school are really going to hate me for this."
    It's sad that she has to go through all this, but she should have realized that if you plan on standing up for what you preceive as your rights then you had better get use to some people hating you.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    "The complaints are especially prevalent in the South where attitudes toward sexuality are more conservative".

I guess this means the old fashioned, traditional blowjob in the back seat of the limo on prom night. :p

I didn't go to my prom, because I wasn't dating anyone my senior year, but from what my friends told me, the old fashioned traditional blowjob was replaced with old fashioned coitus, and it occurred at the beach, not in the car.

Prom-the reason they make maternity clothes in junior sizes!

Given all of the problems that are now associated with proms, there's probably no good reason for schools to host them. Aside from the drunken sex, drunken driving, and drunken fighting, you now also have the problem of the price tag. Proms aren't just a fancy dress dance now. They are stages for absolutely ridiculous conspicuous consumption.

Schools should be funded by the parents of the children and the parents should then be allowed to vote on the policies of the individual schools.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Schools should be funded by the parents of the children and the parents should then be allowed to vote on the policies of the individual schools.
    As a non-parent, I say amen and amen. Instead, parents not only want the taxpayer funded public schools, but taxpayer funded vouchers in case they don't like the schools.

Banned
    The announcement alarmed McMillen.

About time the little dyke learned the difference between TOLERANCE and ACCEPTANCE. That is what gets me about these queer as a football bat people. They do not care to be tolerated. If you just don't care if they are gay or not is not enough. They want everyone praising and cheering the fact that they are gay.