1. #1 French bread spiked with LSD in CIA experiment 
    In 1951, a quiet, picturesque village in southern France was suddenly and mysteriously struck down with mass insanity and hallucinations. At least five people died, dozens were interned in asylums and hundreds afflicted.

For decades it was assumed that the local bread had been unwittingly poisoned with a psychedelic mould. Now, however, an American investigative journalist has uncovered evidence suggesting the CIA peppered local food with the hallucinogenic drug LSD as part of a mind control experiment at the height of the Cold War.

The mystery of Le Pain Maudit (Cursed Bread) still haunts the inhabitants of Pont-Saint-Esprit, in the Gard, southeast France.

On August 16, 1951, the inhabitants were suddenly racked with frightful hallucinations of terrifying beasts and fire.

One man tried to drown himself, screaming that his belly was being eaten by snakes. An 11-year-old tried to strangle his grandmother. Another man shouted: "I am a plane", before jumping out of a second-floor window, breaking his legs. He then got up and carried on for 50 yards. Another saw his heart escaping through his feet and begged a doctor to put it back. Many were taken to the local asylum in strait jackets.

Time magazine wrote at the time: "Among the stricken, delirium rose: patients thrashed wildly on their beds, screaming that red flowers were blossoming from their bodies, that their heads had turned to molten lead." ...
    link

Wow. I've heard of CIA using LSD in experiments with soldiers, volunteers, and prisoners, but not with unknowing civilians.

If it did actually happen, I'd bet that the French government knew about it.

Quote Originally Posted by bijou View Post
    Actually when grain develops the ergot fungus (which is poisionous by itself) it's possible that eating it can cause strong hallucinations (albeit far more dangerous and toxic than actual LSD, which is derived from ergot). There are various reactions to consuming ergot but it's never really good.

Basically, it's really more likely that their stuff just went bad.

HOWEVER, it is true that the CIA did give LSD to American citizens without their consent to experiment with the drug as a potential mind-control weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Wow. I've heard of CIA using LSD in experiments with soldiers, volunteers, and prisoners, but not with unknowing civilians.

If it did actually happen, I'd bet that the French government knew about it.
    Unknown American Citizens, it's very well documented.

On the Senate floor in 1977, Senator Ted Kennedy said:

The Deputy Director of the CIA revealed that over thirty universities and institutions were involved in an "extensive testing and experimentation" program which included covert drug tests on unwitting citizens "at all social levels, high and low, native Americans and foreign." Several of these tests involved the administration of LSD to "unwitting subjects in social situations." At least one death, that of Dr. Olson, resulted from these activities. The Agency itself acknowledged that these tests made little scientific sense. The agents doing the monitoring were not qualified scientific observers.[7]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_MKULTRA

Although LSD is one of the least toxic substances (per dose) known to man (it would take over 600 doses of LSD to be physically harmful), and has no long term physical effects, when the CIA discovered that it couldn't be used as a weapon and instead was popular for it's mind-expanding properties amongst the counter-culture (anti-war, hippies and people accused of being seeecreettttt communists) the drug was made absolutely illegal (schedule 1)

the war on drugs is total bs

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    Although LSD is one of the least toxic substances (per dose) known to man (it would take over 600 doses of LSD to be physically harmful), and has no long term physical effects, when the CIA discovered that it couldn't be used as a weapon and instead was popular for it's mind-expanding properties amongst the counter-culture (anti-war, hippies and people accused of being seeecreettttt communists) the drug was made absolutely illegal (schedule 1)

the war on drugs is total bs

Of course, the operative phrase is "physically harmful". Psychologically and psychiatrically, LSD can do a lot of damage to people. I've worked with clients who had long-term mental health problems from taking too much LSD, or taking it under bad circumstances.

Bad trips aren't fun, either, even if you do get through it to the other side. I don't think it's something people should be able to walk into Walgreens and buy.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Of course, the operative phrase is "physically harmful". Psychologically and psychiatrically, LSD can do a lot of damage to people. I've worked with clients who had long-term mental health problems from taking too much LSD, or taking it under bad circumstances.
    People who have long term psychological problems from LSD almost always had latent psychological problems that the LSD experience simply exacerbated.

With every drug there are some people who simply shouldn't use it. Still, the vast majority of people who use LSD do so with no lasting problems at all.

Bad trips aren't fun, either, even if you do get through it to the other side. I don't think it's something people should be able to walk into Walgreens and buy.
    Terrifying yes, but I disagree with prohibition of it, as I would expect most small-government conservatives would too.

The "problem" with LSD is that it can change consciousness in such a way as to call into question the standard consumerist ideology of our society. This potentially threatens the ruling class, so it's made illegal. An example is the 60's counter-culture.