1. #1 Development of More Muscular Trout Could Boost Commercial Aquaculture 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    A 10-year effort by a University of Rhode Island scientist to develop transgenic rainbow trout with enhanced muscle growth has yielded fish with what have been described as six-pack abs and muscular shoulders that could provide a boost to the commercial aquaculture industry.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0310113540.htm

The clip showing these fish is amazing and kind of alarming. These suckers are big.

I have to say that I'd think a bit before eating one.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    The clip showing these fish is amazing and kind of alarming. These suckers are big.

If they were released into the trout streams they would 'own' them in short order.

They will have to reproduce them artificially, those fish will never get a date!

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    If they were released into the trout streams they would 'own' them in short order.
    It's an interesting question. Rainbows are all over Colorado but they aren't native. People out here are becoming less thrilled with them in blue ribbon waters. These engineered fish don't look as though they could survive well in the wild - they are just too big for most cold, fast running waters. They'd just eat out the available bugs.

I assume they're thinking of these kinds of fish for aquaculture - not a release in the wild.

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    It's an interesting question. Rainbows are all over Colorado but they aren't native. People out here are becoming less thrilled with them in blue ribbon waters. These engineered fish don't look as though they could survive well in the wild - they are just too big for most cold, fast running waters. They'd just eat out the available bugs.

I assume they're thinking of these kinds of fish for aquaculture - not a release in the wild.

That is what happened with the Asian Carp - but floods in the Mississippi river valley freed them and now threaten the Great Lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Constitutionally Speaking View Post
    That is what happened with the Asian Carp - but floods in the Mississippi river valley freed them and now threaten the Great Lakes.
    They'll probably introduce some new predator species for those. Thats how we got Salmon in the lakes.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

They will give the rainbows in the Columbia River a run for their money .Those things are bigger than the steelhead rainbows at the mouth of the Columbia !