Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. #1 Paging LibraryLady 
    DUmmy is a teacher and wants her 7th grade kids to send praises to Obama! What she is saying to these kids is that their greatness will be defined by Obama becoming the nominee and/or the president.

seems a little preechy for a public magnet school

http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=132x6265759

Finnfan (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-04-08 07:45 AM
    Original message
    Text of the speech I will be making to my 7th-grade students today.
    DU, I can't tell you how proud I am to be a teacher today. On my classroom white board, I have the statement "CONGRATULATIONS BARACK OBAMA ON BECOMING THE 1ST NON-WHITE MAJOR PARTY PRESIDENTIAL NOMINEE!" I'm going to let my students, if they choose to, write messages to Obama on the board, and I hope to post pictures later. My student are mostly from the city of Hartford, and the majority are black or hispanic. I'm delivering the following speech to all of my classes today, in the hopes that it will inspire tham. Please let me know what you think.

____

Ladies and gentleman, I wanted to take a few minutes out of our normal class time to talk about something that happened last night; something historic. Does anyone know what I might be referring to? (wait for responses). Yes, Barack Obama has become the first African-American, the first non-white male, to secure from a major party the nomination for president. His major competition for the nomination, Hillary Clinton, was also not a white male, but a woman, and had Obama faltered, Clinton would have been the first female to secure a major-party presidential nomination.

I want to impress upon you just how much of a step forward this is. Despite all of the progress on civil rights that we’ve made in this country, I never thought that I’d live to see this day. I thought that the racism in our society was still too powerful. I did not think that “white America” could accept having a black man (or a woman) as our leader. Last night I was proven wrong. I am very proud of my country today.

I want to stress that I am not saying that you must support Barack Obama’s campaign for president (or encourage your family to do so). Martin Luther King Jr.’s dream was to have a nation in which we are judged not by the color of our skin, but by the content of our character. In that spirit, I believe that Dr. King would want us to examine the policies and the positions of each of the men running for president and make our decision based upon careful judgment. What I am saying instead is that for the first time in my adult life I feel like I can look each of you in the eye and truthfully say “With hard work and perseverance; with dignitas, gravitas and pietas, you can do anything.”

I’ve gotten to know each of you fairly well over the course of this year, and my greatest joy has been learning that you all have something special about you, and because of that, this country and this world is wide open to you. _____________, you can do and become anything (repeat for each student).

My hope is that we will all look back on the events of June 3rd, 2008 as the beginning of real equality in this country. Everyone in this classroom and in this school will play an important part in making that happen. You can start be being the best “you” that you can be. I am going to miss every one of you, but I look forward to watching you grow and prosper hear at Classical and beyond, and I can’t wait to see what you become.

Link to the school: http://www.classicalmagnet.org/
    Thanks to SarasotaRepub for your help! :D

I have no issue with teachers talking about the history of the moment. I do have a problem with the gushing. The seventh graders should be following the election and forced to learn about the process as well as the policies of the candidates. But the gushing over Obama's "win" is inappropriate.

There is historical significance but the tone of the speech is WAY too supportive. A lot of DUers felt the same way and warn him.

Darth_Kitten (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-04-08 08:10 AM
    Response to Original message
    7. Political views should be kept out of the classroom.......
    JMO.

and of course

Squatch (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-04-08 07:48 AM
    Response to Original message
    2. You might want to throw in props to McCain, despite how distasteful that may seem
    Say his nomination is a laudable accomplishment for senior-citizens, or something to that effect.
    Last edited by LibraryLady; 06-04-2008 at 03:57 PM.

I can see her point. It's the first viable black candidate we've ever had. That's historic and worth pointing out to kids.

But she is taking it too far IMO. Why would you let your students write letters or messages to Obama on the board?

A better thing to do might also be to point out something significant about McCain (former POW would be what I point out). With parental permission, I'd give the addresses out to write letters to both candidates.

Holy crap! Can you imagine if this had been a teacher advocating such a thing about President Bush for winning the presidential elections? The DUmp monkeys would've had frothing conniptions!

Contact information here:

http://www.classicalmagnet.org/staff...fice-staff.php

Email the principal about this. Here's what I sent:

Principal Sullivan,

Today, I read a rather disturbing message posted by one of your instructors on the Democrat Underground discussion forum. The message can be viewed here:

http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=132x6265759

Now, I am all for instructors including current events into their curricula in appropriate courses, but this goes far beyond what is acceptable. This is nothing more than using class time to praise and endorse a political candidate in front of a captive audience. I doubt that the instructor asked for your or anyone else's permission to do this. I hope you will take appropriate measures to correct this issue.
    Last edited by jinxmchue; 06-04-2008 at 11:50 AM.

Power CUer
    Are you a parent at that school? If not, I wouldn't exactly be waiting by my computer to hear the mailbox bell ring.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Are you a parent at that school? If not, I wouldn't exactly be waiting by my computer to hear the mailbox bell ring.
    I got a reply.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I can see her point. It's the first viable black candidate we've ever had. That's historic and worth pointing out to kids.

But she is taking it too far IMO. Why would you let your students write letters or messages to Obama on the board?

A better thing to do might also be to point out something significant about McCain (former POW would be what I point out). With parental permission, I'd give the addresses out to write letters to both candidates.
    Alright, this can't be Bridget. This is waaaaaaaaaay too short. Who is this???:mad:

:p

DU must have caught on, the link says missing thread.
    They're not people, they're hippies!! -Cartman

It is nothing against you to fall down flat, but to lie there - that's disgrace