Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Forward-looking Friday 
    Power CUer
    It's drizzly and grey in the DC area, and warm enough to melt the last vestiges of our big snowstorms. The smell of spring is in the air.

TOTD: How do you (or how did you) decide when to retire? Is there a $ amount you have in mind? An age you have in mind? My target is age 60, but it may be a couple of years longer. My $ is $2 million but a lot depends on the market, inheritances, etc. Does everything have to line up, or do you just say, "Screw it, this is it" ?
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

I will work until I can work no more. I enjoy what I do most of the time, minus some of the mud.

Power CUer
    I don't mind what I do, but it takes a lot of time out of my day. I will retire the MOMENT everything comes together.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I don't mind what I do, but it takes a lot of time out of my day. I will retire the MOMENT everything comes together.
    In a manner of speaking I did retire six years ago. I quit the manufacturing rat race and invested in equipment. Now I work my hours the way I want to and am my own boss. No more time clock!

The snow is finally disappearing (for the moment) and some green things are beginning to poke out of the ground. I see spade work in my future.

TOTD: I started planning for retirement about 5 minutes after I started grown-up work. Mr. Snaps and I have a complicated but robust plan for early retirement. When he retires he will focus on his "real" business which involves first editions and antiques. I will bake cookies. :D

Power CUer
    I'm with you on that, Ginger. And I have a number of first editions that might interest Mr. Snaps, including "The Great Gatsby" and "The Town and the City" by John Kerouac.

I can retire pretty much any time I want to. Just don't feel like it right now.

This weekend will be the last performance with my current band, since I'm leaving. They plan to stay together and get another guitarist, but I own the name, so the guys will have to sort of start over with a new name.

They've been a fun bunch and we had a lot of good times.

The last song we will perform (and I actually sing this one with a vocal compressor) will be this...

http://www.sonofind.com/search/html/...CD069425&w=tr&

Click the play button in the "Duration" line to hear it....good old garage rock.

rm -rf obama*

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I'm with you on that, Ginger. And I have a number of first editions that might interest Mr. Snaps, including "The Great Gatsby" and "The Town and the City" by John Kerouac.
    He probably would be interested. Too interested. :p

I enjoy what I do and I'll probably keep at it in some form or another until I die. I am also looking to go back to school and pick up a theology degree with a minor in philosophy. Perhaps I'll retire and become a priest.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    He probably would be interested. Too interested. :p
    Tell him I also have firsts of "A Death in the Family" by James Agee, the first ten volumes of the Strand Magazine from the 1890s (the first appearances of many of the Sherlock Holmes stories), Queen Victoria's "Leaves from a Journal of Our Life in the Highlands" (and its companion volume, "More Leaves"), "All Quiet on the Western Front", and many others. :)