Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 For The Liberals On These Boards: What Is Your Idea Of Freedom? 
    Since a couple of our resident liberals feel it necessary to start inane threads like Christianity and Communism(or whatever the hell it was), I'd like to get their take on something very important and that is what is their idea of freedom. I ask that they do not be cowards. Have the courage to post honestly. Yes you'll get flamed(probably) but I'm really interested in the subject of liberals and freedom.
    Progressivism is a bottomless pit of absurdity.

Either the liberals on these boards aren't on yet or they're cowards.
    Progressivism is a bottomless pit of absurdity.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Either the liberals on these boards aren't on yet or they're cowards.
    They are probably sleeping in since most liberals dont have jobs.
    Liberals are proof that evolution is only a theory. Nothing that stupid could evolve past a monkey.

Banned
    Freedom doesn't really exist except in anarchy. We've never been a purely 100% country. Government, as a a necessary evil is at it's most basic level restricts freedom with the very founding; that is one of the government's (any government's) main purposes, that and the defense of it's people. Freedom isn't truly definable...I think o freedom in terms of security, and in knowing I can do what I want within reason. In many way as such we aren't a free country.

Freedom has its life in the hearts, the actions, the spirit of men and so it must be daily earned and refreshed - else like a flower cut from its life-giving roots, it will wither and die. ~Dwight D. Eisenhower

The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post

Freedom has its life in the hearts, the actions, the spirit of men and so it must be daily earned and refreshed - else like a flower cut from its life-giving roots, it will wither and die. ~Dwight D. Eisenhower

Referring to Ike's quotation, it is said that we have to refresh by bleeding and dying, just so the whiners and the losers can continue their whining and losing.

Ike is buried here in Abilene, and he is my guy. Maybe the last truly great president we have had.

Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post
    Freedom doesn't really exist except in anarchy. We've never been a purely 100% country. Government, as a a necessary evil is at it's most basic level restricts freedom with the very founding; that is one of the government's (any government's) main purposes, that and the defense of it's people. Freedom isn't truly definable...I think o freedom in terms of security, and in knowing I can do what I want within reason. In many way as such we aren't a free country.
    Wow. I just lost 3 IQ points reading that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Constitutionally Speaking View Post
    Anarchy actually is very restrictive of freedom - you must constantly be on the guard to protect what is yours. Minimal government increases freedom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfor View Post
    Wow. I just lost 3 IQ points reading that.
    So your IQ must be around what, 75, 76 now?

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post
    Anarchy actually is very restrictive of freedom - you must constantly be on the guard to protect what is yours. Minimal government increases freedom.

Banned
    I don't really identify as liberal, but that doesnt stop most here from assuming anyways... so I'll answer:

Freedom - a big word, with lots of different contexts... there's political freedom, freedom of will, etc.. so this thread is already kind of off to a false start - the OP needs to narrow it down a bit.

I'll give it a shot anyways. To boil it down as simply and concisely as possible, freedom is the ability to make choices according to how your beliefs, goals, and desires compel you.

The general idea behind a good society, is to maximize that ability as much as possible, for everybody.
    Last edited by wilbur; 03-13-2010 at 11:43 AM.