Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 A National ID card in 2010? 
    A national ID card in 2010?

National identification cards, long feared by privacy advocates, may soon become mandatory for American workers. In a bipartisan effort to curb the hiring of illegal immigrants, Sens. Charles Schumer (D-NY) and Lindsey Graham (R-SC) have proposed legislation that, if passed, will require all working Americans to carry biometric ID cards containing fingerprint records and other personal information. Sen. Schumer calls the measure "the nub of solving the immigration dilemma." But Chris Calabrese, an American Civil Liberties Union lawyer, warns the cards would be a "massive invasion" of privacy. Are national ID cards the solution to our immigration woes or an unacceptable intrusion into our lives? (Watch Ron Paul chime in on the national ID card debate)

This is an affront to our freedom as Americans: Not only would this "ghastly" plan be a frightening invasion of privacy, says Alex Nowarsteh in Fox News, it "would treat every American like a criminal by requiring them to enter their most intimate and personal data into a government database." This is a "naked government power grab," and it must be stopped.
    "5 reasons why America should steer clear of a national ID card"

The privacy concerns make no sense: If we're ever going to improve our national security, the "infuriatingly nonsensical" hand-wringing over privacy needs to end, says Donn Tennant in IT Business Edge. Many non-criminals, including members of the armed forces and "most public servants," are already fingerprinted, and their liberty remains intact. And having to show "a national ID with your biometric information" at the airport is no more "loathsome" than showing a driver's license.
    "National ID cards: Pointless privacy argument is getting old"
    http://www.theweek.com/article/index...D_card_in_2010
    The ACLU is fighting this tooth and nail, too. It must be a horrible idead if I agree with the ACLU's stand against something. That, or I'm in a Bizarrro World. Of course, their reasoning, I'm sure, is that it's unfair to illegals.

If you want to "fix" the immigration problem, make companies that are caught hiring illegals pay ALL the back income and payroll taxes with interest.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Yes, it is a freakish situation when I too agree with the ACLU.
    Liberals are proof that evolution is only a theory. Nothing that stupid could evolve past a monkey.

Oh my God.

When did we become the criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The ACLU is fighting this tooth and nail, too. It must be a horrible idead if I agree with the ACLU's stand against something. That, or I'm in a Bizarrro World. Of course, their reasoning, I'm sure, is that it's unfair to illegals.

If you want to "fix" the immigration problem, make companies that are caught hiring illegals pay ALL the back income and payroll taxes with interest.
    I think the Idea of the national ID card is so companies know when someone is illegal and therefore non hireable. It's rather difficult to "prove" a company knowingly hired illegals unless the majority of their workers are illegals.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Banned
    I am sitting on the fence with this idea until I know more about the details. I am sure that Libertarians hate this idea. However, you have to have a driver's license to drive a car and when I vote the license or some other form of id. must be shown. If the card could stem the flood of illegals and hamper the ones here from gaining employment, that might be a way to go. However, what would stop them from counterfeiting these cards. I don't especially like the idea of the government gaining more info about me either.

...Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    I am sitting on the fence with this idea until I know more about the details. I am sure that Libertarians hate this idea. However, you have to have a driver's license to drive a car and when I vote the license or some other form of id. must be shown. If the card could stem the flood of illegals and hamper the ones here from gaining employment, that might be a way to go. However, what would stop them from counterfeiting these cards. I don't especially like the idea of the government gaining more info about me either.
    My problem is the biometric chip embedded in it.

This card will start out as just a way of having a job, but it will end up MUCH more than that. Your Social Security number began as just a way to keep up with your social security benefits. Look what it has become.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Fight it with every fiber. We've been doing so in the UK for years.

There is nothing in favour of ID cards that stands up to real scrutiny. The whole concept is wrong, un-British, un-American, just wrong.

Last edited by hampshirebrit; 03-12-2010 at 06:15 PM.
    nie vergessen, nie verzeihen.

I will become an underground worker if this passes. I refuse to have any form of a national ID card. With the shape that our government is in, I have no doubt in my mind that there are more nefarious and underhanded things in mind with this. I do not trust them. What next? A national registration of firearms?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    My problem is the biometric chip embedded in it.

This card will start out as just a way of having a job, but it will end up MUCH more than that. Your Social Security number began as just a way to keep up with your social security benefits. Look what it has become.
    This is exactly the reason I don't want it. The whole thing may start out innocent enough, but how long until it is abused by someone else? Like Rebel said, just look at SSN.
    Liberals are proof that evolution is only a theory. Nothing that stupid could evolve past a monkey.