Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1 Wal Mart Question 
    Senior Member aka:PBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    saco,maine
    Posts
    547
    DemocratSinceBirth (1000+ posts) Sun Mar-14-10 07:14 AM
    Original message
    Wal Mart Question
    I know many people here are morally opposed to shopping at Wal-Mart because of their questionable labor practices. I would like to think you can be a fair merchant, treat your customers and employees the way you would like to be treated, and still make a profit. I still believe but it's difficult nowadays.

    What do you say to folks who shop at Wal-Mart because they can't afford to shop anywhere else?

    I food shop at Wal-Mart, Super Target, Publix, Winn Dixie, and Albertsons and it seems Wal-Mart is demonstrably less expensive.

    I also notice that Wal-Mart is upgrading many of their stores to at least be on par with a Super Target. I think they are doing it because a lot of formerly middle class and upper middle class folks have been so been so beaten up by this horrible economy that they are looking for cheap prices. When the economy improves and if it ever does Wal-Mart doesn't want to lose them.

    This economy has been a gift to Wal-Mart.
    http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=389x7913793

    wow......this ought to be interesting.
    Lets just paint some happy clouds over at the sunshine and lollipop land
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    16,200
    What unfair labor practices is Wal-Mart guilty of? It's funny with these people. The reason why they don't like Wal-Mart is because they believe working is a right and that they are entitled to certain benefits but what they don't understand is that nowhere is it written that businesses are mandated to give benefits. The simple solution is to not work there. But if you do work there, unless you're a manager, if you're working there to support a family, you are a loser.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,301
    Liberals hate Wal-Mart because they have resisted unionization.

    They can't stand the fact they cannot siphon of union dues (and thus democrat campaign money) while they drive another business into bankruptcy.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sunny,FL
    Posts
    43,280
    The Kook Lib say Wal-Mart kills small bidness where ever they build.

    I look at Wal-Mart as just another store I use on occasion. DUmmies have to make everything a political decision.
    May the FORCE be with you!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    16,200
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    The Kook Lib say Wal-Mart kills small bidness where ever they build.

    I look at Wal-Mart as just another store I use on occasion. DUmmies have to make everything a political decision.
    Are they going to target Home Depot and Lowes next? Besides, shopping malls have done more to kill small bidnesses long before Walmart came along.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Super Moderator BadCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In your dreams
    Posts
    15,616
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Are they going to target Home Depot and Lowes next? Besides, shopping malls have done more to kill small bidnesses long before Walmart came along.
    They pretty much hate any business.

    rm -rf obama*
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member Zeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tiny Redneck town in Texas
    Posts
    2,054
    Quote Originally Posted by BadCat View Post
    They pretty much hate any business.

    If it involves work they hate it.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

    It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    no-man's land in Texas
    Posts
    2,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    If it involves work they hate it.
    LOL!

    I believe that is checkmate.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member stsinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,525
    I hate big box stores because, as SR attributed to the Liberal kook, they put the local little guys out of business, and they service is generally poorer.. But I did read that last year Wal Mart contributed to its employees' 401k's, even if the employee didn't..

    http://walmartstores.com/pressroom/news/8244.aspx

    I think they're smarting from the negative labor rumors...
    Last edited by stsinner; 03-14-2010 at 06:22 PM.
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,330
    Quote Originally Posted by stsinner View Post
    I hate big box stores because, as SR said, they put the local little guys out of business, and they service is generally poorer.. But I did read that last year Wal Mart contributed to its employees' 401k's, even if the employee didn't..

    http://walmartstores.com/pressroom/news/8244.aspx

    I think they're smarting from the negative labor rumors...
    SR didn't say that.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •