1. #1 Entire Graduating Class of Urban Prep Charter Academy Accepted to College 
    link

Some liberals sure hate charter schools even when they are successful.

The Straight Story Donating Member (1000+ posts)
    Original message
    Entire Graduating Class of Urban Prep Charter Academy Accepted to College

Entire Graduating Class of Urban Prep Charter Academy Accepted to College
    Only 4 Percent of Class Read at Grade Level When School Was Founded

Chicago's Urban Prep Charter Academy has a mission -- for its students to graduate and succeed in college. Now, for the first graduating class at the high school, it's mission accomplished.

All 107 seniors were accepted to a four-year college, a significant accomplishment considering they are from one of the toughest neighborhoods on the South Side of Chicago.

These are not so-called gifted kids at a private school. The public high school is open to all, choosing students by a lottery.

"It doesn't just happen that public urban schools graduate all of their students and get them into college," said Tim King, the school's founder.

Just four years ago, when King started the school, only 4 percent of the class was reading at grade level.

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/tim-king-st...ry?id=10088324

And they wear ties to school:
    SoCalDem Donating Member (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Sat Mar-13-10 11:58 AM
    Response to Reply #5
    8. there are lotteries and there are lotteries..

let's say 1000 apply.. the applications are surely "gone over" prior to the choosing process..

If 400 are deemed "worthy", the 600 whose number never came up, will also never know that their apps never even made it to the final "drawing"..

The 400 "chosen", will have already been chosen as the cream of the crop, and the exam whittles it down even further.. By the time the final lottery is done, there will have been many cast off, who will never know that their app was not really ever even in the mix..

I am happy that these few kids are on the path to success, but the glorification of charter/private-public schools that swoop in and "claim" buildings that they did not pay to build, and who hire & fire at will, and who hand-select their students, cannt really be called a public school.. That's my ONLY complaint.

They are a PRIVATE (elite) school, and they have & maintain high standards. They are open to the public (by virtue of the price paid by families), but they are not a public-school.
    And your proof would be........simply your bias and prejudice about charter school. Some proof.
    AngryAmish Donating Member (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Sat Mar-13-10 02:40 PM
    Response to Reply #8
    25. Well, this is Chicago

The motivated/politically connected will get their kids in there, lottery results be damned.

The main reason this school did well (other than their hard work) is that they can self select and kick out the trouble makers. Every school should be allowed to do that.
    surrealAmerican Donating Member (1000+ posts)
    Response to Reply #25
    28. That is an important point.

It's not as if these students (the ones who are graduating) were the entire class of incoming freshmen four years ago. Just like any other high school, some of those students dropped out, flunked out, or were kicked out.
    mzteris Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Sat Mar-13-10 03:57 PM
    Response to Reply #8
    40. not true -

applications are not "gone over". They're sealed and not opened until AFTER it's been selected.

"Cream of the Crop", huh? It was what - FOUR PERCENT that were on reading level? You call that CREAM???
    Better Today Donating Member (1000+ posts)
    Response to Original message
    16. I would like to point out that 107 students per graduating class is

REALLY small, we have over 800 in a NE San Antonio (well to do district) school back in the 70's. Unless this charter school maintained the 30-35 students per class, and 6 classes a day per teacher. . . well it may not be the charter-ness of it, it may be the manageable class sizes, individually and collectively
    Ahhh, NO. It would be because students are expected to behave and are held accountable for their behavior. None of that liberal "everyone who is a minority or poor is a victim" mentality. Double English classes and a full 8 hour day doesn't hurt either. Many liberals would be beside themselves about just the creed that they say every day.
    soleiri Donating Member (570 posts)
    22. I just looked at their donor list

Wouldn't it be nice if public schools were funding like this?
    Well, most liberals feel it is up to the government to pay for everything so they refuse to give much of anything. And conservatives would not fund them because of all the liberal propaganda and permissiveness in the public schools. Why would they fund that?
    Orlandodem (292 posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Sat Mar-13-10 01:30 PM
    20. Time out! I read the Year In Review for Urban Prep for 2008-2009. It said 12% of its students

passed the college readiness test. Can someone explain what is so great about this? Maybe I'm missing something.

http://www.urbanprep.org/about/pdf/Urban_Prep_Year_In_R...
    Orlandodem (292 posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Sat Mar-13-10 02:32 PM
    Response to Reply #20
    23. No takers? Anyone? Bueller? Why is it that 12% passing on a college readiness reading test is

something to celebrate?
    Maybe because the neighborhood school only had 0, that's right zero percent who met the college readiness benchmark in English
    http://www.urbanprep.org/about/pdf/U...08_to_2009.pdf

On the ACT exam, Urban Prep students achieved an average composite score of
    16.5, which is 3 points higher than the average composite score at the neighborhood
    school and one point above the average for African-American boys across the
    district. On average, 12% of our students met the college readiness benchmark
    in reading and 36% met the benchmark in English, compared to zero and 6%
    respectively for boys at the neighborhood school.
    Urban Prep believes its double
    period English courses and focus on writing in all of its subjects helps students
    close the learning gap with which they enter Urban Prep.

]soleiri Donating Member (570 posts)
    22. I just looked at their donor list

Wouldn't it be nice if public schools were funding like this?
    It is interesting to note that Atlanta spends the highest amount per student of city in the U.S. and continually is one of the worse academically performing school systems in the country. Seems that money isn't always the answer. My information on this is a couple of years old but even if there has been some change I think the point is made.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Sonnabend
    AngryAmish Donating Member (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Sat Mar-13-10 02:40 PM
    Response to Reply #8
    25. Well, this is Chicago

The motivated/politically connected will get their kids in there, lottery results be damned.

The main reason this school did well (other than their hard work) is that they can self select and kick out the trouble makers. Every school should be allowed to do that.
    Chicago....ILLINOIS????

Obama's home state? Tsk tsk....
    :D:D:D

Liberals are always prepared to let perfection be the enemy of good. If it's not 100% perfect then nobody should have any of it since that's not "fair". Jesus wept.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Liberals are always prepared to let perfection be the enemy of good. If it's not 100% perfect then nobody should have any of it since that's not "fair". Jesus wept.
    Well said Ginger :D
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    I saw this story on the news.

Good on these young men. I wish them well.

Growing up in a hard place, urban or rural, can be devastating. God bless anyone who helps.

And damn DU.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    I saw this story on the news.

Good on these young men. I wish them well.

Growing up in a hard place, urban or rural, can be devastating. God bless anyone who helps.

And damn DU.
    Exactly... you'd think they'd be happy. . .but since they can't get credit, they'd rather they would fail.

Jackasses.

~QC
    "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Rudyard Kipling - (1865-1936)

Context doesn't matter to this liberal it seems/ as long as it satisfies his godless dreams/ like monkeys throwing sh!t as castles in air/ as long as he throws/that is the extent of his care.

Detroit Public Schools' MEAP (Michigan Assessment tests) came in last week. Their reading scores were substantially higher than the last year, but their math scores dropped.

There's a lot of pressure on the mayor to take over the district and disband the school board (including the illiiterate guy). The teacher's unions don't like the governor's appointed budget director, and he gave a speech last night announcing that 45 more schools are going to close at the end of the school year, which parents don't like because Detroit only has school buses for special education, and parents are responsible for transporting their kids to school-high school kids usually ride DOT.