Thread: Dark Film on Teenagers Echoes From Mall to Church

1. #1 Dark Film on Teenagers Echoes From Mall to Church 
    This is truly frightening. I have heard rumors of things like this here in the states but I don't think that I've ever encountered it, but then again I don't spend a lot of time at the malls in town.

Katarzyna Roslaniec, a young filmmaker, first spotted a cluster of mall girls three years ago, decked out in thigh-high latex boots. She followed them and chatted them up over cigarettes. Over the next six months, the teens told her about their sex lives, about the men they called “sponsors,” about their lust for expensive labels, their absent parents, their premature pregnancies, their broken dreams.

Ms. Roslaniec, 29, scribbled their secrets in her notepad, memorizing the way they peppered their speech with words like “frajer” — “loser” in English. She gossiped with them on Grono.net, the Polish equivalent of Facebook. Soon, she said, she had a network of dozens of mall girls.

The result is the darkly devastating fictional film, “Galerianki,” or Mall Girls, which premiered in Poland in the autumn and has provoked a national debate about moral decadence in this conservative, predominantly Catholic country, 20 years after the fall of Communism.

It is difficult to quantify how many real mall girls there are since they do not identify themselves as sex workers and call their clients “boyfriends” or “benefactors” to maintain the illusion that they are not prostitutes. But Polish social workers say the phenomenon is growing, a side-effect of the collision of Western consumer culture with Eastern Europe’s post-Communist economy.

The film that started the discussion tells the story of four teenage girls who turn tricks in the restrooms of shopping malls to support their clothing addiction. It has attained such cult status that parents across the country say they are confiscating DVDs of the film for fear it provides a lurid instruction manual.

The revelation that Catholic girls, some from middle-class families, are prostituting themselves for a Chanel scarf or an expensive sushi dinner is causing many here to question whether materialism is polluting the nation’s soul.
    The story is here

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Resident Grump
    Oh, I have...all too often. That issue is not relegated to just one country....trust me.

Man.:(

Situational Awareness (SA) is a subject that needs to be taught and discussed in every family and every school. Unfortunately, as the article pointed out, the parents are absent or pre-occupied, and in many cases teachers have as little SA as their charges.

A highly developed sense of SA will prevent pregnancy, prevent poor marriage choices, result in good career choices, and even prevent automobile crashes. These girls are involved in a slow motion train wreck.:(

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    Oh, I have...all too often. That issue is not relegated to just one country....trust me.

I agree, I work with kids. A lot of the girls I work with have usually learned at a pretty young age that their sexuality is a marketable commodity.

This is a failure of culture. These girls (and boys, I'm sure) sincerely believe that expensive objects are more important than any internal self worth. Their interior lives are empty. What will happen to them when a younger, fresher crop comes along? :(

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    This is a failure of culture. These girls (and boys, I'm sure) sincerely believe that expensive objects are more important than any internal self worth. Their interior lives are empty. What will happen to them when a younger, fresher crop comes along? :(
    Western civilization is becoming a culture of compromise based on rampant me-ism. People are willing to devalue their principles (and themselves) if it furthers some immediate objective. There is no thought to the long term effects of hasty decisions. I know that teens aren't the best at this to begin with, but it seems to be a lot worse now than when I was a teen. Now parents and society reinforce this behavior. Every thing from abortion to cosmetic surgery to prostituting yourself for expensive clothing more than suggests that the current cultural attitude is that anything is permissible if an acceptable price can be negotiated. As long as the need that I have here and now is met then how I go about meeting that need is unimportant. Our future is being taught that appearences trump character.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Western civilization is becoming a culture of compromise based on rampant me-ism. People are willing to devalue their principles (and themselves) if it furthers some immediate objective. There is no thought to the long term effects of hasty decisions. I know that teens aren't the best at this to begin with, but it seems to be a lot worse now than when I was a teen. Now parents and society reinforce this behavior. Every thing from abortion to cosmetic surgery to prostituting yourself for expensive clothing more than suggests that the current cultural attitude is that anything is permissible if an acceptable price can be negotiated. As long as the need that I have here and now is met then how I go about meeting that need is unimportant. Our future is being taught that appearences trump character.

You are right about a lot of parents reinforcing these things. And kids don't participate in the activities (scouts, JROTC, youth groups, etc.) that we all did as kids, activities that lead to the development of better moral character, so those without good parents are not getting any moral instruction unless a neighbor or person in their community takes an interest in them.

But the thing is that most kids crave direction, they want their parents and caretakers to set guidelines and limits. They feel safest that way. They are embarrassed by parents who try to be hip, and ultimately, the kids end up running the house.

I'm torn. The article says she did her research, but the movie says it's fictional. I am extremely pessimistic about the younger generation here and abroad, but I can't help but wonder how much creative license is taken and how much generalization comes out. Many of us lived in the 80's but it wasn't Fast Times at Ridgmont High. (or even fast times at Ridgemont Grade School for some of us)

Couldn't help but notice this little salvo across the bow in the article....
    Ms. Roslaniec called mall girls the daughters of capitalism.
    There is a fast circle back to pointing at the parents for absconding their roles, but it appears that the reason the parents are gone is that evil free market.
    Romans 6:18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

Differences between Obama and God: God's plan to save us is actually written down for people to read. Rush Limbaugh.

My blog: How Things Look From Here Politics, religion, random stuff, now on Wednesdays!

Quote Originally Posted by enslaved1 View Post
    I'm torn. The article says she did her research, but the movie says it's fictional. I am extremely pessimistic about the younger generation here and abroad, but I can't help but wonder how much creative license is taken and how much generalization comes out. Many of us lived in the 80's but it wasn't Fast Times at Ridgmont High. (or even fast times at Ridgemont Grade School for some of us)

Couldn't help but notice this little salvo across the bow in the article....

There is a fast circle back to pointing at the parents for absconding their roles, but it appears that the reason the parents are gone is that evil free market.

Fast Times at Ridgmont High came out the year I graduated from high school (1982). I grew up in a fairly conservative community (suburban Grand Rapids, MI). That said:

We had "the corner" for the first 3 years I attended EKHS. That's where the fry-brains (what we called stoners back then) gathered to smoke weed and cigarettes, just off of campus.
    There were two girls who were visibly pregnant at my graduation. A girl in my brother's class (1981) had an abortion and everyone found out about it, it had to have been terrible for her.
    At the end of my junior year, the school and the Kent County Sheriff's department shut down the corner and arrested a bunch of people, students and non-students alike. My senior year, the kids who had previously smoked weed at the corner started popping pills inside the school, instead.
    The night of graduation, we had an all-night party at the school. At the end of the party (5 am), the principal asked me if I would help him make sure all the kids who had gotten drunk before arriving at the party got home safely. I filled the Cutlass F-85 up three times before I went home to sleep.

Our teachers and administrators actually cared what happened to us, for the most part, and prevented a lot of things that happened at other schools in my area-like kids having sex with each other in the hallway, smoking dope/drinking alcohol in the school, major fighting, stuff like that. But it was Fast Times at Kentwood High, no doubt about it. I just wasn't a part of all that. My brother was involved to some degree (alcohol, but not pot), though, and I lost friends from elementary and middle school who chose to do that stuff.

Resident Grump
    but I can't help but wonder how much creative license is taken and how much generalization comes out.
    The reality is much harsher.:(