Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Judge rules professorís opinion columns not protected by First Amendment 
    RALEIGH, N.C. ó A federal judge ruled Monday that nationally syndicated opinion columns written by a criminology professor at the University of North Carolina-Wilmington are not protected by the First Amendment because he referred to them on a promotion application.

ADF attorneys argue that the university refused to promote Dr. Mike Adams to full professor because of his religious beliefs and political viewpoints, as espoused through his columns. They are considering their options for appealing the decision.

Case Name: Adams v. The Trustees of the University of North Carolina-Wilmington

Full news release, quotes, and related media resources available at the following link:

http://www.adfmedia.org/News/PRDetail/3901

FROM: http://www.alliancealert.org/wordpre...rst-amendment/
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

http://www.adfmedia.org/News/PRDetail/3901

Judge rules professor’s opinion columns not protected by First Amendment
    ADF attorneys considering appeal of decision in lawsuit against UNC-Wilmington
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010

RALEIGH, N.C. — A federal judge ruled Monday that nationally syndicated opinion columns written by a criminology professor at the University of North Carolina-Wilmington are not protected by the First Amendment because he referred to them on a promotion application.

ADF attorneys argue that the university refused to promote Dr. Mike Adams to full professor because of his religious beliefs and political viewpoints, as espoused through his columns. They are considering their options for appealing the decision.

“Christian professors should not be discriminated against because of their beliefs. No university should refuse promotion to an accomplished professor simply because it disagrees with his religious and political views,” said ADF Senior Counsel Jordan Lorence. “We disagree with the court’s assessment that Dr. Adams’ speech is somehow not protected by the Constitution. Opinion columns are classic examples of free speech protected by the First Amendment, and mentioning them on a promotion application does not change this fact.”

Adams frequently received accolades from his colleagues after the university hired him as an assistant professor in 1993 and promoted him to associate professor in 1998 when he was an atheist. However, intrusive investigations, baseless accusations, and the denial of promotion to full professor followed his conversion to Christianity in 2000, even though his scholarly output surpassed that of almost all of his colleagues.

ADF attorneys representing Adams sued UNCW in April 2007, arguing that he was harassed and denied a promotion because his Christian beliefs did not coincide with the political and philosophical stance of his superiors. The court denied the university’s motion to dismiss the lawsuit in 2008.

The summary judgment order in the case Adams v. The Trustees of the University of North Carolina-Wilmington was issued by the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina, Southern Division.

Mike Adams is the Chuck Norris of fighting for conservative Christian values on college campuses!
    He will win and have them whining!

: ďGrow your own dope. Plant a liberal.Ē
    Ē Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    sucks but he might want to go someplace Like Hillsdale that will actually respect his opinion

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    sucks but he might want to go someplace Like Hillsdale that will actually respect his opinion
    I hope he stays right where he is. It sucks that they're screwing him over, but we need people willing to point out the intolerance and hypocrisy within so many of our left-leaning colleges and universities. The fact that they are allowing their political views to determine his advancement is an important thing for those that believe in "tolerance and diversity" to see...and to have their noses rubbed in.
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obamaís $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. Itís no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obamaís own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsSmith View Post
    I hope he stays right where he is. It sucks that they're screwing him over, but we need people willing to point out the intolerance and hypocrisy within so many of our left-leaning colleges and universities. The fact that they are allowing their political views to determine his advancement is an important thing for those that believe in "tolerance and diversity" to see...and to have their noses rubbed in.
    I don't disagree. the problem will be with animosity between him and the Dean/board/whoever is his boss. If he wins he will be harassed until he quits or they find a way to fire him

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSmith View Post
    Speaking one's mind does come with potential costs. While I am a fan of Dr. Adams and I support him 100% sometimes we are taken to task because of our views. The Dixie Chicks come to mind here. I'm sure that Natalie Maines felt as adamant about her views as Mike Adams feels about his. I know that I have certain views and have expressed that the could cause me trouble at work if I was called on them. I understand this and I accept the consequences of expressing my views. If I wasn't willing to take a fall for my opinions then they aren't worth having. I didn't get up in arms when the Dixie Chicks where losing sponsors and having concerts canceled. I'd be a hypocrite if I reacted any differently for Dr. Adams.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post

Hillsdale College. I only know two things about it:

1. They take no federal money, therefore are free of the ties that go along with that money
    and
    2. There was a really nasty sex scandal there about a decade ago, in which the President of the college was sleeping with his daughter in law, who later committed suicide over the matter.

I have a friend who considered going there, but chose MSU instead. Most do, MSU is a big party school, just like Florida State.

Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    Mike Adams is the Chuck Norris of fighting for conservative Christian values on college campuses!
    He will win and have them whining!
    Legally he should win. There may be private consequences for speech since the First Amendment applies only to his interactions with governmental bodies. If the University is public it's First Amendment protected, in my view.
    If it's us or them, I choose us.
    ============================
    Freedom speaks English.
    ============================
    September 11; a moment of great moral clarity

Notice the difference between how the conservative professor and the leftist professor react to being passed over for full tenure. One deals with it through law - the other starts shooting people . . . .